Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rude shop assistants my pet hate.
Hey guys,

I just wanted to voice one of my pet hates and that is rude shop assistants. Well today I went to the shops and the woman short changed me and denied it after I had given her a £20 note and she gave me change for a £10 and I was like "love you've short changed me". Well despite her protests and being awfully rude things escalated and I asked to speak to the manager who was very apologetic and I got a free £5 gift voucher for men's products. I just can't believe the rudeness of some of these people, I make it my business to know about money and I'm always aware of how much I'm giving. But this isn't a rare occurance for me there have been several times where I have been combatted with rude behaviour in many high end stores so I am guessing it's just snobbery and the fact I am quite young?

Once I went into All Saints and bought 3 pairs if shoes which were quite expensive and the assistant said "are you sure you can afford that?" to which I replied "mate I'm wearing a £400 watch I'm sure I can handle it". Obviously if I have asked for them to get them for me I am going to purchase them. Plus I think it's a bit cheeky for someone to ask if I can afford what I'm buying. Lol. Despite these hiccups I do try to be civil and keep my cool but I dunno is proper etiquette in shops like saying "good morning, or hello sir" a lost art. I dunno it doesn't take that much to provide service with a smile. Is this really common place now and are my expectations too high?

The flip side of that coin is rude and agressive customers.

I could tell a few tales.

buy it on line

Mrk, when I was about 20 years old I went into a music store to buy a $3000 guitar that I had been lusting over for a few years. There were a few different models of the guitar and I wanted to play each of them to see which I liked the best. The guy who was running the guitar section of the music store told me he "couldn't just be pulling $3000 guitars off the wall for some kid to play." How's that for cheeky? I walked out with $3500 in my pocket immediately and went somewhere else.

As for the general rudeness of a shop assistant, I agree with you. It's their job to be a conduit to the public and represent the shop in a polite way. I always try and be compassionate because you never know what someone is going through, but then you usually can tell when someone is just being rude.

avidcyclistMTB Wrote:Mrk, when I was about 20 years old I went into a music store to buy a $3000 guitar that I had been lusting over for a few years. There were a few different models of the guitar and I wanted to play each of them to see which I liked the best. The guy who was running the guitar section of the music store told me he "couldn't just be pulling $3000 guitars off the wall for some kid to play." How's that for cheeky? I walked out with $3500 in my pocket immediately and went somewhere else.

As for the general rudeness of a shop assistant, I agree with you. It's their job to be a conduit to the public and represent the shop in a polite way. I always try and be compassionate because you never know what someone is going through, but then you usually can tell when someone is just being rude.

See the main thing is, I believe if I give them curtesy and I'm polite I expect the same back. They provide a service and I'm willing to part with my money in their establishment, the least they should give me Is a smile. lol

avidcyclistMTB Wrote:Mrk, when I was about 20 years old I went into a music store to buy a $3000 guitar that I had been lusting over for a few years. There were a few different models of the guitar and I wanted to play each of them to see which I liked the best. The guy who was running the guitar section of the music store told me he "couldn't just be pulling $3000 guitars off the wall for some kid to play." How's that for cheeky? I walked out with $3500 in my pocket immediately and went somewhere else.

Lol, that's so the opposite now. If you walked in with all that money, retailers would be ripping their instruments of the wall Roflmao .

But I get you though somewhat. I went to Sam Ash in Florida last year and was scoping out a Cello that I wanted, but because I had to come back home, I'd have to buy an extra seat or pay for an extra carry on[As I was already carrying a Violin for my teacher], so I didn't buy it, but did I ever play it! lol

The guy was patient enough, but I can tell he was like; "where's the money bro?" Rofl .

Technically, at Music Retail stores, the people who work there are generally supposed to help you with your needs, because they are usually musicians themselves or knowledgable of such.

It's better, some recommend, to go to a professional Luthier, that way you can get your instrument made for you or can choose from his/her collection of instruments[i.e - in my case, string instruments].

Anywho Wink

~

In regards to the original topic, I totally agree.

Some people today are so rude...

Even where I work at the Zoo, there's this 14/15 year old girl who started this summer[after me of course], who was assigned to watch and educate people on our Lemurs [as it is an open exhibit, so they can touch them - though they shouldn't as they do bite] and I was cleaning the Radiated Tortoise enclosure, which is in the same area, and is also open[although with a short fence to keep them from walking all over the place], and her boyfriend must've came in and she was totally ignoring people who were asking about the Lemurs and I had to answer peoples questions, even though I wasn't assigned there that day.

Then she whipped out her Blackberry, which is against the rules, as no electronics can be used in public while on duty and wasn't even paying attention. I just rolled my eyes.

I'm so thankful she's only there for the summer...

Even on my bad days, I try to offer alittle joke or something, because I don't want people to think I'm some nasty grouch and not want to come back.

Although... there was this one guy who kept trying to touch the Radiated Tortoises[I love hanging out with these little guys :> ] and I said, "No you can't touch them, because they bite" and he was like, "well you're touching them" and I was like ... "I work here?" . I was rubbing their necks, but that's only because I knew what I was doing. It's against the rules for someone who doesn't work there to touch an animal that can inflict injury.

He was irritating me, because he kept trying to argue with me, infront of other people who were trying to enjoy themselves and take pictures. He eventually went away.

So sometimes it is the other person, but I still believe in atleast trying to be civil if not nice.

In this day and age, if you want to keep your job and you deal with the public as part of your job, you just have to suck it up, even on the bad days. There are 100 people out there waiting to take your place. As a business owner, I have had to instruct our sales person a few times that our customer may not always be right, but that person is still potentially buying something from us. We deal with wealthy people most of the time and they can certainly be a handful. I always say to smother them with nice and they have no reason to walk out the door without buying something, even if they are the rudest person you've ever met.

I personally man our showroom from time to time and when I get one of those folks who I'd rather choke than deal with, I excuse myself briefly, catch my breath and come back with a big, fake smile and make the sale!

Queenie, I have found an incredible company who I buy my instruments from out of San Diego, CA. They custom build with an unconditional return policy and are factory direct to the consumer. Nothing but good results and at half the price of comparable instruments. Only guitars and basses though.

one of my favorite secenes from Abb Fab tv show was when edina was walking out of a very posh store and turned to the asistant and said "you can drop the attitude ! you just work in a shop u know" , their in that posion to help make sails not judge a customers bank balance..

as for getting short changed !! ive started reading the final 4 serial number digits on the note i pass over - you soon recieve an appologie when u can quote that back to them Smile, if its a large amout i will count it out infront of them first - learnt thoughs 2 tips the hard way too

avidcyclistMTB Wrote:Queenie, I have found an incredible company who I buy my instruments from out of San Diego, CA. They custom build with an unconditional return policy and are factory direct to the consumer. Nothing but good results and at half the price of comparable instruments. Only guitars and basses though.

That sounds lovely. Sort of like what I was saying about the Luthiers. We have no luthiers here, but I saw a few during my trip to Florida.

I wish I wasn't so poor, I'd have bought a new Cello and maybe a new Viola[although, Albertha's still young so... Wink ].

Only Guitars? Sad lol.
Hopefully you mean Bass Guitar and not the Double Bass/ Contrabass Rofl . That'd be a hassle.

But I'm happy you got what you wanted Smile... and for half the price! :biggrin:

I feel ya mrk. I get dirty looks when I use the main train station in my town - I walk to the smaller one nearer me but because it is not manned I cannot get a ticket so my plan is to get a ticket at the main station, and they KNOW the situation with the smaller station but I get looked at like I am a criminal and asked why I do not have a ticket.