Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seems like every couple years there is an attack on LGBT!
So in California State Bill 48 (SB 48) passed, it's called the FAIR education act. What it does is require California schools from grades K-12 to teach about the benefits of minority groups to the State of California and the United States in classes such as history and social sciences. So the schools would be required to teach about things such as the women’s rights movement, African American rights, people with disabilities rights, etc. including the LGBT community.

The bill does not state any words the teachers have to use or even how to teach it. That is left up to the local schools, teachers, and parents to decide.

Well mainly led by Christian coalition, among a few other groups, they are seeking the needed number of signatures to put a repeal on the ballot for Nov. 2012 to repeal the part of the bill about the schools teaching about contributions from the LGBT community to the state of California and the United States.

I saw a video posted on facebook of a women collecting signatures in Oceanside, CA (near San Diego) where she had a repeal SB 48 petition to be signed and on the sign next to it had pictures of Elizabeth Smart and misleading people into thinking that the petition is against child molesters, rapist, and murderers in order to get signatures.

Naturally I think this is ridiculous and teaching children about the LGBT community, what it is, how they've benefited the state and the nation in the civil rights arena can only benefit. I know this for a fact! It might help to reduce bullying in schools but also let children who feel they might be gay have a solid base of information about what it means to be homosexual and the positive benefits of the LGBT community.

Now if I had this type of information in elementary school I likely wouldn't of been so petrified to mention anything about the thoughts I had of me being gay when I realized it in 7th grade, thus leading to a much easier, happier life where I came out and dealt with this in Junior High or High School instead of waiting until telling my family and friends by my mid-20's!

It's just super frustrating to see this type of stuff going on every election period. I'm getting tired of having to always have these arguments with others regarding LGBT rights but I guess it has to be done...

hamsandwizh Wrote:... Now if I had this type of information in elementary school I likely wouldn't of been so petrified to mention anything about the thoughts I had of me being gay when I realized it in 7th grade, thus leading to a much easier, happier life where I came out and dealt with this in Junior High or High School instead of waiting until telling my family and friends by my mid-20's!
It's just super frustrating to see this type of stuff going on every election period ...

How many couples manage to hurt both them selves and possibly children in a failed attempt to meet social expectations.

Why is sooo difficult for a son or daughter to come out their parents. Because they fear they will loose their parents love and support. The son daughter will be all alone.

I've always despised the attempt to control children by keeping them ignorant, and it's counterproductive as well as betraying the supposed purpose of schools (which most will say is about teaching them how to live as adults). The belief is that if children know about it that they'll do it. That's why many are against sex ed, because they believe if teens know how to have safe sex then they'll be more likely to do it (and evidence to the contrary be damned). That is, they'd rather their kids live in fear (and hopefully choose abstinence with those who don't who get pregnant or diseased as a result serving as an example to the rest and punished for their sins against God) than give them the information they need (if not then, then one day). Some have even claimed that admitting masturbation exist would encourage kids to masturbate when they otherwise wouldn't! So I imagine they also believe that if gay people are taught as something other than shameful then the kids will be ok with being gay and there's more chance that their own kids will become so when they otherwise wouldn't.

You might like this vid on something similar, a reply to someone who doesn't want her kids exposed to homosexuality:

3:45-5:35

6:00-end

Clap

When they had the anti gay marriage petition here in my small Bay Area Town at Traders Joes...they had ONE SIGNATURE after sitting there for 2 1/2 hours. The petition next to her had 6 1/2 pages and they had been there 1/2 hour less (I asked with great amusement)...I think it was about school bonds. I told her maybe she should move to Kansas and help out Fred Phelps. She feigned fake outrage and challenged me..telling me she "loved" homosexuals but wanted to protect the sanctity of marriage. I told her to get her ass down to Divorce Court and put her money where her mouth is. Seems to me divorce is ruining her precious sanctimony of marriage whatever the hell that means.

When you see these people..challenge them. You have a voice...use it!

East Wrote:... She feigned fake outrage and challenged me..telling me she "loved" homosexuals but wanted to protect the sanctity of marriage. I told her to ...

the 3-8% gay population, if given the right to marry, will not change anything. I would tell her that.