Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I adopt Arkansas as my home state?
I know that I'm from Minnesota but the thing is, Minnesota doesn't really need representation. Everyone, no matter how far away, that I talk to has a positive opinion of the state. Arkansas, not so much... There are great things in Arkansas but I kinda feel like nobody is representing the state.

Is it up for adoption? LOL

Jake Wrote:Is it up for adoption? LOL

Haha this!

take it in baby steps... think about adopting a puppy first.

I'd think a goldfish would be a baby step, you don't get a puppy until you're at least ready for toddler steps. But if I were you, I probably would call Arkansas my home state since you do indicate that you live there during the school year - which is most of the year. But I do have the luxury of living in the most hated state in the union (Texas).

Jake Wrote:Is it up for adoption? LOL

Yep. Abe Lincoln was from Kentucky but he adopted Illinois as his home state.

Don't make fun of me for saying that, my dad uses the term "adopted" in this context so I thought it was the standard term

If that is what floats your boat...sure...go ahead...

I think I should adopt Monterey (California)....I wonder if they would let me? Evil_lol

What do you mean represent the state? Do you plan on getting some job with some Arkansas travel bureau or economic development agency? What exactly does adopting it as your home state do to change the image? I guess I just don't understand. I am officially a resident of California, but live part of the year in the Detroit area, so I have that currently listed as my town but when I return to California will change it back. Either way, Detroit is a city misunderstood and if I happen to see or hear some misinformation about it, I will correct it, whether I'm in Michigan or California, but otherwise I really don't feel the need to "represent" Michigan or California. Other than being a good citizen of the place I currently live, it is really not my job.

Oh but Minnesota does have representation, bad representation. As an example, I offer Sen. Al Franken. One of the least qualified people to ever serve in an important public office. As for Arkansas, certainly you should move there if your last name is Walton or Clinton. Or you're related to the hanging judge in Ft. Smith. Where in the Diamond State did you plan to settle? Why not West Memphis? Anything you can do for a municipality, you can do for West Memphis. A friend of mine majored in French (!) at the University of Arkansas. As she said, it prepared her to speak French to other Graduates of the University of Arkansas. Have you checked all the list of worst places to live, work, have social life, be accepted as a gay man, municipal facilities? Arkansas easily makes all those lists and several more dealing with medical problems such as the number of people having pellagra or rickets....and you honestly want to move there? What are they paying you to write that? Minnesota may not be all that you want but, comparatively, it's a paradise.

Arkansota Wrote:Yep. Abe Lincoln was from Kentucky but he adopted Illinois as his home state.

Don't make fun of me for saying that, my dad uses the term "adopted" in this context so I thought it was the standard term
Forgive me for differing with you here, but I believe you are incorrect with the context here. Abraham Lincoln did not make some conscious choice or give much thought about whether Illinois or Kentucky should be his home state. When they say he adopted Illinois as home state, it is meant he moved there and made a life there. His family left Kentucky when he was 7 years old and never turned back and then he lived in Indiana for the rest of his childhood before moving to Illinois where he spent nearly all his adult life, married, owned a business and then then the family home, had children, became a lawyer, was elected to public office in several positions before becoming president. It just seems natural that Illinois would be his home state. I don't think most people would call the state they left at 7 their home state