Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should sex offenders be allowed to appeal?
fredv3b Wrote:You want to lock people up for life because you are not sure about them??

I challenge you to give an example of someone convicted of a crime whose only punishment was being placed on the Sex Offenders Register.

we are talking about convicted pedos here,you have to have been convicted for a crime and have spend something like 2.5 years in prison,I thought you would have know that fact,we are talking about being put on the register to "safe guard the public" the point I was making was the register can hardly be seen as a form of punishment or against some ones human rights when they have already shown they have it in them to do this sort of thing,is it against human rights when a criminal has on their record for life a record of the crime,there are many things that a person has on file for life,I would think pedos think themselves lucky that it's only a register they are on and not a fire.

fredv3b Wrote:It's quite significant, especially as it does not require the 'offender' to be convicted of anything in a court of law.

thats just wrong,to be on the register you have had to have been convicted and spend time in prison for the crime!.

fredv3b Wrote:I challenge you to give an example of someone convicted of a crime whose only punishment was being placed on the Sex Offenders Register.

make your mind up, you challenge me then only a few posts later say they don't even have to have been convicted of anything!!!!

While I believe the a sexual offense is one of the harshest offences one can commit, I do believe that everyone deserves the right of forgiveness and the opportunity to correct their actions.

As for a term given to reconcile their actions, 15 years can be arguably too short or too long. I do however believe that if someone can show that they realize the magnitude of their crime, and work to correct their mistakes..... their past should remain in the past.

If you had commited a sexual offense at 25 years old (all it takes is one moment of stupidity), would you want that mistake to follow you until you reach 50, 60, or 70? Would you want your name to be removed from the record after you die? I wouldn't.... I would want a chance for forgiveness and resolve.

In general, I dislike the way sex offender lists etc are set up. Does anyone watch Raising Hope? They had a humorous episode in which the whole family ended up on the list for various reasons... while funny, it pointed out flaws in the system.

Even before all this, my opinion was swayed by the following.... A close friend of mine from college had met a guy from a town near my hometown. My older sister recognized that name, and soon after forwarded me a link of him on the list. I consulted with another friend, unsure of how to best bring up the subject. When all was said and done, it turned out the guy had sex with a girl he was dating, and though they were only a few years apart, he was an adult and she was a minor... her parents pressed charges or something. I'm hazy on details which have come secondhand, but my friend and this guy married, and had their first baby last fall.

Now, though I think classifications and lists need to be changed, I've had friends who have been molested as kids, and these people deserve more than to be put on lists. Should they be able to appeal after a certain amount of time? Perhaps... I'm not sure I'm the one who should decide who gets a second chance or not. But I also feel the people that commit these crimes often deserve a bit more time in jail etc than they often get.

bbm2k Wrote:(all it takes is one moment of stupidity), would you want that mistake to follow you until you reach 50, 60, or 70? Would you want your name to be removed from the record after you die? I wouldn't.... I would want a chance for forgiveness and resolve.

one moment of stupidity! you really think that what a pedo does can be classed as a moment of stupidity,you make it sound like we all have it in us to do such things,and that if we loose it for a min will cross the line,sorry but it takes more than a moment to get a child alone and scare them enough not to tell then to do when ever they feel like,we all have rights but if you are a pedo then the right of the child and us to feel safe is more important than their right.ffs we are not talking about killing them but just knowing where they live,I know I would want to know if my kid was going to a school where a teacher is employed that has a 30 year old conviction,just think about that for a sec.

All I am saying is the when I was 18 and my boyfriend was 17, I could have ended up on that list..... Is that appropriate? Is that fair?

Exactly bbm2k .... a person could also end up on the list for public urinating. Hardly the same thing as being a molestor but you could end up on the same list (in the US; perhaps there's some confusion due to some of us being in the UK, some in the US, etc. and differences in the laws)

And yes, I have public urinated in an alley before when I couldn't find a restroom and hoped to god no one would see me (and yes, I was sober lol)

bbm2k Wrote:All I am saying is the when I was 18 and my boyfriend was 17, I could have ended up on that list..... Is that appropriate? Is that fair?

yes mate I understand what you are saying but we are coming at this from different places, first the USA and the UK have different conditions needed to be listed and also being on the list for what some see as not a good reason, is not the argument,we are talking about once you are on the list if you should ever be taken off it,I agree the situation you mention should not be classed the same as a pedo.

jbrowder24 Wrote:Exactly bbm2k .... a person could also end up on the list for public urinating. Hardly the same thing as being a molestor but you could end up on the same list (in the US; perhaps there's some confusion due to some of us being in the UK, some in the US, etc. and differences in the laws)

And yes, I have public urinated in an alley before when I couldn't find a restroom and hoped to god no one would see me (and yes, I was sober lol)

thats just crazy,we have some funny laws but thats just wrong,I'm guessing and hoping that it's either a different list or the "offence" is listed as pissing up a wall?