Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small dog training
Does anyone have experience training small dogs? I have a small dog that's around 9 to 10 pounds. She's half pomeranian and half cocker spaniel. (a cockeranian?). I'll post a picture in my gallery one of these days, but she looks like a Pekingese or King Charles Spaniel, as she has very floppy ears, and is very fluffy. She also has blue eyes that puts the fear of god into any who stare into them.
She's already two years old, and still isn't as trained as I'd like. She's been getting better at holding it in until outside, she still pees and poops indoors on occasion. Because I live in a rural area, I'd like to be able to just walk outside with her and let her run loose, but she takes off. I can still catch her, but it can be both a pain and exhausting. I have a sheltie who doesn't run away when loose, at least when I'm keeping an eye on him. My childhood dog was anothe boy sheltie and he was the same way - he'd never run away when keeping an eye on him. Then I had a female sheltie that we bred with him, she would never run away, ever, even by herself.
My house has two more cockeranians, they're my dog's siblings and are my moms, and they also take off when loose. They let me catch them, but it's a pain because they run to the neighbors property. My uncle has another of my dog's siblings, and he doesn't run away when lose. All my uncle does is just open the door, and let him back in after a few minutes. I don't want to keep my dog unsupervised outdoors because I worry a hawk will get her, she's that small, but I would like her to run free when with me. I just don't know how to train her to be like that. I think a big part of why my cockeranians take off is curiousity. My shelties would roam my village and probably got bored of it once they explored it. But when I was kid, I could chase after them onto my neighbors yards and it'd be no big deal - I was a kid, it was probably dangerous for me to be running on my neighbors property, but my neighbors wouldn't find it weird. Well, now it would be pretty weird if my neighbors saw a man in his late twenties chasing after a small dog in their backyard. Plus the cockeranians are a lot smaller and more delicate than the shelties.
Does anyone know any tricks to dog training? My dog is getting really spoiled, and she keeps resisting the leash.

(05-08-2020, 08:05 PM)Chase Wrote: Does anyone have experience training small dogs? I have a small dog that's around 9 to 10 pounds. She's half pomeranian and half cocker spaniel. (a cockeranian?). I'll post a picture in my gallery one of these days, but she looks like a Pekingese or King Charles Spaniel, as she has very floppy ears, and is very fluffy. She also has blue eyes that puts the fear of god into any who stare into them.
She's already two years old, and still isn't as trained as I'd like. She's been getting better at holding it in until outside, she still pees and poops indoors on occasion. Because I live in a rural area, I'd like to be able to just walk outside with her and let her run loose, but she takes off. I can still catch her, but it can be both a pain and exhausting. I have a sheltie who doesn't run away when loose, at least when I'm keeping an eye on him. My childhood dog was anothe boy sheltie and he was the same way - he'd never run away when keeping an eye on him. Then I had a female sheltie that we bred with him, she would never run away, ever, even by herself.
My house has two more cockeranians, they're my dog's siblings and are my moms, and they also take off when loose. They let me catch them, but it's a pain because they run to the neighbors property. My uncle has another of my dog's siblings, and he doesn't run away when lose. All my uncle does is just open the door, and let him back in after a few minutes. I don't want to keep my dog unsupervised outdoors because I worry a hawk will get her, she's that small, but I would like her to run free when with me. I just don't know how to train her to be like that. I think a big part of why my cockeranians take off is curiousity. My shelties would roam my village and probably got bored of it once they explored it. But when I was kid, I could chase after them onto my neighbors yards and it'd be no big deal - I was a kid, it was probably dangerous for me to be running on my neighbors property, but my neighbors wouldn't find it weird. Well, now it would be pretty weird if my neighbors saw a man in his late twenties chasing after a small dog in their backyard. Plus the cockeranians are a lot smaller and more delicate than the shelties.
Does anyone know any tricks to dog training? My dog is getting really spoiled, and she keeps resisting the leash.
If he dog is two years old you may need a professional trainer to help.  Two sounds a little old for basic training.  
Interesting to see what you wrote about shelties.  We had one and she was a great dog.  She would leave the house in the morning, roam the neighborhood and return after her tour.  Then she would bark at the front door asking to be let in.
I bid NO Trump!
[-] The following 1 member Likes LJay's post:
  • Chase

(05-12-2020, 02:57 PM)LJay Wrote: If he dog is two years old you may need a professional trainer to help.  Two sounds a little old for basic training.  
Interesting to see what you wrote about shelties.  We had one and she was a great dog.  She would leave the house in the morning, roam the neighborhood and return after her tour.  Then she would bark at the front door asking to be let in.

They are pretty amazing. When I was 10, my sheltie managed to find me at school. My school was on the other side of town, over six miles away, and my sheltie managed to track me down. I don't know how he got loose, but I had to go get him on the playground on call for my mom to pick him up.

(05-12-2020, 10:45 PM)Chase Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 02:57 PM)LJay Wrote: If he dog is two years old you may need a professional trainer to help.  Two sounds a little old for basic training.  

They are pretty amazing. When I was 10, my sheltie managed to find me at school. My school was on the other side of town, over six miles away, and my sheltie managed to track me down. I don't know how he got loose, but I had to go get him on the playground on call for my mom to pick him up.
Shelties are SMART and you must have smelled good!
I bid NO Trump!