Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So it begins
My roommate was called by Sabra, the Daughter of my deceased landlord, who informed him (not me, no one likes to talk to me) that she is sending a 30 day notice and $2000.00 for us to move.

Here is the deal, I work for the rent and have executed my duties and then some for a considerable period of time.

By state law a 60 day notice is required or so I understand for tenants who have been living there over a year, I have what 17 years in now?

Of course they are dealing with my roommate who in theory pays rent to me, since I pay the rent, electricity, propane, septic, water, trash by the sweat of my brow...

Anyone know of a free legal aid service in the middle of california that can assist me with this - like asap since its 30 days.

Yeah, merry fucking Christmas, get the fuck out is what is being said.

Sad I am so sorry you are having to go through this! There is very little I can do since we are seperated by so many miles, but if there IS anything I can do to help, PLZ don't hesitate to PM me!
Love you Boy!
~Beaux

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:My roommate was called by Sabra, the Daughter of my deceased landlord, who informed him (not me, no one likes to talk to me) that she is sending a 30 day notice and $2000.00 for us to move.

Here is the deal, I work for the rent and have executed my duties and then some for a considerable period of time.

By state law a 60 day notice is required or so I understand for tenants who have been living there over a year, I have what 17 years in now?

Of course they are dealing with my roommate who in theory pays rent to me, since I pay the rent, electricity, propane, septic, water, trash by the sweat of my brow...

Anyone know of a free legal aid service in the middle of california that can assist me with this - like asap since its 30 days.

Yeah, merry fucking Christmas, get the fuck out is what is being said.

What county are you in? I know someone I can ask for resources.

That would be the USA,Mirkwood Calelffornia.... USA -

I'm definitely going to fight this one. Only because after 17 years of executing my job faithfully and tirelessly I would expect more than $2000.

Especially with all of the extras I have put in over the past two years, such a being a caregiver on top of caretaker....

LOL I asked for COUNTY not Country. I searched for Mirkwood, California, and it does not come up as a census-designated place.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:That would be the USA,Mirkwood Calelffornia.... USA -

I'm definitely going to fight this one. Only because after 17 years of executing my job faithfully and tirelessly I would expect more than $2000.

Especially with all of the extras I have put in over the past two years, such a being a caregiver on top of caretaker....

This is why all contracts for service should be in writing. The law won't care about extras or the fact that you were a caregiver without proof of same or any indication that you should receive any special consideration. It will regard all the services provided as exchange for accommodation. It will not care about 17 years of service without records and acknowledgment by your employer of your work.

Your story is all too common.

Just from some quick Googling, I agree that you should have 60 days, however; as I've said in previous threads of yours RE: this situation, You have nothing in writing with the deceased guy as to what your circumstances were or job duty compensations type contracts.

While your circumstances are hugely unfair and unfortunate on a Cosmic Karma level, I think you should take the money and run. Fighting these guys isn't going to get you anywhere. I'm not sure they'd be liable for the deceased guys debts on a handshake deal. They clearly don't want you there and will just continue to make your life miserable if you stay. Ultimately it's their property now and they don't want you there. Sadly the law will predominately be on their side.

Being Canadian I'm sure the situation here is very different but usually 2 conditions need to be met. #1 is 60 days and #2 is the landlord needs to have an actual use for the property. They can't just decide they don't want you anymore and throw you out. Here they either have to be moving in to the unit or having a close family member move in.

You may just want to call a paralegal as it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper. It seems like a basic sort of thing as 30 != 60 lol.

Hmm, I typed a response to this thread and was told I am not allowed to include images until I have 50 posts. I didn't include any images

Darius Wrote:Hmm, I typed a response to this thread and was told I am not allowed to include images until I have 50 posts. I didn't include any images

Now it worked. Ha!

Brian North, I doubt your rule 2 would apply in the US. A landlord can pretty much evict anyone for any reason with a written lease as long as they abide by the law, in this case giving 60 days notice.

It sounds like plenty of you guys know the OP's background story. I do not. Was he a hired caregiver for the deceased? Was there a contract between them?
If the OP refuses to move out before the 60 days, is the offer of money off the table.
It would cost more than two grand even for a paralegal to defend this, I think.