Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So my friend is telling me that tomorrow the USSC is supposed to have a decision...
a functional site to track this might be:
http://www.towleroad.com/

DOMA was just declared unconstitutional!

for those already married this means federal benefits the straights have
makes those states allowing marriage to be very un equal compared to those not having marriage

makes states having local constitutional laws against SS marriage makes those laws un constitutional

Who's celebrating?!?!?!

Wow. I really hope good things will come out of this.

Prop 8 case is dismissed. California is now safe for gay marriage, but only California. Hopefully other states follow suit and soon

The most important thing about this is the precedent it sets, so now cases that challenge similar laws will not have to go all the way to the supreme court, they can be resolved at the circuit court level
Richard

CA will have to wait a few months for SS marriage

I thought this was worth adding:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/27/opinion/gh...index.html

Quote:America's right place is at the vanguard of the quest for freedom and equality. The country was founded on that principle, as a nation whose very identity is built on equal rights and true freedom for its citizens. Wednesday's twin decisions by the Supreme Court in favor of gay equality allowed the country to move closer to its founding ideals.

Quote:The DOMA decision by Justice Anthony Kennedy centered on one of the most fundamental concepts of democracy: the notion of equal protection. The ruling articulates an idea that will resonate in the many nations struggling with internal divisions and just learning the meaning of democracy and freedom. Kennedy spelled it out. A government cannot simply deny equality; it cannot treat one group of people differently without a legitimate purpose

Quote:The whole world started watching a long time ago. More than 300 years ago, Thomas Jefferson appealed to an international audience when he wrote the Declaration of Independence. In the very first paragraph he said "respect to the opinions of mankind" was the reason why Americans had to spell out their decision to break free from the British.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident," he explained "that all men are created equal." And he added that government is created for the purpose of securing unalienable rights, including "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

That is the essence of America, and it is the reason why the country has exerted such a powerful appeal to those seeking freedom over the centuries.

The U.S. has very plainly strayed on many occasions from that path it so highly charted for itself. But the country has also shown a remarkable ability to correct course because its people have never become so jaded as to forget those founding ideals.

One reason America has succeeded for centuries in staying at the forefront of history is that history, as Georg Hegel said, is the unfolding of an awareness of freedom. A country that stands on the side of freedom and equality is inevitably a country on the right side of history.

For those that are interested, here's the opinions of the SCOTUS:
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12p...7_6j37.pdf

I will say now that I only read the court's opinion, and not the dissenting opinions as I was feeling pretty down at the time and didn't want to lose more faith in humanity.