Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone is bothering my younger cousin
Woollyhats Wrote:The young boy likely didn't know what he was doing either, I feel that it's important that someone explains the concept of personal space, respecting the privacy other others, etc to that boy, and talks to him about his emerging sexuality and how to handle it... but that's not your job.

In addition, consider that this might not even be a homosexual related matter; younger kids do really creepy things that seem sexual sometimes, but actually aren't. My brother was spooned by someone when he was younger, and the child in question was constantly bullied and ridiculed all through elementary school for being 'gay', when in fact he wasn't (I believe they were playing a ridiculous make belief game and my brother was a yoshi, so yeah you can imagine that didn't help him to fit in). A lot of weird things happen with kids, and the point is, is that there's no real way of knowing for sure what happened based on a story you hear.

Also, unless you have an intimate part of your cousin's immediate family life, there's not a lot you can do.

But, if you want to stop him from developing a prejudice, be the absolute best cousin you can be. If he sees that you're a good guy, and you're gay, just by existing you're suggesting that gays aren't bad people.

Hope the boy leaves your cousin alone.

Holy shit. Thank you for not jumping down my throat about "Let his mom handle it" THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING. I just wanted to bring it up here so I can vent, and have a discussion with you lovely people.

Woollyhats Wrote:The young boy likely didn't know what he was doing either, I feel that it's important that someone explains the concept of personal space, respecting the privacy other others, etc to that boy, and talks to him about his emerging sexuality and how to handle it... but that's not your job.

In addition, consider that this might not even be a homosexual related matter; younger kids do really creepy things that seem sexual sometimes, but actually aren't. My brother was spooned by someone when he was younger, and the child in question was constantly bullied and ridiculed all through elementary school for being 'gay', when in fact he wasn't (I believe they were playing a ridiculous make belief game and my brother was a yoshi, so yeah you can imagine that didn't help him to fit in). A lot of weird things happen with kids, and the point is, is that there's no real way of knowing for sure what happened based on a story you hear.

Also, unless you have an intimate part of your cousin's immediate family life, there's not a lot you can do.

But, if you want to stop him from developing a prejudice, be the absolute best cousin you can be. If he sees that you're a good guy, and you're gay, just by existing you're suggesting that gays aren't bad people.

Hope the boy leaves your cousin alone.

Holy shit. Thank you for not jumping down my throat about "Let his mom handle it" THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING. I wanted to bring it up here so I can vent, and have a discussion with you lovely people. At any rate I suppose I should relax and not be so protective of my cousin.

Please don't make it seem like you were being attacked. It was hardly even pushed at you.

But you clarified yourself, which I took notice of in my post. I just said something about parents, cause that's what popped into my head.

If people happen to say the same things near the same way, it's not necessarily an attack, it's just a common thought or statement.

Don't stress out gurl :hugs-and-kisses-smi

Sylph Wrote:Please don't make it seem like you were being attacked. It was hardly even pushed at you.

But you clarified yourself, which I took notice of in my post. I just said something about parents, cause that's what popped into my head.

If people happen to say the same things near the same way, it's not necessarily an attack, it's just a common thought or statement.

Don't stress out gurl :hugs-and-kisses-smi

Sorry Sylph, I'm just a bit touchy today.

MikeIsNotPG Wrote:Sorry Sylph, I'm just a bit touchy today.

Lol no need to apologize, I was just letting you know. :3

Do it again. And I'll kill you :I ..... :hugs-and-kisses-smi

We all got off days, just try not to take them out on others, kay? Sheep

I am not even going to try and guess how his mother would handle this.
One thing I can say as a mother of two boys I addressed the issue of personal space when they were about six to seven ,stranger danger at the age of five.

Considering the world my boys were growing up in was so much more dangerous than the world I grew up in.

I am not sure when they approach these subjects at school in the U.S. but over here it's addressed at a very young age in Primary school.

Mike, my question to you would be : "What would you say to your cousin, if you were considering telling him anything about what it means to be gay?" How would you explain it?

Your concern seems to be that your cousin doesn't get the wrong idea about what it means to be gay, as opposed to someone being a bully or a creep.

Maybe you need to find out, gently, from your cousin, what happened and whether this is a common occurrence of just a one-off. If it's a regular occurrence, then maybe you can persuade your cousin to tell someone who can make a difference, like a headmaster, or a responsible adult (teacher?). Maybe it is something that needs to be addressed in a stronger way, but maybe not (if it's an isolated incident).

The child who's been following him in the toilet may not even know what he's doing, but maybe he's just acting out to assert his dominance and power over your cousin. In that case it's probably bullying.

You need to know your cousin's level of understanding of the situation and assess the discomfort caused to him before acting against the other child. I would not take the things into my own hands but ask the adults responsible in school to handle it. But you may also be able to explain to your cousin that his body and intimacy are private and that no one has a right to invade that without his consent, without him feeling comfortable about it. If it's just two young ones exploring boundaries with curiosity, then it's probably going to be alright. If the other kid is forcing himself upon him, then maybe someone can interfere, the same way we would interfere if an adult were trying to take advantage of him.
Take care, Mike.

princealbertofb Wrote:Mike, my question to you would be : "What would you say to your cousin, if you were considering telling him anything about what it means to be gay?" How would you explain it?

Your concern seems to be that your cousin doesn't get the wrong idea about what it means to be gay, as opposed to someone being a bully or a creep.

Maybe you need to find out, gently, from your cousin, what happened and whether this is a common occurrence of just a one-off. If it's a regular occurrence, then maybe you can persuade your cousin to tell someone who can make a difference, like a headmaster, or a responsible adult (teacher?). Maybe it is something that needs to be addressed in a stronger way, but maybe not (if it's an isolated incident).

The child who's been following him in the toilet may not even know what he's doing, but maybe he's just acting out to assert his dominance and power over your cousin. In that case it's probably bullying.

You need to know your cousin's level of understanding of the situation and assess the discomfort caused to him before acting against the other child. I would not take the things into my own hands but ask the adults responsible in school to handle it. But you may also be able to explain to your cousin that his body and intimacy are private and that no one has a right to invade that without his consent, without him feeling comfortable about it. If it's just two young ones exploring boundaries with curiosity, then it's probably going to be alright. If the other kid is forcing himself upon him, then maybe someone can interfere, the same way we would interfere if an adult were trying to take advantage of him.
Take care, Mike.

I will have a think and get back to you on that. Thank you.

your cousin does need an explanation...not quite THE explanation, not just yet..

but simply "it's not ok for people to creep on you"

and yes, sorry, I'll fuck off, but it is indeed the parents job to make sure he knows how to exercize safety

Well, yes, Mike, it's best if you think it out before you try saying anything to your cousin. He's at an impressionable age.