Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Term limits
What's your view on the concept? I had a good debate with someone at work today who is strongly for term limits, but I'm very mixed on the idea.

1) with a term limit ... the person elected knows they only have lets say 4 years .. to me that means the last year of course is a loss because they don't have to do anything or can do whatever they want because it doesn't matter

2) without a term limit you can get some real jackass in there that you can't get rid of

Until elections in the USA are fair, it really doesnt matter.

Until elections in the USA are important enough for the populace to take an interest in voting, it doesnt matter.

Until independent parties are allowed into debates instead of being kept out by the Dems & Repubs, it doesnt matter.

Until you take huge amounts of money out of politics, it doesnt matter.

I guess I dont know enough about Parliaments to make a decision but find it interesting that elections can be called at any time... maybe that is better than asking about term limits...

good points!

the mayor of New York .. Mayor Bloomberg is now looking to overturn term limits so he can be reelected

he's not a bad mayor in many ways .. but not a good mayor in many ways

but shouldn't he be allowed to let the people decide?

and you're right ... let another party in there too .. and let him take his chances

BTW .. we agreed at work that Republican/Democrat needs to end .. and there should be no parties .. but boy will that take a long time to fix!!!!

Well, set political terms are in place because of the lessons history has taught us. If someone has power, they will do everything to keep it. Think back to Roman emperors, European monarchs and all sorts of rulers that never had to worry about fixed terms. I know many countries (even my own) don't exactly have fixed terms, but I think that they should be implemented if only to give variance to the power and allow for different ideas, views, and a greater voice to the people.

A fixed term of leadership is just about the only protection a democracy might ultimately have. What else would force the likes of Robert Mugabe to hold regular elections ... oh wait, maybe that's not a good example! Rolleyes