Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The word "retarded"- A vicious slur or a misunderstood slang term?
I see the word "retarded" as an attack on those who cannot defend themselves. It is for that reason that I believe it is the worst and most vicious word in the English language.

But I want to hear your thoughts as well because not everyone thinks the same way.

I agree that it is an ugly word but ultimately it is a word and has the power we give it.

The word says a lot abut who is using it...and nothing about who they are referring to...that is ALWAYS the case and it is a lesson better learned sooner than later.

Arkansota Wrote:I see the word "retarded" as an attack on those who cannot defend themselves. It is for that reason that I believe it is the worst and most vicious word in the English language.

But I want to hear your thoughts as well because not everyone thinks the same way.

I just looked at the word retarded real close. I see no sharp edges or places to put bullets in it.

Words can only be weapons IF you believe they are weapons.

I use the VERB retarded a lot but never as a LABEL for people. But then I've bored everyone in GS about how I feel about all sorts of labels people use to describe themselves and others so I'll stop here.

I'm with memechose, and coming from someone who has Asperger's, I don't have a problem with that word( in verb form) at all, I'm even guilty of using it myself, but I wouldn't (or at least refrain from) using as a label for other people.

It's not a word I would use. I don't like offending people, so I choose to err on the side of caution.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

THIS THREAD IS
RETARDED
Icon16

I'm just kidding.

As with all offensive words (bitch, slut, faggot, etc.), it's not the word as such that is negative but the ways it is appropriated.

Retard was a much more vulgar word when it was used 'officially and publicly' to specifically describe those with a variety of mental and physical ailments.

Until this post I do not know if I have heard the word in 20 or 30 years.

I agree it is offensive as are so many other words that the masses use to describe themselves.

Being part of the elite, I prefer to make up my own words to refer to those that are (in my view) below me on the evolutionary ladder.

I guess I should confess to using that more often than I should, as a slur. You fucking retard, is something that I might say or write. However, doesn't it make sense to accuse somebody who did something stupid of being a retard? Idiots can't defend themselves either.

Which slurs are actually appropriate? I completely avoid any racist slurs, because that's where I draw the line. Not because the words hurt me, I'm out and proud, but because I remember how it feels having to hide how you feel and all the nasty feelings and thoughts that brings with it, because of those words in part.

Slurs I use: trash, cunt, bitch, retard and idiot.