Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Little Mysteries of the Universe...
I don't know if anyone else has them, these little "mysteries" that puzzle their minds to no end. If so, perhaps you could share some of yours.

Alright, here's one mystery: I have one of those older makes of refrigerator that doesn't have an ice maker. So I have two ice trays. They are identical, plastic, white... nothing special about them at all. They work

Alright, so, when I put them in the freezer, I stack them one on top the other. What I've noticed is, once they've both frozen, when I take them out to empty them int o a plastic box I keep in the freezer, the first (top) tray, all the ice pops out easily into nice cubes. HOWEVER, the second tray ALWAYS fractures the cubes into pieces. In fact some of the ice invariably continues to stick to the sides of the tray.

Now just so you understand, the relevant thing here is the position of the tray. It is the bottom tray that does this. It doesn't matter which actual plastic tray is there (I know, I've very carefully experimented with this to be sure). Either tray behaves the same way depending whether it is the top tray or the bottom tray.

Now, I admit I'm no physicist or even an engineer, but for the life of me I can't figure out why this is happening. It just seems so odd... but, of course, i know there MUST be a reason. Such repeatable things are not "random" occurrences. I wondered if it had something to do with where they are positioned in the freezer.... they're on a rack, not touching the actual bottom of the freezer compartment, so air does flow around them.

I'm not looking for someone to explain it (even if you think you can, which you may ver well be able to do, I don't know); I'm just sharing one of the mysteries of my world. There are many...

FOR EXAMPE, there is the curious fact that when I'm walking around naked here in my apartment, my penis and balls hang down in a respectable way. They're not huge or anything, quite normal, but respectable. HOWEVER, when I'm at the gym, this is NEVER the case. THERE my penis and balls shrivel up into almost nothing! It's like they're HIDING or something. Yeah, for sure, some of it is because I work out, get sweaty and (because this is the San Francisco Bay Area where it seldom gets up much above 70°) my surface body temperature gets cold. Especially in those nylon workout shorts.

BUT EVEN SO, like when I'm through working out, taking a shower with plenty of hot water, lathering myself up and all that. NOTHING! If I were the genuinely shy type I wouldn't even SHOWER in the gym it is so potentially embarrassing. But, MEH, I just shine it on the way I do all my "less than ideal" traits.

So, its not that I care that much, exactly. It's just odd because it is SO consistent. I had no idea "little mikey" was so SHY!

What an idiot!

LOL [MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION] ...you sound alot like my BF...he thinks of these types of things all the time...and I DO like hearing about them....

If he was on this board...he could add to the thread...but he is too introverted and even the thought of it freaks him out.

OK...I have a mystery that has been bothering me for I think seven years now. It bothers me because I don't have a clue to unravel it...

There is this one little side street here in town that had a building that was torn down..and there is a Smart and Final Store on the other side which I go to...

..and this guy has been standing in this one spot....day and night...hot or cold.....blazing sun or pouring rain...for all of those seven years....maybe even more...I just first noticed him seven years ago.

He is in the same spot...although he goes across the street to the Smart and Final Store to eat outside sometimes...and the big 99 cent only store next to Smart and Final....

He is a beautiful man on the outside...very nice looking and he seems very sweet and gentle....

I have offered him money before...or food...and he has politely declined....

I see him in over 100 degree weather with a heavy coat on...and in the pouring rain with the same coat on. He sleeps on the sidewalk....no blanket...no bedding...

He breaks my heart for some reason...he reminds of of a dog who stays in the same place until his friend comes back....

....and I want to know his story...but I know not to ask. He clearly does not want to talk to anyone else.....

I wonder if someone he loved died there...or abandoned him there? If that is the case though..I don't think I want to know....it would kill a little part of me then if I saw him in that circumstance.....

He doesn't seem mentally ill ...and I also hope everytime I drive by that I will see him..so I know he is OK and nothing has happened to him....

I also wonder on a spiritual level if there is something to learn from him...it is all so odd....and a huge mystery for me. I can usually figure things out on some level .,...but not this time...

[MENTION=12475]Mike[/MENTION]. Maybe your lucky day... or maybe not. I read a thing in a magazine someone wrote in about the ice enigma and what to do about it. The woman took one of those stackable plastic shoe shelves for closets and put it in the freezer so she would have room to spread her ice trays out.

As far as your junk shrinking up at the gym.... I've read some stuff on that too. hahaha! Part of it definitely is air or room temperature and exercise "should' heat up your body and make it all dangle more too. Cool temps with make it all shrink up... Get out in 25 below and 30 mph winds for a couple of hours and you'll be digging you balls out from "up in there."

But some of it has to do with psychology on the subconscious level and maybe pheromones with mens' dominance pecking orders in groups. There's been articles in mags like Mens Health about it.

you really should try crosscountry skiing. after the skiing, you have grown inside and turned out to be a real woman.

It boggles my mind how my brother's girlfriend will only eat fast food.

MikeW Wrote:FOR EXAMPE, there is the curious fact that when I'm walking around naked here in my apartment, my penis and balls hang down in a respectable way. They're not huge or anything, quite normal, but respectable. HOWEVER, when I'm at the gym, this is NEVER the case. THERE my penis and balls shrivel up into almost nothing! It's like they're HIDING or something. Yeah, for sure, some of it is because I work out, get sweaty and (because this is the San Francisco Bay Area where it seldom gets up much above 70°) my surface body temperature gets cold. Especially in those nylon workout shorts.

BUT EVEN SO, like when I'm through working out, taking a shower with plenty of hot water, lathering myself up and all that. NOTHING! If I were the genuinely shy type I wouldn't even SHOWER in the gym it is so potentially embarrassing. But, MEH, I just shine it on the way I do all my "less than ideal" traits.

So, its not that I care that much, exactly. It's just odd because it is SO consistent. I had no idea "little mikey" was so SHY!

What an idiot!
I thought that phenomenon is caused by the blood being primarily in your muscles after a workout and not where it's not needed right now. Psychology be damned.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Bhp91126 Wrote:I thought that phenomenon is caused by the blood being primarily in your muscles after a workout and not where it's not needed right now. Psychology be damned.
Well, I've seen plenty of 'show off' body builders in the locker room, so I don't think that's it. Besides, it's this way even before I've started working out, like when I'm changing in to my gym gear from my street clothes.

Let's admit it, one of the world's greatest mysteries is where does that single sock go when you know you put two in the washing machine.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Virge Wrote:[MENTION=12475]Mike[/MENTION]. Maybe your lucky day... or maybe not. I read a thing in a magazine someone wrote in about the ice enigma and what to do about it. The woman took one of those stackable plastic shoe shelves for closets and put it in the freezer so she would have room to spread her ice trays out.
So, you're saying this won't happen if the trays are separated by some air space? Ok, so lets say that IS a fix to the "problem". That still doesn't answer the question, WHY is it a problem to begin with. WHY does stacking the trays result in THAT particular phenomena? I don't get what "air circulation" would have to do with it.

Quote:As far as your junk shrinking up at the gym.... I've read some stuff on that too. hahaha! Part of it definitely is air or room temperature and exercise "should' heat up your body and make it all dangle more too. Cool temps with make it all shrink up... Get out in 25 below and 30 mph winds for a couple of hours and you'll be digging you balls out from "up in there."
Yeah, I know what cold weather does; I lived in Milwaukee for a few years before I moved out here. I remember seeing tire tracks in mud that froze in November NOT THAW OUT UNTIL JUNE! It would get down below -20 and STAY THERE FOR A WEEK. Insane. So, cold, yeah. I think that is definitely part of the problem. But, like even yesterday, when it was way warmer than it usually is, it was the same situation for me.

Quote:But some of it has to do with psychology on the subconscious level and maybe pheromones with mens' dominance pecking orders in groups. There's been articles in mags like Mens Health about it.
I hadn't thought of pheromones but you could be right. There's a TON of "young bucks" at my gym. I'm not exactly an effeminate old faggot but I'm not an Alpha male either. I think I just feel more SECURE at home, more relaxed. You know, it's funny, once in a great while (I mean, rarely, but once in a while) this "shrinkage" doesn't happen. I notice this and think, now WTF is different about TODAY? Am I just "hornier"? Am I more "relaxed" on some level? Damned if I know why.