Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about working with animals
Getting sick of working at this store. They're trying to cut everyone's hours and still expect everything to get done on time, its becoming a joke how the management is.

I was just stocking the dog food and thought how great it would be to work with animals. I'm going to look into it this weekend after I get out.

I know I won't become a vet, but maybe at a daycare or something. I might need some sort of schooling, but this might be the area for me. I know I'd be a lot happier

Any tips would be greatful.

Well, you can study something on the likes of vet aid, or whatever it's called there. Usually those kind of studies go on for 2 years, so it's fast.

Do what's best for you, If you think you have skills to work with animals, then by all means, go for it.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Well I worked for 2 Years under a Vet at my local Zoo on my island and like mentioned, 2 Years was the prerequisite for a Veterinary Technology degree and thankfully as you are required to be monitored or "chaperone" towards the end of it, that part for me was handled by him as I was working with him all along.

So I guess you can ultimately try to seek employ at places such as a Zoo or Animal Exhibition(if your country has that, we do here), to sort of "dirty ya toes" and get a knick on ya blade so to speak, that way you can see where your passions and aptitude does lay.

Because "working with animals" as I'm sure ya figured, is not necessarily as generalized as the wording has it seem to be.

For instance I primarily worked with Rehab animals and in a Quarantine for injured Sea Birds and Turtles.

That's vastly different to what I had to do as an actual ZooKeeper & Aquarist. The mental stress & process handles differently on ya mind, so you gotta first think of where you lay personally.

Otherwise, passion will soon overtake technicalities whence it is you find where your dominoes fall.

I personally recommend Mammal care, as they are typically the "hardiest" of animals.

We have a lot of Reptiles and Birds here, so I kinda specialized in them, but always found mammals far easier.