Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiny Houses?
Anyone here have an interest in them? I've always kinda found them pretty fascinating...I'd consider living in one, seeing as its just myself and I don't require lots of room. One in particular, called Kasita, looks very cool! It has built in smart home technology and allows a degree of customization. Looks like moving is pretty simple too. They have a website that has more information about it. Definitely has an appeal to me. :biggrin:

Hmm, yes I reckon US has a "culture-of-the-big-everything" going on, from what I've seen on screen (never been there, though)

Households in my country tend to be small, even pricy ones...so...not much of a choice unless you're packed with enough money to throw down the garbage.

Large estates are a thing of the past and only the 1% belonging to the uber wealthy elites have a taste for the big nowadays.

You may refer to even smaller households tendencies, so I don't really know here, if that's the case, if I would like something smaller :eek:
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

I have seen people buying those loft type wooden sheds (like you see in parking lot at Home Depot) and converting them into a small house. They seem to be built sturdy, they just need insulation and drywall.

Personally though, we live in a 1200sq ft house and I wouldn't want anything smaller. I have "my" bathroom and he has "his". If he's watching something on TV in the living room that I hate, I can simply go to the bedroom to watch what I want. I guess if you're always planning to be single, a tiny house like that may be okay, but I couldn't handle it living with someone.

Well I live in the UK and I'm not super wealthy so i'll live in a tiny house whether I like it or not. It's just a downside of living on a small island.

I think I'd feel claustrophobic.

I happen to LOVE tiny houses! In fact, the Tiny House Movement has inspired my husband and I to change our retirement plans! Originally, we had planned to keep our home here in South Carolina, as well as one of our homes in Louisiana, and alternate between via our sail boat. NOW, however, we plan to sell our house here in Charleston and purchase 3 more properties across the country and build time houses on them and spend a 1/4 of the year at each house after retirement! Probably defeats the purpose.....lol but that's now the plan...

~Beaux

My sister built a little house in her back yard and rents it as a source of income.

Some of the designs are quite clever, though most seem to involve geting to a loft be by way of a ladder and that could be tricky for some of us. I think the biggest investment would really be the site, as being out of doors could be very important.
I bid NO Trump!

no "mc mansion" for me. unless I can afford a maid, that's just too much house to clean and maintain!

a simple ranch style home is enough

I guess I am one of those awful Americans who does not like small spaces. I bought my first home this last year and when house shopping, I learned what I liked and disliked. I knew I wouldn't buy something less than 3 bedrooms, even though it's just me (at least for now) and wanted a big lot, hopefully with lots of trees and garden space. I got what I wanted.

Very cool to get everyone's opinions. I can definitely see why a larger home would be preferable...more space (of course) and taking into account other occupants as well, you don't wanna be cramped in a small space. I just really love the idea/novelty of a small home. They have their uses. Loving that idea btw Beaux! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Being raised in a 500 sq ft house most of my life with 5 other people, I have some experience with tiny/cramped living. This one home in particular that interests me is about 208 sq ft, which really is quite small but for single living can work if you're not the materialistic type or don't plan on having company :tongue: