Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trayvon Martin case
I've been following this case since it began and it is just so sad.

Here read this article first ; Trayvon .

Read it?

Well theres a lot more than what they have there, but as long as you get the gist. It's tragic that someone, who's only a year younger then me can be killed so easily.

I personally believe it has alot to do with racial profiling or racism in general, but I'm not in the man's mind who shot him, so I don't know. But I would think that someone of Hispanic descent would understand what racial profiling is and wouldn't have done what he did to Trayvon, because for years the Black and Hispanic communities have been equally discriminated against.

It's really a sad situation.

Have you guys heard about this? I would imagine the Americans have.

It's particularly hard on quite a lot of black people, because of history. I'm half black, but I still sympathize and empathize, not to mention he looks similar to my brother who's the second oldest.

[Image: Trayvon-Martin405.jpg]
(R.I.P :frown: Trayvon)

What do you guys think about this?

reaction to obamas comments
previous post at gayspeak

"only idiots will have guns"

pellaz Wrote:reaction to obamas comments

Omgosh, I didn't realize there was a thread on this already :eek: . *runs away*

I agree with that statement though Smile .

Presumed guilty until proven innocent, have to love contemporary media.

previous post was in response to the "stay your ground" legal concept more than Trayvon as a person.

Inchante Wrote:Presumed guilty until proven innocent, have to love contemporary media.

True and false.

I don't think it's because of the media, but the race of Trayvon and the black community in general.

Although as I keep stating, I'm half black, but even I know that when anything particularly seeming to be racist or similar affects the black community, an uproar will occur.

Although racism isn't what it used to be, it's still prevalent, especially in black people's minds. They think that just because white people act nice to them now, that they'll roll over and be happy about it, but there's still unfairness. White people have never really been in the shoes of a black person, so cannot see what they see or feel how they feel, nor can blacks for whites. But in a black person's mind, they see it as, Whites have had power and never had to struggle, while Blacks are only recently more liberated and more accepted, but have had to struggle to get there.

I ethnically can not take a side, because I am both and neither at the same time, but I'm basing what I'm saying on how I grew up and based on my community which is majoritively black.

So when something like the shooting of a young black male pops up, especially when words like "suspicious" are used to justify the actions, then ofcourse the black community will be outraged, because then in their minds, it could be anyone one of them, as they are black as well.

This is where the media gets it from, the ideology that if they show what they think will please the offended, then they will get praise for their actions, which is unfair.

I think that he is probably a racist, but I cannot say definitively, because I wasn't there, nor do I know him.

I think that he shouldn't have followed Trayvon, because it wasn't necessary, especially when the police officer told him he didn't have to. And then Trayvon was yelling and screaming for help, he still shot him anyway. That shows some sort of malice or prejudice or something, because if someone's yelling for help, they obviously aren't a threat and you definitely don't shoot them.

So in a way, yes it's guilty until proven innocent but then again it isn't because what's he to be innocent of? He had a gun, chased Trayvon and ultimately ended up shooting him. Trayvon was screaming for help, what threat could he have possibly imposed to suggest ulterior motives, to lead police to think what Zimmerman did was justifiable and therefore innocent?

The laws there allow someone to protect their property, but what was there to protect it from in this case? A young black man with a hoodie on and a bag of skittles?

That's why alot of people are upset. Racial profiling is something that blacks suffer from frequently and as such, it's a sensitive issue to them.

Again, I don't take sides, on anything really, but I find the evidence in question quite condeming and his actions to be unnecessary and unjust.

This is why I'm glad I live on a little friendly island Confusedmile: .

pellaz Wrote:reaction to obamas comments

so your calling cops, military peacful & law-abiding citizens idiots?:confused:

Such a handsome young man, and from we have been fed in the Australian media, a pretty talented sportsman and academic.

Zimmerman has been painted as the villan, and from the media reports in Australia, he deserves to be hounded for shooting any unarmed person. The 911 phone call you can hear Teryvon in the background screaming 'Help' and then the gun shot that killed him.

If the media are representing this crime correctly, at the very least the laws that created this situation should be addressed, but hopefully this Zimmerman doesn't get off lightly for the apparent crime he has committed.

jaxc Wrote:so your calling cops, military peacful & law-abiding citizens idiots?:confused:

I think he meant the way people use guns now-a-days. I can agree.

I personally believe guns are the representation of evil in it's simplest form.

If I can end your life with just a simple finger motion, then something is seriously wrong. I get it's purpose by the police to protect them and others from harm, but to me it's so barbaric.

Someone's life shouldn't be at the mercy of a simple contraction of someone elses finger muscles.

@Dfiant- I agree with you Dad. Him screaming in the background was the major turning point for me and Zimmerman should be dealt with. I love people, but someone who can shoot a person calling for help and is defenseless, is not someone I think I can love. Sad .

QueenOdi Wrote:True and false.

Although racism isn't what it used to be, it's still prevalent, especially in black people's minds. They think that just because white people act nice to them now, that they'll roll over and be happy about it, but there's still unfairness. White people have never really been in the shoes of a black person, so cannot see what they see or feel how they feel, nor can blacks for whites. But in a black person's mind, they see it as, Whites have had power and never had to struggle, while Blacks are only recently more liberated and more accepted, but have had to struggle to get there.

Yes, but this only illustrates how outlandish this whole thing really is. The shooter, George Zimmerman, isn't even white, he is latino.

[Image: image_4-430x418.jpg]

No witnesses indicate any racist slurs used, nothing in the 911 call indicates that the shooting was racially motivated, and yet the media and many members of the African American community have jumped to the conclusion that it was a racially motivated hate crime (without due process).

It is very sad what happened to the boy. The police should have arrested George Zimmerman and completed a thorough investigation before releasing him. But the injustice that Trayvon Martin experienced has only been matched with a public injustice for George Zimmerman.