Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK General Election Predictions
marshlander Wrote:I think there is probably at least a bit of a difference between the Conservatives and the the BNP, Ben.

Sorry, just a very lame joke on my part, the Conservatives are not liked in Scotland and we often poke fun at them, (its a Scottish thing).
sorry if I offended anyone.
Ben.:frown:

Boysstuff Wrote:Sorry, just a very lame joke on my part, the Conservatives are not liked in Scotland and we often poke fun at them, (its a Scottish thing).
sorry if I offended anyone.
Ben.:frown:

lol ERRR I mean 'No Comment' ( But hey Ben its politics you dont have to apologise for your views! Wink )

I predict a conservative win.
It seems to me there's just enough voters that would normaly vote labour that are tired of them and in turn are not bothering to vote or are voting Conservative.

Cos I mean, WHO else is there to vote for?!
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

the Conservatives are not liked in Scotland and we often poke fun at them, (its a Scottish thing).

As an Englishman I take exception to that, Ben. I want to state very clearly that I have a right to dislike the Conservatives just as much as any Scotsman! And I do. I think and hope that it will be a hung parliament and I believe that will be very good for the UK. Germany has done pretty well with coalition governments for most of the time since WW2: their economy is still the powerhouse of Europe. I hope and pray we will have a Lib-Lab coalition.
And while were talking politics. I hope that the Scots get even more autonomy – anything short of splitting up the UK. It's not such a big island we live on (well, I know, I don't live there any more!) and we actually like you guys north of the border. And also nationalism doesn't have a very good track record in Europe. And while the whole island was probably sold off to corporate America years ago, the notion that nationality is something that divides us seems a bit unhealthy to me in 20th century Europe.

PS I want to correct the above. I wrote the above in the Linux equivalent to MS Word and dragged and dropped it. AND IT CAME OUT IN CHINESE. Honestly, I have been taking no illegal substances today. So probably corporate America has now sold the island to the Chinese!!!

peterinmalaga Wrote:I want to state very clearly that I have a right to dislike the Conservatives just as much as any Scotsman! And I do.

I have to admit getting rather annoyed when the Scots complain that it was the 'English' who forced Thatcher on them, utterly ignoring the large areas of England especially in the North that did not vote for her either.

peterinmalaga Wrote:I think and hope that it will be a hung parliament and I believe that will be very good for the UK. Germany has done pretty well with coalition governments for most of the time since WW2: their economy is still the powerhouse of Europe. I hope and pray we will have a Lib-Lab coalition.

Undoubtedly, Germany has done pretty well since the end of WW2, however I am not sure it was because they had coalition governments, although I am open to persuasion. I am agnostic about the benefits of a hung Parliament for Britain. I don't see how Clegg could justify keeping and unpopular government in office.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

British politics is all about strong governments and charismatic leaders. German politics is more about getting the job done properly and consensus. British politics is far more interesting, of course, but Germany's system works pretty well. Well, it would, wouldn't it, because the Brits had a hand in setting it up after WW2. And we helped to make sure that the Germans did it better. There's nowt so queer as life!
PS The problem for British politics at the moment (and the reason why I think there will be a hung parliament) is that charismatic leaders are a bit thin on the ground. For the future I think the Milibands offer some hope but not this time around, I'm afraid.

peterinmalaga Wrote:British politics is all about strong governments and charismatic leaders. German politics is more about getting the job done properly and consensus.

I totally agree. However my suspicion is that is because of political philosophy, culture and, indeed, history rather than because they end up with coagulation government. I certainly would be very surprised if a single hung Parliament led to a change in culture such that we were governed like Germany.
Fred

I'm sick of these charismatic leaders and repeated digs at other partys.
It reminds me of childrens behavior; cheap bravado followed by kicking dirt and sissy slaping each other.
I'm supposed to pick one of these anoying imbeciles to run the country?!(sarcasm)
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Here's a fascinating prediction Wink

Prime minister Clegg faces wipeout at 2019 election: ePolitix.com

fredv3b Wrote:I predict a Labour loss. I am still trying to figure out whether it be a hung Parliament or an overall Tory majority.

Since I started the thread I think I ought nail my colours to the mast as it were. I predict a hung Parliament.
Fred