Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US just attacked Syria
There's a lot to be concerned about with this situation. I don't have a poli-sci. background, but I like to follow this and know the details. [MENTION=24253]Zen[/MENTION] is absolutely correct about lying to go to war, Gulf of Tonkin being the most well known of these. There are other examples such as the USS Maine, a Kuwaiti diplomats daughter lying to Congress to push for the first Gulf War, and ad nauseum. All of which are factually verifiable. There are of course secret coups supported by the U.S., or orchestrated. A war was started over bananas, BANANAS! The Syrian Civil War has been going on since 2010 with thousands dead and millions displaced. Initially, the war was going to end with Assad putting down the resistance, but the U.S. stepped in to back the rebels. Assad gave up his chemical weapons 2 years ago in a deal brokered by the French if I remember correctly. ISIS is close to being defeated again, and now and attack was made against Assad. Now Assad is unquestionably guilty of war crimes, but capturing him and trying him would cause thousands more deaths and who knows what geopolitical problems. As it stands, it's not Assad and ISIS, there are about another 4 rebel groups fighting of which Al Qaeda is also one (referred to as Al Nusra). The saddest thing is that it has been the official policy of the U.S. to support Al Nusra. When I was younger, I really thought all the talk of corruption and war was nonsense, but I see now how true it really is.

I like the way Good Will Hunting encapsulates the contemporary global situation in late capitalism/ modernity. "Why shouldnt I work forthe NSA?"

Emiliano Wrote:I guess I'm a sensitive little snowflake. But I care about things outside of my direct experience.

I dont want you to think Im attacking you. I just saying focus on the things you can control. Whatever else will be, will be there is nothing you can do to change it. I guess Im the weird one though for not caring, people have told me this my whole life

BTW please stop using the word snowflake, its so ugh! I hear it way too much from the old dickheads I work with.

Scootaloo Wrote:Don't judge us by our "elected" officials.

Why shouldn't anyone judge us by our elected officials? And I'm assuming your use of quotation marks is meant as emphasis of that clear-cut fact? Even here on this forum, certain elements elicited much support for our elected officials. That these elements have all suddenly decided to shut their big, fat traps is largely irrelevant.

I will say that the lopsided idea that U.S. evil, everyone else angelic just makes me appreciate isolationist rhetoric that much more.

[MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]
Attacking Syria is a game of interests, that has nothing to do with humanity and especially with freakin LAW. Whatever happens in Syria, it's up to it's people to sort it out. I still see no reason for outside intervention aside from the obvious one - power/money.