Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uganda Passes Anti LGBT Law
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-26320102

Uganda passes anti LGBT ruling into law, despite previous promise to consult first.

Hopefully the US and other western governments will cut their aid budget significantly as a punishment.

Sad

ObW
X

So, on top of the famous 419 SCAMS that continue to come out of that country, they now have a law that would mean 14 years in jail for anyone who is homosexual. He/she doesn't have to have committed anything, he/she just has to "be"! Against all present scientific knowledge, "homosexuality can be learned so it can be unlearned". Really, right at this moment I can't think of a punishment suitable for such retrograde thinking. I am speechless.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

It also makes it a crime not to report someone you know who is gay.

Can you even imagine what that would be like as a gay teenager, unable to confide in anyone or ask for assistance.

Truly a shocking development.

ObW
X

You can even be punished for… merely touching somebody in an attempt to have sex with them. Uganda already had anti-gay legislation, they,ve made it worse because of pressure from west to teach and educate them, something they can only do for themselves. This is terrible for gay people,

I guess we're supposed to be placated because they removed the death penalty and replaced it with potential life imprisonment.

Cool Uganda.

I enjoy the vague reasoning as well. They're trying to stop 'bad behaviour', as if legally making a whole people need to hide the fact that they exist is not bad.

Gay Rights activists are going to challenge the law in court but I'm sure that fight will be long and have many costs.

I often feel sorry that many countries in Africa are so undeveloped, but at some point, one has to realize that at least some of the plight they find themselves in is because of backwards thinking like this.

I find it ironic how this even came to be, but none the less sad for Ugandans.

The West ,and even the English of the East somewhat, taught them homosexuality was wrong and now are the same ones trying to remove this thinking.

I just can't help but feel like things should've been left well enough alone in the past in some regards, cause now there is struggle today. Like, it's no one's fault per se, but just a simple matter of Humans wanting to tamper with others and now having to deal with those tamperings.

I feel truely disappointed that Uganda, with it's crazy history, is going down an even more closed path to the outside world, instead of branching out and sharing what they have to offer to the world as a culture and people.

I suppose the bigger nations will have to deal with this, cause I'm just from a small island and can't really do anything except for wish well for the gay Ugandans and for all of them actually to try and move forward into the current century.

Mexicanwave to Uganda

no death penalty but life imprisonment. WOOHOOOO!!

Go religious freaks Mexicanwave

Thanks to the UK-back-then for promoting such idiosincracy (back then, back then)

And a special thanks to Fred Phelps and his bunch for their long-reaching work in Uganda Mexicanwave

So, can we start the sanctions, the blockade, stop the financial aid and stuff like that, now?

I'm pretty sure LGBT are not the only human rights being violated in that country, no?

[sarcasm]They need religion, that will make them better people who know right from wrong and treat people decently so that this would never happen and be undone[/sarcasm]

Oh well....

Coming from a really poor country, why don't they just pass bills that would help their country economically?

Good luck Uganda

The few intelligent people of the world need to petition the U.N. to consider this a hostile, illiterate, and extremely violent and hostile country and remove ALL of its rights and protections under the U.N. and make it a "plague" nation, until such time they see fit to come into the 21st century.

Anyone giving relief efforts, aid of any kind, or sending missionaries or human help there will be fined $1,000,000 for EACH infraction.