Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uhmm Curious I Guess
Is it just me or is it that anytime a homosexual or bisexual is portrayed in film they are almost always flambouyant and extreme?
Not that it's anything wrong with that, but that sterotyping of the GLBT Community plays a role in how people view out community and it kinda upset me because I am a very masculine (young) Bi-sexual male -______-
#hmph#
Guess I'm just a lil upset today.

Script-writers may be hard workers (maybe Wink ), but production teams often seem desperately unimaginative. Stereotypes are a very lazy form of characterisation just because everyone thinks they know the code. Sad

DannyE; you're so right! I've been thinking about this a lot, too! I guess Brokeback Mountain doesn't count Tongue (nor some adult films with veeeery manly men, lol)

There are many examples of gay men that are not flamboyant or extreme. I am going to use David and Keith on Six Feet Under as very good examples but there are so many others as well.

Actually if you are feeling kinda upset about it...check out this wiki reference page and you will find the masculine gay fictional characters FAR outnumber the flamboyant ones.

There is hope:biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dra...characters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_te...characters

Herllo there,
I tend to find that alot of them do be portrayed as camp men however i have seen recently in some television shows they are not characterised as camp raving big girls but they seem them first gay second which is what i live by

Which is why i dont do pride

Kindest regards

zeon

Happy Endings was just renewed for a second season today and has a very good example! Brothers & Sisters has had decent examples but that just got cancelled today (U.S. networks announce fall schedules next week, so lots of related news to that this week for those in other areas). And Teddy came out this season on 90210, he's masculine.

I think mainstream films (as opposed to independent or gay-centric) have been worse at this than TV of late, with a few exceptions.

i guess why would they put a gay character in a film if they were just an everyday guy l guess they want them to be flambouyant so they can be a target or be contraversial maybe

Aw that's not true! There are soooo many movies that portray gay guys as totally normal, as in acting almost not at all gay, not showing their sexuality. But then, there ARE so many flamboyant gay guys, right? Usually only fucking dumbass musical series like Glee portray gay guys as so feminine and stuff because they're trying to get more viewers by saying "oh look we are sooo open minded and cool we have a bullied gay in our show".

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:There are soooo many movies that portray gay guys as totally normal, as in acting almost not at all gay, not showing their sexuality.

Please name them.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

in holloaks it was craig and johnpaul . them was like proper gayman