Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinyl - Audiophiles
So this is going to my attempt at writing a thread about vinyl... Collecting, playing...well audio is a big hobby of mine and something I feel that I know a little bit about. It can be a fun hobby and it doesn't have to be expensive at all...

I think the one thing a lot of people assume about vinyl is that it's full of pops and clicks and doesn't sound as good as digital audio...firstly, no vinyl doesn't always have pops and clicks although it does require care and you really need to maintain your equipment. If you allow dust to get on your records you will hear the dust when you play the record, or if you use a worn out stylus (needle).

Here's a little snippet I did of Vinyl vs CD...I bought "Some Nights" by Fun a few years ago which also came with the CD version...

Of course now YouTube applies compression (of both types)...one the analog audio is digital compressed to AAC format and then compressed to make the audio louder so it's not really a fair comparison, but the point is that it is often very difficult to notice the differences between the two formats...

New records are often a bit more expensive than their digital counterparts, that is usually true but it can often be the opposite case when you buy used. Buying a used record doesn't mean you're getting a scratched up record that belongs in the trash. I have bought many, many records off of eBay, or have been given a large number of records that have been sitting in the attic for 20 years and after cleaning have been very happy with the results. On the cheap, some people give the stuff away, so if you're into older stuff then this is a cheap, cheap way to get into some good music.

If you're just getting into vinyl, well you're going to need a record player. I honestly recommend just getting a hold of a used turntable. I personally have a preference for Technics turntables...I have bought, used several of their 80's SL-DB2x series turntables, they're a dime a dozen, easy to operate, built well and very common to come by. DO NOT buy those Crosley turntables...they're very cheap, poor sound quality and will damage and wear out your records. Now if you want to, you can skip buying used and get something more substantial... Depending on how serious you want to get you can spend a few hundred to thousands on turntables...I suggest saving your money for something else which I will bring up when I get to talking about sound quality and while there are big improvements that can be made with the turntable, the stylus, cartridge, etc, often enough improvements can be made with other things, like speaker which I'll dive into later on.

So first things first, some terminology. So we probably all know what the needle is, but needle is wrong...it is a stylus. The stylus is actually a diamond that has been anchored to what we call the cantilever. The cantilever is fixed to the cartridge. Inside the cartridge are a combination of coils and magnets which pick up the grooves of the record. From the cartridge there are small wires the lead to the audio jacks on the back of the turntable. Some turntables have built-in pre-amps, most do not. This means your stereo receiver must have a phono pre-amp or you need to use a stand alone pre-amp. Pre-amps are also another topic of discussion and does impact the sound to a degree, we'll also talk about that later on.

Here's a diagram...

[Image: turntable-parts-record-player-technics-s...dZ5sSgM%3D]

Shopping for a Turntable

If you're totally new to vinyl and don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a new turntable I recommend buying a used Technics turntable. They use a P-mount cartridge which is essentially a plug and play type, requires no alignment, or any setup for tracking force or anti-skate. If you like a challenge, by all means go for a standard mount, you will have a lot more room for upgrades and customization. However, for a beginner, these are rock solid turntables that perform quite well.

Some Technics P-mount turntable models...

SL-BD27
SL-QD33
SL-BD20

All of these were made in the 80's and I have owned or operated these models and all are available for well under $100. Worst case you have to buy a needle or comes without a dust cover. Make sure you get a dust cover.

So now you bought a turntable what do you do now? Well make sure everything works, make sure the speed selector work, cueing, tonearm moves freely, etc.

Shopping for Vinyl

Well there are many places to buy vinyl... I often do find pretty good deals on eBay. However, I find some of the neatest stuff in record stores. When I visit some family out on the coast there's a record store I often go to and splurge on records (sometimes way way too much)... If you buy on eBay, read the listing...some people do sell junk...never buy anything warped or from anyone who can't comment on the condition of the record...unless you're doing to stick it on the wall or something, don't bother...you can always save searches for stuff if it is a rare album.

Should you be buying really old music (i.e. 78 RPM shellac records), I suggest not buying those off the internet as they're very fragile and can crack and break easily in shipping.

That being said, flea markets and estate sales can land you some interesting finds.

Ok, so you want to buy new stuff on Vinyl. eBay can also be a good source for new stuff, there are also catalogs such as Music Direct. You will often pay a premium, but sometimes you can pick up a new record for $10 new, which isn't bad...I have seen plenty of records for $40...$50...or even $100 new...and if it is something rare and still factory sealed, such as Dave Mathews Band - Before These Crowded Streets where there were only 1,000 copies pressed on vinyl they can go for $1,000. So now, doesn't look like that one will ever be in my collection. That being said, just because it is rare doesn't mean you should pay through the nose for it. A good example is Baz Luhrmann's Sunscreen Song. I found that on vinyl...one was $300 and the other listing I found was $10... Why? Well one person knew the Sunscreen Song and the other didn't know what the deal was...Well I bought the $10 one and was perfectly happy with it. I have a pretty rare single (I think there were only 1,000 made from what I remember reading) and paid $10 for it. So do your research if you come across something expensive and you really want it. So it is a matter of how much it is worth to you and being patient to wait for a good listing.

The other thing that often happens, once your friends know you're into vinyl is that someone will eventually clean out their attic and couldn't be happier to have it out of their hair. You can come across great finds, but also a bunch of crap you'll never play. My advice, cherry pick if you can, worst case take them all and give away the rest later on. I gave away about 80 records I was given but didn't want to keep to a thrift store.

Cleaning Records

This is another subject of debate. You can spend hundreds on automatic record cleaners but not everyone has the liberty of doing that. So here's a cheap solutions.

First, dirty is the record. Well in my case when I came back from the flea market all the records were covered in dirt, silt and dust...not about to wipe them. Some will strongly disagree with what I did, but to me labels aren't the end of the world... I put the records in the sink with warm water using a microfiber cloth, washed off the majority of the crap.

However, for casual cleaning, a solution (alcohol free) for cleaning records and a felt brush is sufficient for cleaning.

Also invest in a anti-static brush. Use it before playing records. Records easily become statically charged... The brush attracts the dust and debris. Simply turn on the turntable and allow it to spin several time and work the brush into the center...once you have the brush in the center touch the spindle in the center to discharge. You can take it a step further and use an anti-static gun which shoots ions on the record which gets rid of the charge, but the first method is cheaper and from what I and others have seen is plenty effective.

NEVER use alcohol or household cleaners to clean records...Alcohol dries out the vinyl and will reduce sound quality.

NEVER wet play your records.. This gets dirt, grime and other crap deep into the grooves and can also damage the stylus and cantilever... The stylus is often glued to the cantilever, water, alcohol can weaken the bond or worse can cause the stylus to come apart...

Turntable Maintenance

If you have a P-mount cartridge, there's not a whole lot to worry about. However, you should clean the stylus using the stylus brush. Keep the turntable free from dust.

Then comes the question, how long does a stylus last?

Generally speaking a stylus will last about 1,000 hours of playback so this might be a year, may be longer depending on how often you play vinyl. The condition of the records you play...dirty and scratched LP's will wear the stylus out faster.

For those who collect and play 78's. The stylus is different and doesn't last as long. The stylus on those is made from sapphire. You can expect about 300 hours of playback with those styli. For those who are using gramophone record players the needles use a steel or fiber stylus which should be replaced after each use (although I hear people would often keep using them...although I'd say that playing your 78's on a modern turntable is a bit easier on the shellac).

Resources

Even a nerd like me hasn't done everything. So if you need to know more about aligning a cartridge, setting tracking force, anti-skate or more information check these videos out.

A little lengthy, but good explanation about anti-skate and how to set up...

Feel free to ask questions...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I have an old Technics SL-3300 with an original audio technica 120e cartridge. Where might I find a new stylus for this?

I have an immense vinyl collection from the 80s and early 90s that I haven't touched in decades.

Looks like they still make that cartridge...or well they still sell new ones anyway....

Well did a little searching this looks like a replacement stylus... They don't go into detail about what kind of stylus it is...I like to know whether it's conical, elliptical, etc..

http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Techni...category=4

Also, did more looking around and these in addition are other Audio Technica styli that will fit on your 120E...

ATN125LC
ATN130E
ATN140LC
ATN155LC
ATN160ML

If price becomes an issue you might consider replacing the cartridge... My turntable has an Ortofon 2M red, it is a regular standard mount, sounds nice for it being a $99 cartridge...they have higher quality on the 2M line...2M Blue, 2M Bronze, and 2M Black...they also make a stylus for playing 78's (which I have, and it plays the 78's very well)...

Hope this helps Smile
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Also my advice with the stylus, pay a little extra, try not getting cheap after market styli, they often fall short on sound quality in my experience...
Check out my stuff!

The way I understood it, the e in 120e meant elliptical, and the 120 meant it cost about 120 bucks list price. I guess the cost has come down somewhat due to inflation, but not in nominal dollars.

i have years of experience as a sound engineer* and i will never switch from digital audio to vinyl. nope. CD audio and DVD audio (the audio format with its sampling rate of 192 kHz, not the video DVD audio!) are high quality sound formats. as long as you keep the signal digital until the very end till it reaches the speakers (through optical cabling) the sound is much much superior to vinyl. and even without the benefit of optical cabling you are still better off with CD than vinyl.

also, unless your vinyl records are from before digital era, by far all of the music is recorded digitally today. so, what you really are getting on your vinyl record is an analog sound converted to digital and then converted back to analog for the pressing. then it gets converted again (analog-to-analog) in your turntable player and in the amplifiers. any conversion from digital to analog and between them results in loss of quality. in my CDs and DVD Audio discs the sound remains as it was recorded through the player and the amplifier till the very end when it finally reaches the speakers. the purity is undeniable and no vinyl will ever stand comparison.

vinyl is at its most adequate the very first time you listen to the disc. with every consecutive listen you slightly modify the track on it, which will eventually result in degradation of quality over time. conversely, degradation in digital medium doesn't happen.

*i don't call myself sound engineer because my main line of work is something else and i don't want to be identified as sound engineer; but i've worked the field for a long time, and still do at times (unfortunately).
''Do I look civilized to you?''

meridannight Wrote:i have years of experience as a sound engineer* and i will never switch from digital audio to vinyl. nope. CD audio and DVD audio (the audio format with its sampling rate of 192 kHz, not the video DVD audio!) are high quality sound formats. as long as you keep the signal digital until the very end till it reaches the speakers (through optical cabling) the sound is much much superior to vinyl. and even without the benefit of optical cabling you are still better off with CD than vinyl.

also, unless your vinyl records are from before digital era, by far all of the music is recorded digitally today. so, what you really are getting on your vinyl record is an analog sound converted to digital and then converted back to analog for the pressing. then it gets converted again (analog-to-analog) in your turntable player and in the amplifiers. any conversion from digital to analog and between them results in loss of quality. in my CDs and DVD Audio discs the sound remains as it was recorded through the player and the amplifier till the very end when it finally reaches the speakers. the purity is undeniable and no vinyl will ever stand comparison.

vinyl is at its most adequate the very first time you listen to the disc. with every consecutive listen you slightly modify the track on it, which will eventually result in degradation of quality over time. conversely, degradation in digital medium doesn't happen.

*i don't call myself sound engineer because my main line of work is something else and i don't want to be identified as sound engineer; but i've worked the field for a long time, and still do at times (unfortunately).

Well, first this isn't a format wars thread, wasn't supposed to be anyway. Most people can't tell the difference between digital and vinyl...actually I bet in a blind test no one would be able to tell... It really doesn't matter. The reason why people go for the vinyl other than the unique sound (which might very be distortion), is that it is tangible, you can hold it, you often get posters, lyrics, all sorts of goodies that you don't get with an iTunes download or a CD. Technically speaking, no vinyl doesn't compare to digital and it shouldn't. Doesn't stack up on stereo separation, dynamic range, distortion, etc...even the rumble from the warping of the record, stylus dragging through the groove, etc...however interestingly enough almost no one can tell a difference...ok I'm sure you can with a record that has been played 15,000 times with a worn out stylus...which was typical for people to throw on a record with smudges and dirt all over it...

When it comes to sound quality, you're not capped at 22 kHz resolution as you are with CD's...in the 70's they had Quadraphonic records that used carrier tones well above 40 kHz. Does it really matter? Not really, unless you're an 8 year old who can still hear 20+ kHz...most people can't do much better than 15 kHz, and the older we get the less Hi-Fi matters. My mother can't hear anything over 9 kHz, I teased her saying she probably couldn't tell the difference between AM and FM...

Surface noise, rumble are all factors that can be reduced and controlled by using and maintain equipment. Stereo separation is more than adequate, anything over 15 dB you can't tell a difference...

It is all a matter of preference. Maybe I'm going deaf, but I enjoy it. There is nothing quite like vinyl, it does have a different feel to it and it is more intimate than digital could ever be.

So yep I can hear the stylus dragging through the grooves. I have a complete set of Klipsch Reference speakers and yeah I can hear more crap, but I can also hear a ton of detail that I never could hear out of my records and nope never really bought too many CD's, I've experienced mostly compressed digital audio which is crap in comparison.

The point I'm trying to make is aside from the pops you might hear, most people aren't going to tell a difference. Although I can usually tell, on new or clean records it can be a challenge. I mean the pops are a giveaway, but when there aren't any... You don't always get a hiss with analog, or much rumble either... Just depends on the setup...

I mean, I'm satisfied with the sound quality of my...heart shaped 45 lol
Check out my stuff!

Camfer Wrote:The way I understood it, the e in 120e meant elliptical, and the 120 meant it cost about 120 bucks list price. I guess the cost has come down somewhat due to inflation, but not in nominal dollars.

Not sure... It could very well be the case, but usually you can get different styli for each cartridge... conical, elliptical, super elliptical, etc... They often reuse cartridge bodies for different tiers of cartridges... Like my Ortofon 2M Red...which is a $99 cartridge....the 2M Black, while any 2M styli will fit, is a $600 cartridge... Definitely sounds better than the red, but you're really splitting hairs imo... I mean I'd love to have the black but I can think of much better things to do with $600 right now lol like pay off the debt I already have lol

The Audio Technica 440MLA is also a well received cartridge and is also about the same in price range, and sounds good (well from what I can tell off of YouTube).
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:Well, first this isn't a format wars thread, wasn't supposed to be anyway. Most people can't tell the difference between digital and vinyl...actually I bet in a blind test no one would be able to tell...

well, i wasn't starting a war.

it's fine if you like it. different people like different things, and different people have different preferences. some people still listen to cassettes. some people don't listen to music at all (weird!).

however i do say this: difference between vinyl and CD is obvious. at least on my home stereo system the difference is crystal clear. but i do have a system that is in top 5% in the world in sound quality (i am not kidding). so, there is that.

i keep the signal digital up until the speakers, like i mentioned before. that makes a world of difference. that's what really brings out the beauty of digital sound and makes the comparison between it and analog so obvious. and this is how it should be listened. when you convert your digital into the analog early on in the playback (e.g. already in the CD player) then, the difference might become more blurred, i agree on that.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

From my computer I use fiber optic... I got Klipsch Reference speakers which was a huge upgrade for me... Top 5%? What do you have McIntosh stuff?

Yeah I get it... 384 kHz /48-bit DAC is going to beat anything else out there....

Now that being said, I think a lot of the Hi-Fi market is largely snake oil... I get these magazines in the mail (Music Direct is one of them) and they're selling power cords for $200 because they're supposed to make your music sound better...bullshit.

The biggest upgrade one can do, besides choosing SACD, CD, Vinyl, etc is your speakers... I had a set of Optimus (Radio Shack) speakers...had those ribbon tweeters and they we're "OK" but they aren't even in the same sport as the Klipsch set...although I paid damn near $2,000 on everything... In my opinion it made having vinyl much more worthwhile to me... Yes, there is no doubt that I'm playing vinyl, most of my records do have a few pops and you can hear a little bit of noise from the turntable itself... sometimes there's records that have very noticeable distortion in vocals, silibance, heck I got records you can hear the warp... That being said, I think it is the most interesting, warm analog format...and really it just is a pleasure to listen to. Not necessarily arguing which is a superior format or what gives the best sound quality... There are plenty of people that will throw down over vinyl... I've seen many threads on AudioKarma on the subject... People going on about the sound stage and all this when it is really just the L & R being slightly out of phase, people are nuts.

Anyway, I take you don't collect vinyl? lol

I am also curious about your top 5% system...

As for mine...it is the loudest stereo I have seen, absolutely painful in a large 24x24 room.... Just need some bass traps/ padding to get rid of nulls... Really on the noisy side with the computer, air purifier and so on for quiet critical listening...
Check out my stuff!