Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viruses, Spyware & Malware
sox-and-the-city Wrote:I'm currently using Mint, actually...

I may not be able to out geek you, but i can maybe rival you :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Shall we join supremely nerdy forces and lol in the faces of MAC users everywhere??

Mint is actually build on Ubuntu :biggrin:, but I'm impressed normally the newbies use Ubuntu then they say its the best without trying out any other.

hehe, if I let my geeky side out... I'd never get a shag.Roflmao

CardShark Wrote:Mint is actually build on Ubuntu :biggrin:, but I'm impressed normally the newbies use Ubuntu then they say its the best without trying out any other.

Yeah cos i totally never did my homework and never would have realised that.. :tongue::tongue::tongue: It's infinitely better than Ubuntu simply because i say so, and they're not the same, honest...

Lol see you say that, but i'm sure that you would, geeks have this amazing appeal (personally i like leading them astray hehe, they think i'm not one of them. I am. I just also happen to be a bitchy fashoin queen...)

sox-and-the-city Wrote:geeks have this amazing appeal

Roflmao Roflmao Roflmao
Roflmao Roflmao Roflmao
Roflmao Roflmao Roflmao
Roflmao Roflmao Roflmao

CardShark Wrote:Mint is actually build on Ubuntu :biggrin:, but I'm impressed normally the newbies use Ubuntu then they say its the best without trying out any other.

Not true I like nerds hehe

WinkRoflmaoRolleyes

sox-and-the-city Wrote:Shall we join supremely nerdy forces and lol in the faces of MAC users everywhere??

Why would you say something like that sox? I am not a MAC fan boy as I love my cheap old dell with xp and before owning a MAC thought it was a bunch of crap for the elite but I have grown to love my Apple products and the customer care and the software and the fanboys producing free apps and the community that will go out of their way to help a new user...

This month marks the 25th anniversary of MAC and in an article they show the time line of the products...

just the fact that they produced the first consumer mouse input device (original device was available for commercial use at $400 (to build) and Apple brought it to the consumer for $25) should have every computer user appreciative of what Apple foresight has done for the user.

*the first personal computer which could display truly photorealistic images

*the first all in one personal computer which included the first computer to offer USB ports as standard, abandon the 3½-inch diskette drive

*the industry’s first combo CD and DVD burning optical drive

those are just a few of the things that are now standard in all consumer computing... I am sure there are others

fjp999 Wrote:... I have grown to love my Apple products ...
I have fond(ish) memories of my first bite at an Apple in the mid-80s, a Macintosh 128, with its monochrome 9 inch screen which somehow seemed so much better in every way from the BBC Master 128 with which I was so frustrated. Reading the screen was like peering into a letter box. I've used Macs, not exclusively, since then and currently use one for music production and scorewriting.

Nostalgic sigh Rolleyes

[Image: 128k.gif]

fjp999 Wrote:Why would you say something like that sox? I am not a MAC fan boy as I love my cheap old dell with xp and before owning a MAC thought it was a bunch of crap for the elite but I have grown to love my Apple products and the customer care and the software and the fanboys producing free apps and the community that will go out of their way to help a new user...
You'd love Linux then... tonnes of free software held in a database you can just click and download... brilliant in my eyes.

fjp999 Wrote:just the fact that they produced the first consumer mouse input device (original device was available for commercial use at $400 (to build) and Apple brought it to the consumer for $25) should have every computer user appreciative of what Apple foresight has done for the user.
Apple created the first greaphical user interface, so without that you wouldn't have the mouse :biggrin:.
Then Microsoft started ranting about how they made it first... no change their, bloody MS.

fjp999 Wrote:*the first personal computer which could display truly photorealistic images

*the first all in one personal computer which included the first computer to offer USB ports as standard, abandon the 3½-inch diskette drive

*the industry’s first combo CD and DVD burning optical drive
I don't believe a few of them are true, if we're talking about 1st computer to sell these products retail then I might agree, but you could buy a combo drive before apple brought it out in their machines.

I love computer history, mostly to do with the program side of things.

I can tell you 3 facts
Apple USED to be nice.
Microsofr are NEVER nice.
Linux is FREE... Luxhello

Apple have taken the MS approach to taking over the whole market, similar to IBM but now apple have a range of good products and know how to market them correctly, relying upon their brand... they used to be a nice company but now their complete ... Evil_lol

MS have always sued anyone trying to get in their way, the first reason MS became popular because their first commercial operating system was offered out for free... then it came to the point where it was the most well known and no one else knew anything else.
Not forgetting the government that slipped in and helped then to succeed by giving them better grounds to sue on.

Linux they don't have much behind it, their income comes from training n' all that... they can't market it very well as they don't have money behind them, but I have to say Linux IS one of the most powerful operating systems out their.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
I run Ubuntu for my desktop and server, I absolutely love it but I have modified it a lot Smile.

90% of the internet is build on Linux/Unix servers... why because its the most secure.
the other 10% of people running servers just want the easy way out and use the buggies operating systems out their windoze.

sorry to hear about youre virus card as you know I know sweet FA about computers but was very impressed by youre above analysis. You should seriously consider writing for one of them computer analsyis magazines or summit. A cyberhug goes out to cardsharks computer. Ps thanks for the advice you gave me the other day it paid off.

pps Yes computer nerds are very sexy

OK, first off, I dont know anything that I am talking about but from my reading (my nightly reading consist of computer mags which put me to sleep nicely Scatter )

CardShark Wrote:You'd love Linux then... tonnes of free software held in a database you can just click and download... brilliant in my eyes.

But isnt the Apple OS based on Unix and Linux is a "Unix-like" OS, so they are based on the same thing right???

Apple created the first greaphical user interface, so without that you wouldn't have the mouse :biggrin:.
Then Microsoft started ranting about how they made it first... no change their, bloody MS.

From what I read, Apple found someone had developed the mouse ($400 to manufacture) and was so excited by it that they re-wrote their OS to become the first GUI...

I don't believe a few of them are true, if we're talking about 1st computer to sell these products retail then I might agree, but you could buy a combo drive before apple brought it out in their machines.

Yes, I was referring to all those as being the first company to bring the price down and sell them in computers for consumers... just as with the mouse costing $400 to manufacture Apple brought it down to $25 for consumer use... Apple may be like the Japanese who dont invent anything but are able to bring things to the consumer at a good price. It looks like the Army & NASA is one of largest inventors of new products for us in the field... been reading about new battery technology the army is using now and very exciting... can be painted on the computer.

I love computer history, mostly to do with the program side of things.

I can tell you 3 facts
Apple USED to be nice.
Microsofr are NEVER nice.
Linux is FREE... Luxhello
[COLOR="purple"]I guess one might say that the first two are opinions and the third a truth...

Did Apple become Un-Nice when Microsoft added a large cash infusion which most believe gave Apple consumer confidence that Microsoft was in support of Apple OS...[/COLOR]

Apple have taken the MS approach to taking over the whole market, similar to IBM but now apple have a range of good products and know how to market them correctly, relying upon their brand... they used to be a nice company but now their complete ... Evil_lol

sooooo when a company successful, has a range of good products and knows how to market them correctly... = EVIL???

MS have always sued anyone trying to get in their way, the first reason MS became popular because their first commercial operating system was offered out for free... then it came to the point where it was the most well known and no one else knew anything else.
Not forgetting the government that slipped in and helped then to succeed by giving them better grounds to sue on.

Some even call MS a monopoly with government support... but B.Gates does do a LOT of great charity work.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
I run Ubuntu for my desktop and server, I absolutely love it but I have modified it a lot Smile.

Not being really genus with computers and add ons I just want the things I need to do to work without a struggle and I do that with both my systems but find that it is so much easier with macs as things are much more integrated it seems...

90% of the internet is build on Linux/Unix servers... why because its the most secure.
the other 10% of people running servers just want the easy way out and use the buggies operating systems out their windoze.