Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We may not last because of Faith and Religion..
The best I can do is point to three instances of same gendered love that is in the bible.

1st Samuel - The story of Johnathan and David.

In order to really get it, forget everything that the pulpit has said about these two men. Instead read the story and really think about how it is working out. For Instance, take Saul (John's Dad) he gets really, really upset about their relationship. Seriously if they were 'just friends' why would Saul be so.... um... homophobic about it?

Then there is the book of Ruth. Ruth and Naomi, once again, have to be read without the context of all of those 'interpretations' that the Church has shoved down our throats. Two women who are in love with each other.

In both of these cases God blessed these couples - David went on to become the king of Israel.

Then there is the Centurion and his Slave. (Luke 7). What modern churches fail to mention (or gloss over) is that the word slave isn't just meaning a slave - it comes from the Greek Pais, which is a special kind of slave - a young man/boy assigned to polish and repair his Centurion's armor and sword and polish his.... well, erm.... ... well typically for Centurions they spent a goodly amount of time away from home. It was accepted custom that they would know their pais in the biblical sense. This was considered 'not cheating' on the wife back home in Rome.

Further, Church hates to mention anything about Roman Culture. For instance, the Centurion risked a lot going to a local medicine man of the newly conquered nation of Israel that was a pain in the butt for Rome. That was a huge no-no and the centurion could have lost his job and his life if his Commanding Officer(s) found out.

Secondly, his actions/reaction over a mere slave (just property) was too intense - he went to Jesus for help for someone he cared deeply about.

Until the 1300's the Catholic Church married same gendered individuals openly. Then it went 'into the closet' until the 19th century where the Church abolished the act.

The reality is that those verses that are used to condemn homosexuality are not condemning homosexual sex done in an act of love, they are condemning such things as Moloch worship (that Leviticus line about lying with a man like with woman wasn't about love - it was about the acts of the worshipers of Moloch. Go, find the whole chapter and read the whole chapter and see what else the worshipers of Moloch were 'condemned' for.

The bible also prohibits fornication (which is something that only a man and a woman can do because it requires both a penis and a vagina - sorry, the modern use of fornication to imply same gendered sex is way off base). It also prohibits a lot of other 'sex for the sake of sex' stuff that straight people do.

True or False: God is love.

If True, then if you love this guy and are intent on sharing your lives together and being a united being (two souls becoming one) than that sex you two have (yes even if its BDSM) is ok as long as it is out of love and sharing - intimacy.

If False, then God lied about a lot of stuff and its best to run - as far and fast as you can from this God Person.

Sadly, in the past 200 years the churches (denominations) have set about condemning homosexuality which really wasn't called homosexuality until the mid 1800's.

The Greeks had several words for specific types of homosexuality. That passage in the King James version about effeminate and abusers of themselves with mankind are from two made up words - words that the Author combined from existing Greek - which leads us to have to wonder why if he was condemning same gender sex why didn't he just use the Greek words that already existed?

Well one - effeminate (from a Greek word meaning 'soft') Which is a form of femininity, but not like 'swish and lisp' kind, but the kind that the rich had. Back in those days the rich would be soft, soft hands, soft of body to show they labored not. This was condemnation of the Rich. Considering Jesus' take on the rich that makes sense.

As for the other word.... well its way to long to try to explain, so a link: http://www.clgs.org/arsenokoit%C3%A9s-an...nsequences

Understand that there are many gay Christians in the world. Many have come to accept that homosexuality in the form of love is ok, but homosexuality in the form of lust isn't ok. Which stands up to the rest of the bible which harps on the straights over 600 times about the difference between love and lust. Its not that the straights need more guidance... Well maybe they do.

There are a lot of sites out there that will give you a different interpretation than the so called 'traditional' one of 'hate the gay'. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Gay...+the+bible gives many, many sites, some argue both sides, some argue one side.

It boils down to faith here. Do you honestly believe God would create you, your BF, me, and millions of others who are desirous of love with a person of the same gender then turn around and condemn that love?

I for one do not, I flat refuse that God is a cruel trickster - that would be Loki, or Coyote, or one of the manifestations of "The Devil".

There are gay Affirming Churches out there. http://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/ is a finder. Go find a church that you two can go to that meets your particular brand of faith (yes there are individual catholic churches that actually have a positive, affirming take on homosexuality) and talk to the pastor/priest, head high guru - whatever and see what comes of it.

If your BF cannot accept himself and his ability to love another man, to cleave to another man, then that is something that he has to take to the Lord in Prayer.

Print up what I wrote (if you want) and hand it to him.

Lastly, which is words to him, Test the spirits - This means weigh in your heart your true feelings for this man. Do you honestly believe God condemns your love for this man?

Camfer Wrote:When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be a post about how all of humanity may not last because of faith and religion. That would have made some sense to me and been an interesting read. And that's coming from a deeply spiritual person.

Well, there was a reason I put this in the RELATIONSHIPS forum instead of general discussion... Tongue

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I'm sorry, but has God walked up to you and said to your face "this is what I have planned for you"?

How can you possibly know -what- God has planned for you? As is very well known "God works in mysterious ways", yeah?.

meridannight Wrote:you are asking for a rational answer/solution to a completely irrational question and a way of life.

i have no answer or solution for your situation. i think religion is useless bullshit. i think people who put strangers' points of view and judgment (from hundreds and thousands of years back no less) above their own knowledge and life experience shouldn't come complaining when those strangers' standards irrevocably clash with what they want out of life. does this really come as a surprise to you? anybody could have predicted this.

no religious person has solved this dilemma without modifying their understanding on what religion is and how they should follow it. your option is to either give up your religion or give up your chance at happiness with the guy you want. you should know this is what it comes down to without asking any advice from anybody.

[MENTION=20738]TwisttheLeaf[/MENTION]: Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that. I should have written,"We know and believe that we should do what God has planned for us, no matter what that may be. We love each other, but we don't know if God planned for us to be together or not, especially since we are both still unsure of Biblical references towards it."

[MENTION=21405]meridannight[/MENTION]: We do not know what God has planned, and I did not write this to ASK others what God has planned for us, or for anyone to give me an ANSWER of any sort. How could I expect anyone to give me an answer to this kind of question?? I am on here for ADVICE and to seek counsel of those who may have been in my situation and how they dealt with it. I have no one to turn to in a situation like this that I can ask advice. NOT only am I still new the bi life and closeted, but I am scared. I was raised around people who say homosexuality is a terrible sin and despise homosexuals. BE GLAD I DIDN'T TURN OUT LIKE THEM!! Instead, I am on here talking to all of you and asking for your advice and wisdom. Yes, I am religious and pray every day for help, answers, and truth. However, it is nice to get a persons reply who may have dealt with this same issue.

[MENTION=22703]ca1050[/MENTION] don't take it personally. i've been an atheist my whole life. was raised liberally and never had any substantial experience with religious people as i was growing up. i don't understand religion, nor religious people. it's fully ridiculous and moronic to me, the idea of sacrificing what you want in life for some stupid religion. i stand by that. i haven't been brainwashed by religion to think in a certain way, i can see things clearly.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

This conversation in religious circles have always amazed me due to the ignorance of those so- called Christians within the Church. I am a devout reader of the Bible and I do believe in God, faith and religion wholeheartedly. In fact, I know what faith and God can do and have done in my life and I am a true testament that God is real and does exist due to personal, traumatic situations that I've endured in my lifetime. However, I have had several ministers/pastors left speechless when I bring up the fact that what is mentioned in the Bible in regard to homosexuality was not spoken from God himself...this was something that was mentioned by one or two of his disciples. If you've noticed that throughout the Bible that when God speaks, his speaks all about love...and far as I'm concerned...God Is Love. Homosexuality is something that was very relevant during those times as well...the Bible speaks in a tongue in cheek manner about a lot of male on male sexuality that happened during those times especially in my opinion the story of the relationship between David and Jonathan. Jonathan left his wife to spend time and be there for David when the King had betrayed him and was on a pursuit to kill him. Jonathan risk his life to keep David secret as well as putting his relationship between David and himself in high priority of his wife. When I read this chapter many times...I had always came to the realization that their relationship was not just a strong friendship but a love that was shared between two men. Just my opinion...JS

I'll throw in my two cents bro.

You're going back to Leviticus, and perhaps a reference or two from Peter?

Surely you've noticed that Christ was completely silent on this subject.

He said a lot of things on a lot of subjects but he never said anything about love being wrong one way or the other, or about who it was or was not permissable to love. What he did say was that Love was the most powerful force in the universe that trumped everything else.

If you're going to interpret Leviticus literally, no man is allowed to shave their beard and women who are having their period are unclean and have to leave town.

Christ said on the Sermon on the Mount that he had come to pull us up to a different point...

Love God, and treat other people like you would want to be treated.

What could be simpler? What a shame it would be if two guys who hit it off soon would let an extrapolation from the Torah stand in their way. You have a chance at happiness bro don't let some old text stand in your way.

Peace

unless your friend is Jewish and follows the Torah and the Talmud, the New Testament is the Testament of Christ's teachings, and the Sermon on the Mount is what Chrisitians follow, not the Torah and Talmud.

You might want to ask him to remember that. I don't recall Christ addressing homosexuality in that Sermon. Or any other for that matter. Perhaps because it is irrelevant... if it it was that important surely he would have addressed it?

I was christened in two separate churches...
Two different denominations...
Was a choir boy, soloists , was a lead in every play, had ministers in my family, was in church 20+ hours every week for the first 15 years of my life...but knew I was gay since age 6.

To lenghten my struggles I was molested at age 7, Tormented myself until the age of 23, when I made peace with myself and my Heavenly Father.

I have never dated a single girl or convinced myself otherwise... I knew what I was and knew God made me this way.

There are questions and answers that are beyond us .. and until we meet our maker, we will be in the dark regarding so many issues.

Be a true loving christian.. be the best you can possibly be.

On another note...
That Hymn...
"I will make you fishers of men?"
Any man that sings this in church with a smirk on his face...
As I did...
Is a dirty little homo!

My version of God is more like Mother Nature.....

...and if I had to give her a face.... I am pretty sure SHE looks something like this...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoMBNs0tnBuqcKccjLf-V...n-V8AkQW39]

But just in case I am wrong...If God is anything like the fundies say he is...it is "I" who would have nothing to do with him...

A homophobic God...and his homophobic children...can kiss my ass...

You and Bishop Tutu, East.
I bid NO Trump!