Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoko Ono
Okay, I feel like I need to discuss this somewhere, and there's no way in hell anyone around me in real life would be up for it. I simply don't get why people hate Yoko Ono.

Most people go "durr hurr she broke up The Beatles" but I highly doubt that's true. There were lots of tensions within the band before she even entered the picture. Besides, even if they ultimately broke up because of her, it wouldn't be reasonable to hold her responsible. She was very supportive of Lennon and he obviously WANTED her around him, both privately in the studio.

Second of all, a lot of people hate her for her music itself. I've actually discovered that when she's not creating seemingly random noise for "artsy" reasons, her music can be pretty enjoyable; sometimes even impressive. Even if someone believes it DOES suck, however, that's still no reason to hate anyone.

Some people hate for because she's mainly famous by association - which is not in any way her fault. Others have blamed her for living off of her late husband but to me, most of her products that involve Lennon somehow seem to be tributes, more or less. Besides, criticizing an avant-garde artist for selling out, or exploiting something for commercial purposes makes little sense to begin with.

On the other hand, she's an open supporter of same-sex marriage, gender equality, peace and the complete abolishment of racism. She's created a peace award where money is given to artists who reside in regions of conflict. During the iraqi invasion she sent flowers to a couple holding a love-in protest, wishing them the best. She constantly supported Lennon, even giving him courage in times of doubt.

The stuff she puts out on Twitter, whilst often bizarre is usually very warm and sweet as well:

"Dance in your dream. Go out into the street and hug everybody you meet. Tell them how beautiful they are. Dance together."

"Tape the sound of the lake gradually freezing. Drink a cup of hot chocolate afterwards."

"Tape the sounds of friends laughing together. Save it for a rainy day".

I just REALLY, REALLY want to know why people hate this woman? Do you know of any valid reason?

(I made this thread because me playing her music showed up on Facebook and someone called her a pretentious Jap bitch who killed the best band ever).

I dunno sometimes I think it might even have something to do with a whole lot of men hating the idea of an independent Asian woman figure. It's that 'dragon lady' archetype that men (actually not even just men) seem to dislike, because people are used to seeing pretty little pale asians who do nothing but speak in a cute accent.

I've seen the same thing in a lot of different places: the most recent is the couple Ashlee and Sophia from the australian cooking show MKR. People say they were bitches, and they kind of were, but mostly they were just ambitious and independent - they were actually good cooks instead of just housewives (which people seem to like much better).

Back to yoko Ono, it's no help that her work is not very conventional, or even pleasant to listen to, but I don't see how people seem to have this seething hatred for someone. It's not like she was an evil dictator...

Thats another thing, people overhype and overvalue public performance figures: here in NZ, the media and everyone seems to hail Lorde as some kind of NZ heroine. Well yes, her achievements are great, and kudos to her, but she's still just a seventh former who goes to one of my friend's school up in takapuna. She gets celebrated for her popularity which is outside her control, whereas at the same time kiwis like Lydia Ko get less publicity and praise, even though they have made equally amazing achievements on the global stage.

I think at some point though it just comes down to the favt that people like to have a thing to hate unconditionally.

Lilitu Wrote:I dunno sometimes I think it might even have something to do with a whole lot of men hating the idea of an independent Asian woman figure. It's that 'dragon lady' archetype that men (actually not even just men) seem to dislike, because people are used to seeing pretty little pale asians who do nothing but speak in a cute accent.

I've seen the same thing in a lot of different places: the most recent is the couple Ashlee and Sophia from the australian cooking show MKR. People say they were bitches, and they kind of were, but mostly they were just ambitious and independent - they were actually good cooks instead of just housewives (which people seem to like much better).

Back to yoko Ono, it's no help that her work is not very conventional, or even pleasant to listen to, but I don't see how people seem to have this seething hatred for someone. It's not like she was an evil dictator...

Thats another thing, people overhype and overvalue public performance figures: here in NZ, the media and everyone seems to hail Lorde as some kind of NZ heroine. Well yes, her achievements are great, and kudos to her, but she's still just a seventh former who goes to one of my friend's school up in takapuna. She gets celebrated for her popularity which is outside her control, whereas at the same time kiwis like Lydia Ko get less publicity and praise, even though they have made equally amazing achievements on the global stage.

I think at some point though it just comes down to the favt that people like to have a thing to hate unconditionally.

Hmm, I see where you come from. I guess people who suffered from Beatles mania found it easier to blame an actual human being for the break-up, rather than the general tensions and differences.

About her music though, a lot of it really isn't that unconventional. Most people have seen clips of her screaming relentlessly, but she made lots of albums rooted in psychedelic rock. Her delivery is a little unusual; I've heard it's inspired by Japanese kabuki recital but I wouldn't really know, and that's about it. She's made a lot of slower, sweet and catchy tunes accompanied by simple piano and guitar; some of her lyrics are even pretty good. So there's definitely a more accessible side to her, even if she's rooted in very abstract and radical art.

Her origin and gender were probably extremely relevant back in the 60's when the hatred began. I guess those factors could still be relevant today? Overall though, I guess some people's love for The Beatles just goes beyond all reason, enabling them to unjustly demonize a woman who's not only innocent but who's actually used her fame for philanthropic and charitable purposes.

Oh, and as a side-note: "Imagine" was based on her poems, so credit to her for that...

I don't like her, note, "don't like" , not hate, just in case anybody gets confused;
For reasons I've said before, about her and my country. In fact, I wouldn't even go so far as to say I don't like her, but her actions and mannerisms in regard my country.

But that's me, and I think it unwise to try to figure out why, as I've already stated why. It'd be redundant.

However, she seems to be a fabulous ass bitch. She does great things, makes shitty music, was very influential to john Lennon, all that. I'm not taking that from her.

Just some people have their reasons, that at sometimes valid to them and sometimes, over time those reasons lose validity and people get over it or realize they were just being cunts.

You can't expect to understand or be shown a view opposite to yours, when you are already biased. You like her, I don't find her the best thing since sliced cheese,you're obviously not gonna see where I am coming from and I can't change that.

In fact, I don't even find John Lennon or the Beatles all that invigorating either. Its just not something I like or am interested in.

If you like her, why does anyone else's opinion, which in result could oppose yours, matter? It will only cause arguments and derision, which can ultimately be avoided by simply not allowing bias.

In most cases anyway :3 Sheep

I remember hearing her music back in the day and thinking WTF! Don't think think much one way or the other about her, but I did grow up enjoying the Beatles.

She always seemed like a distraction I guess.

Well, I can only think of me......if **I** were in her place.

Someone murders my husband, someone who dedicated his life to music, peace, and happiness.
I think it would be my job for the rest of my life, to make sure that I continue on a musical tradition, for his memory. I would have to do something for him, or go insane.

I ran across a couple of her videos on Youtube last week, and I watched them. They were pretty good. She has a sense of humor, obviously.

As stated previously, aside from her "artsy" endeavors, her music is pretty damn good.

Sylph Wrote:I don't like her, note, "don't like" , not hate, just in case anybody gets confused;
For reasons I've said before, about her and my country. In fact, I wouldn't even go so far as to say I don't like her, but her actions and mannerisms in regard my country.

But that's me, and I think it unwise to try to figure out why, as I've already stated why. It'd be redundant.

However, she seems to be a fabulous ass bitch. She does great things, makes shitty music, was very influential to john Lennon, all that. I'm not taking that from her.

Just some people have their reasons, that at sometimes valid to them and sometimes, over time those reasons lose validity and people get over it or realize they were just being cunts.

You can't expect to understand or be shown a view opposite to yours, when you are already biased. You like her, I don't find her the best thing since sliced cheese,you're obviously not gonna see where I am coming from and I can't change that.

In fact, I don't even find John Lennon or the Beatles all that invigorating either. Its just not something I like or am interested in.

If you like her, why does anyone else's opinion, which in result could oppose yours, matter? It will only cause arguments and derision, which can ultimately be avoided by simply not allowing bias.

In most cases anyway :3 Sheep

Oh, well it's not like other people's opinions of an artist actually affect me somehow. But since everyone in the world almost unanimously seem to have decided they hate her, I was just wondering if there was any valid point amidst the hatred. Perhaps she had done something cruel or disrespectful I simply wasn't aware of; perhaps there was some interview where she revealed her "true ugly self". If something like that existed, I was hoping someone could show it to me.

Also, like I mentioned, I do like her, but that doesn't mean I can't see where other people are coming from in disliking her as a person. You're kind of an exception in my not understanding actually Smile

I was just kind of bored and wanted to find ONE reason not to like this woman. Because according to most people there are a thousand.

I don't like her but also I don't hate her, cause I don't really care about her.
Reading and watching about the Beatles, and watching her figure now, everyone can say she's only famous for her relationship with John. A lot of people thinks that she ruined the Beatles, maybe this is true, maybe not, but I had the impression that she sought profit to herself, she was not too honest...

She's not an artist, she's not a good musician but she's always screaming to get some attention, and she get it only because she was the wife of.

I don't care about her but some people is annoyed by her cause she's like saying 'hey I'm important, I'm an artist, I'm a musician', this is her attitude, but 'No, you're none and nothing, nobody would care about you If you didn't marry a very famous person.'.
I mean, Ivana Trump (LOL for example) is not pretending to be one who has made her own, Yoko... And this things is annoying a lot of people, cause they consider her completely talentless or at least very overrated.

sillyboy86 Wrote:I don't like her but also I don't hate her, cause I don't really care about her.
Reading and watching about the Beatles, and watching her figure now, everyone can say she's only famous for her relationship with John. A lot of people thinks that she ruined the Beatles, maybe this is true, maybe not, but I had the impression that she sought profit to herself, she was not too honest...

She's not an artist, she's not a good musician but she's always screaming to get some attention, and she get it only because she was the wife of.

I don't care about her but some people is annoyed by her cause she's like saying 'hey I'm important, I'm an artist, I'm a musician', this is her attitude, but 'No, you're none and nothing, nobody would care about you If you didn't marry a very famous person.'.
I mean, Ivana Trump (LOL for example) is not pretending to be one who has made her own, Yoko... And this things is annoying a lot of people, cause they consider her completely talentless or at least very overrated.

Actually, Yoko was pretty famous in the art world before she even met John Lennon. She hung out with artists, philosophers and very avant-garde musicians and was acquainted with La Monte Young (minimalist composer) and Andy Warhol. She partially inspired an entire generation of experimental musicians in Germany. Her "artistry", whether you choose to define it as such is usually very abstract. Without Lennon, she would still be well-known around art circles, especially more avant-garde ones. John Lennon just gave her mainstream fame which, to be fair, has been largely negative and destructive more than anything else.

To clarify though, I don't like her ultra-experimental, bizarre "artsy" work. But she's made a lot of other stuff as well and I've never gotten the impression that she sees herself as extremely talented, important etc. She comes off as pretty confident however, maybe that's why people hate her...