Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your gut reaction to homophobia
MisterTinkles Wrote:I take the direct Dfiant1 approach in these cases......

[Image: 200.gif][Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 200.gif][Image: 200.gif]

Are you trying to say that I have mellowed in my age?

The bird is a little too subtle for me Wink

[Image: Head-explodes-big-761159.jpg]

I don't think I have any friends or people I respect in real life that are straight up bigots or homophobes that speak of their hatred regularly or anything, but I have mentioned before that quite a few of my friends joke about gay people and use gay as an insult occasionally. One of my friends (who I tend to see on Facebook more than real life lately) uses gay as an insult A LOT. It's like his go-to word and I'm finding it more annoying now than I did before (probably because of the whole me being bi-curious thing). I've seen him respond once in his defense of using "gay" so much that "people use the word "lame" all the time which could be equally as offense to people with disabled legs, but no one cares. So why is "gay" such a big deal?" I honestly didn't know how to respond to that, but I probably would've been more willing to respond if it was some random guy online instead of a friend. Plus, if my friends noticed a pattern where I respond to any kind of homophobic comment, they'd probably think I'm gay. Because, y'know, straight people aren't supposed to care about LGBT equality...... >_>

My reaction?...

probably the same that I get when some people from Peru or Bolivia use youtube to insult my country on account of a war they lost against us 130 years ago..(and it goes the other way arround too, yes and it is equally not acceptable)

(you can see more known cases in several Hungarian irredentism videos against Romania, the ever present deranged German hoping to relive Nazi days, macedonians vs greeks, bulgarians vs serbians etc)

so, what do I do? I send them a smile and an Invitation to have lunch in my home..cause I hold no hate for them

youtube commeting has become a battleground of sorts, where people just throw in hate like they don't do in many other places, so I get you, Tony, cause I too have seen it many many times..

it took but a mere joke video of an interview made to a presidential candidate here (she's not so much into accepting gays) for comments starting to pop out about how we should all be lined up and executed..

this, obviously, is disturbing and it does bother me...but I don't make any attempts to fight and rather try and sooth the situation by expressing that they can hate all they want, I won't resort to hate them back..

I keep in mind this: this lady candidate only got like 20% of votes...so that tells me these individuals are not a majority which is why I just choose to ignore the issue..

don't know if you'll get me, but that's what I do

As a teenager I was exposed to a lot of homophobia, my reaction then was fear and as a result became reclusive.

30 year later as an adult, I rarely am exposed directly to homophobia, but I do know it is still around. It doesn't bother me personally because I am confident that I am the best person I can be and I have been the best person I can be, so if I was to be exposed to homophobia persoanlly I would probably shrug it off and just let the homophobe show the world his real strips as I know society in generelly is a lot bigger than homophobia.

On the other hand if I saw someone who is the younger version of me getting bullied or discriminated against by homophobes, I have and I will fire up.

When i was called a faggot in a street by a guy who was smiling (which made it worse) my first reaction was suprise, then kind of fear and adrenalin, i dont want to fight but i will defend myself

Homophobic's tend to be loud and obnoxious, just remember that there are accepting people out there who are Much more quiet, but extremely nice once you find them, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

One says to me "faggot", I just answer "yes I am, no trouble with it! you seem to have problems with that, you should wonder about your own sexuality
Homophobes that can defend properly their point of view without being easily disturbed, I don't know one. The more people feel at ease with their sexuality, the less homophobes will attack. It's a virtuous circle.

I don't totally accept my sexuality in lots of situation (especially with family), and I'm aware at almost 23, it's kinda pathetic, but try to tend to an ideal, and theoretically kinda know how to react...

Ekwarph Wrote:I don't totally accept my sexuality in very situation (especially with family), and I'm aware at almost 23, it's kinda pathetic

26 and closeted here...

you're doing just fine, monsieur

I usually just ignore it. I have simple reasoning for that, they don't know what they're missing! I just don't let it bother me because I'm living my life to make me(and if I had a significant other) happy not to make other people happy. DILLIGAF- Do I Look Like I Give A Fuck

I don't youtube comment so ignorance is bliss.
ILR umm probz wouldn't do a lot. I have friends to do stuff for me. And why waist energy on them. If they are violent. I'd probz run and hide. Or kick them run and hide.

My TaeKwon-Do is growing. I'm sure I could kick someone hard enough to run away :3