Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chit chat with an over 50 for giggles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_fr...ontroversy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_fr...nal_issues

Congressional issues

On June 21, 2007, US Rep. Diane Watson (D-California), one of the 25 Congressional Black Caucus members who signed a letter asking the BIA to investigate the Freedmen situation, introduced H.R. 2824. This bill seeks to sever the Cherokee Nation’s federal recognition, strip the Cherokee Nation of their federal funding (estimated $300 million annually), and stop the Cherokee Nation’s gaming operations if the tribe does not honor the Treaty of 1866. H.R. 2824 was co-signed by eleven Congress members and was referred to the Committee Of Natural Resources and the Committee Of The Judiciary.

Chief Smith issued a statement saying that the introduction of this bill is "really a misguided attempt to deliberately harm the Cherokee Nation in retaliation for this fundamental principle that is shared by more than 500 other Indian tribes." The National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) expressed their disapproval of the bill.[75]

On September 26, 2008, Congress cleared the housing bill H.R. 2786. The reauthorization of the Native American Housing and Self-Determination Act included a provision stating that the Cherokee Nation can receive federal housing benefits as long as a tribal court order allowing the citizenship for Cherokee Freedmen descendants is intact or some settlement is reached in the citizenship issue and litigation involving the Cherokee Freedmen descendants.[76] The House Of Representatives version of the bill would have denied funds unless the Freedmen descendants were restored to citizenship. The Senate version of the bill had no mention of the Cherokee Nation or the Cherokee Freedmen descendants. Paul Lumley, executive director of the National American Indian Housing Council (NAIHC), said that the NAIHC worked with members of the Congressional Black Caucus to create a compromise, resulting in the addition of the Cherokee Freedmen stipulation in the bill.[77]

Yes McCain, captured, in the worst prison in Nam, paid his dues, so have I, Macvsog, did my time, been giving back to the community since, e8 sf
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

James Wrote:Yes McCain, captured, in the worst prison in Nam, paid his dues, so have I, Macvsog, did my time, been giving back to the community since, e8 sf

a few words i dont get

you were in vietnam war too?

THERE ARE BLACKS WHO ARE CHEROKEE ON ROLLS but those can prove they are really part native

hmmmm, MAC V (stands for veitnam) sog look it up

I have absolutely no idea what the topic of this thread is about (and nor do I care) but I need to get my post count up *hint* -_-

it has no topic and is not meant to have a topic

NO comment

James Wrote:NO comment

Ditto -_-

..... characters -_-

Wombat Wrote:I have absolutely no idea what the topic of this thread is about (and nor do I care) but I need to get my post count up *hint* -_-

It has no purpose it's just here to annoy and antagonise, just do as I have done and press ignore. There problem solved :-)