Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
composers/producers?
"A favourite "technique" or method I like to use is the Call and Respond method, in where one instrument/sound "replies" to the one before it, typically in octaves or half step intervals, while playing in with the dominant melody/tune, creating an almost "overlap" in which the person hears the main melody, but can subtly hear it similar to an Echo from different instruments replying."

Love this! Cheers! *makes a note*

Oh my god, Rite Of Spring was in Fantasia! Around the dinosaur part - which scared me Sad

This was so epic, but scared the hell outta me:

Adrift Wrote:...Oh my god, Rite Of Spring was in Fantasia! Around the dinosaur part - which scared me Sad
I thought I was the dinosaur. I never go anywhere without a music manuscript notebook.

A method/approach I am using lately involves subtraction, and less addition. In other words - I used to listen to a song I was working on and think "Right, what new sounds/instruments can I add to make sure it does not get boring?" - and I would end up filling my songs up and overloading them. Now I work with the philosophy "less is more" - if I think something needs changing, I work with what I have already got, or I take something away. Which ultimately leads to more breaks/silences which are equally as, if not more interesting than just adding more and more and more instruments. Keeps the listener interested.

Adrift Wrote:A method/approach I am using lately involves subtraction, and less addition. In other words - I used to listen to a song I was working on and think "Right, what new sounds/instruments can I add to make sure it does not get boring?" - and I would end up filling my songs up and overloading them. Now I work with the philosophy "less is more" - if I think something needs changing, I work with what I have already got, or I take something away. Which ultimately leads to more breaks/silences which are equally as, if not more interesting than just adding more and more and more instruments. Keeps the listener interested.

I find the minimalist approach nice as well, like I find songs with too too many sounds and instruments, aside from Orchestral pieces obviously, to be congested.

For instance,While I do mainly listen to Reggae/Soca, if I'm going for a nice simple sound, not too heavy, but not some weak shit either, I'd go for a band like OneRepublic.

Especially their song Stop and Stare;

And their acoustic Sessions;

It's relatively calm and not too many instruments I find.

I've composed 2 Songs for GCSE Music Theory and Composition in highschool, similar to Stop and Stare, and came 2nd place in my class competition thingie, using;

Timpani
Acoustic Guitar
Myself on Viola
and Piano.

we never recorded it, but I called it Clandestine LOL. I was in my "deep hippy" phase, now I'm just in my "light hippy" phase Wink

Haha deep/light hippy. Like it.
Timpani is a gorgeous sound. Dramatic, yet, in a minimalist context, I imagine is subtley powerful. Contrasts!!

This song is divine.

Adrift Wrote:Haha deep/light hippy. Like it.
Timpani is a gorgeous sound. Dramatic, yet, in a minimalist context, I imagine is subtley powerful. Contrasts!!

This song is divine.

gurl, where did you take me with this song? lol

And a better question is, do I wanna come back? >,>

I wonder, what type of genres or styles do you like? It seems mostly like ambiance/ trance type of music.

It helps to compose something you like or even play yourself.

Ask Kirsty Hawkshaw - the composer of that song. She takes me places that just...........wow.
Here's another

My favourite kind of music? I am extremely eclectic!

I have always wanted to make my own remix music and mashup music.

But those computer programs are expensive.

Somebody told me about a free computer mix program, but it did not come with any instructions, and I could not find any online for it, so I just deleted it.

If this stuff was around when I was growing up, Im sure I would have went into music.

I never read the instructions for mine. I self-taught.