Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
have you ever recieved abuse just bacause your gay?
weeeell, I've not had anything (physically) done to me, mostly just getting gruff through names and such... However, I'm not sure if any of you have heard of the Leremy Project?

In Leremy, Wyoming (ironically, I was born there..) there was a kid who was heading to a gay bar in Denver, went out with a few guys, and the next day was found, beaten almost to death, and strung up with barbed wire to a fence post, and left to die. It's a really horrowing story, and if you want to hear the whole thing, look up "Matthew Sheppard" (I think) and his story's bound to be somewhere on the net. He ended up dieing a short time later. Happened I think.... 199-.... 1995 I think.

names before .. and bottles thrown at me couple times .. but nothing serious .. but then I like to think that if it came down to it .. I could beat the crap out of anyone that got serious

but I carry no weapons nor condone carrying such, so if they had a weapon .. I'd be done with ...

I think times will continue to become more and more violent. There is a loss of old morals... people are no longer disciplining the young and the spoiled rotten are being glorified. I think those that are also prone to attacking others are the less educated.

I don't remember where I read it....Perhaps Frank Herbert?

"The ignorant man will always revert to violence out of a lack of no better option available to him."

It has stuck with me all these years. I think you're right futureRD. Every day I notice how people become more distanced from one another and more selfish and self absorbed. Hold a door for someone behind you? Fat chance. Sorry when the bump into you? More likely to yell AT you.

Plus, (way off topic I guess) all our technological advances seperate us more from each other. Cell phones, iPods, pc's, gaming devices... all meant to be used without/ bare minimum of contact with other people. Stand in line anywhere and see how many people are on their cell phones and can barely spend the few seconds actually talking to the person they are ordering from, or how little the it phases them that they are holding up others. Me, me , me.

A desensitizing of each individual from everyone else. So the more distance we have/create, the less value others hold in our lives and worth. A natural tendency for violence and this separation are a dangerous, volatile mix. Hit first and have no feelings at all of what damage you have inflicted.

You are correct. We used to be taught respect for others, often even to our own disadvantage. Better to err on the side of polite social discourse. Not any more.

Scary.

Ive never really gotten any physical abuse but Ive had the name calling as you probably had.
Sometimes I think about making fun of them, like if its a straight guy making fun of you, I sometimes want to reply with "Eww you like the tits, and its just nasty"(no offense to lesbians on the board).

But yeah I sometimes drift off to that little place of mine picturing myself saying something like that.

What I've always found weird is verbal abuse...

Someone calling me a queer or faggot. While the intention is maybe insulting, it's like, well, "duh, call me something I don't know!"

Want to insult me call me straight maybe. I guess straight guys get upset being called a homo, but ME? I AM a big homo. Spot on einstein!

"What are you, some kind of fag?" "Yep, the best kind!"

Rolleyes The whole verbal abuse is quite like sad and pathetic but ya know.. Whatever floats boats! Rolleyes
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Now this is a bit of a weird thing with me. After 50 years gayness [most of 'em in the closet] I can truly say that no-one has ever called me so much as a pouffe except once during an argument when my brother called me a "dirty queer"

Even during my railway service when most of the guys knew what I was I was accepted. Family too knew but closed their eyes. In fact I have been really lucky and have even had some really straight and married workmates between the sheets. Surprising how many so-called straight guys wanna play when curious

My brother seems to think its funny to pretend to be homophobic in that "post modern-ironic way" which he thinks is soo amusing. I've told him today i've had enough of his bull and he should stop it.

He told me he can't because he doesn't see it as homophobia, so I'm now going to have to point out to him each and every thing I find offensive as he says it in the hope he'll stop.

My worry is someone will overhear him and punch him one day; but its hard to say but he'd deserve it. Its weird.

futureRD Wrote:I think times will continue to become more and more violent. There is a loss of old morals... people are no longer disciplining the young and the spoiled rotten are being glorified. I think those that are also prone to attacking others are the less educated.
I think you're off the mark .. but then those of you out in the heartland see things I don't see .. like my friend out there in Denver

the cities .. BIG cities are becoming less violent .. not just towards gays .. towards anyone ... it's the smaller communities that are becoming violent

you have to do something about it!

as far as the "loss of old morals" .. we ARE the loss of old morals .. or so they think