Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
horrific shooting where i live
Just to be totally clear my condolences to every one involved. I do not condone violence and disapprove of the gun laws in the US. Serious stuff, an infant was shot.

12 dead and about 50+ injured. Lone gun man attacked Bat Man at a local movie theater movie premier. Actually the theater is kinda in the hood, an un safe suburban area. Shooting sounds in the movie actually hid the shooting from the gum man in real life in the theater. Happened about 12:30 midnight here. They arrested a suspect and his mother is flying in to be with him.

link to more gruesome news

so my actual question
what percentage of the general population, given the right situation could morally do this.

I mean pull back the trigger for each victim. horror.

This is a really sad story! My condolences to the victims' families!

Where is Batman when you need him? Sad

so sad. I heard about this on the news today...

Prayersto victims and family.

Suspects' apartment is bobby trapped and has explosives.

he was a medical student somehow (24years old)
same number dead as in the Colorado Columbine High School shootings back in the 90's here

he is a white boy, neuroscience student at a local college (DU)
we are our worst enemy.

[Image: 6a00d8341c630a53ef016768a107e1970b-pi]

I just saw a movie less than a week ago when a preview showed gangsters shooting up people in a cinema and my first thought was, "Don't give people ideas!" One small blessing is the vast majority of mass murderers have no imagination, but they know how to pick up an idea and run with it (many are actually copycats of another, and given the toll on this one I'm expecting more cinema shootings in the future). My thought was giving the darkness and that movies tend to have a lot of gunfire on screen in them that it could be confusing as hell if someone shot one up (especially as in most cases people know to run or hide when they hear a gun, but that might not happen at the cinema). So unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised.

What I'm wondering about is how did he enter the emergency exit? At least when I snuck into R-rated movies that way as a kid someone else had to open it up from the inside to let us in.

But how could he do it? Perhaps it's a type of sociopathy. Maybe it's clinical mental illness (that is, he failed to process the reality of what he was doing), or maybe he just really wanted his 15 minutes of infamy.

One thing you have to understand about Americans: generally speaking, we love our violence. To us, might makes right. If you don't believe me show "contempt of cop" here in America and see where that gets you, and see how many back the cops torturing and/or killing you. Politicians actually get ahead by people killed (from military strikes to executions of people on death row). Politicians cheered when Ann Coulter said liberals needed to be executed or they'd turn out to be outright traitors. Obama deploys special forces against near everyone, from Somali pirates to Osama, to drones to about everywhere else (which leave a lot more innocent dead than guilty), and even has Americans put on secret kill lists without oversight or due process and yet conservatives say he's TOO SOFT! Scared

And that attitude trickles down so you can usually tell an American on an internet debate by their casually making death threats against those who disagree with them (save when someone "blasphemes Islam" in which case death threats can come from people in other countries). Americans tend to be the loudest supporters of using violence to control people (even children, and I'm not talking a mere reasonable spanking). And the bulk of our education budget seems to be diverted to athletics and jocks given special rights in school because Americans take seriously the ability to dominate another school (via winning a game) through physical aggression (whereas America's poor lack of mental development barely seems to register to our country). Heck, even the idea of shutting down the Penn State athletics until they could get what happened (and how many knew of the little boys being molested) sorted out had people howling in righteous indignation.

So when someone decides to carry out a little violence on his own initiative it just doesn't really surprise me. I'd say the word that describes how it can be done as "karma." (Keeping in mind that karma is a blind machine, not some force for justice against evil doers overseen by an omniscient and omnipotent divine force.) Violence is just too worshiped in this nation, and like a disease it infects and spread. When people worship it (especially at the state level) it's bound to inspire others to adopt those same methods.

My dad just told me about that. I don't think I'll be entering any movie theaters until they are guarded with armed security~ You can say I'm paranoid.

Considering a person walks in a place and shoots many people only occasionally in a nation of over 300 million people, I would have to say that the percentage of people who are capable of doing that is pretty darn low.

This is not a 'right situation' type thing. This is a guy who went around the bend, most likely has been around the bend for a long time and finally acted on thoughts he has had for a long period of time.

This is a mental illness, not something that a 'normal' or healthy individual would seriously consider doing. MAYBE joke about shooting up a place, but not actually think about it seriously nor do it.

Gun control laws would not have kept this from happening. This guy was armed to the teeth, in fully body armor and had a gas mask. He had planned this out for a long time and covered every single base. This is the sort of person who, in a society where guns are controlled and regulated or just illegal, would have found a way to get firearms off the black market along with the rest of his gear.

This isn't a person like me who has a few firearms for hunting and target practice. I have a rifle and a shotgun - not a semi-automatic arsenal with ammo meant to take out a tank.

This guy went off his rocker, most likely been off for a very, very long time and finally got his plans in order and set a date and an event. It is a mind set which isn't too terribly common. It only seems common because we have such a high population and a shooting like this on average once per year, however one person out of three hundred million plus a year is a very, very low number.

Spades Wrote:This is a really sad story! My condolences to the victims' families!

Where is Batman when you need him? Sad

Honestly, Spades, I'd rather count on a government that is ready to tackle this issue rigorously and fiercely, BY forbidding such weaponry to be so widely pervasive, even if the battle seems now lost, than any fictitious character like Batman.

American society as a whole, with its culture, keeps taking the toll of its extravagant arms laws... and the fact that far too many weapons are available. But we know that it's also big business that is keeping Americans so unsafe on their own territory.

This being said, and given the kind of non descript person this student seemed to be, I'm not sure that he wouldn't have been allowed perfectly legally to obtain a gun, given that he had no previous record, right? So it's only by being very strict and banning and getting rid of the weapons (maybe not making them?) that this problem will be eventually solved.

And by the way, my heartfelt condolences too, to a nation that is bleeding and mourning.