Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how many of you hate Chinese people?
Ok lets get serious here people and adress the core topic:

[MENTION=19896]Keith[/MENTION] is freaking cute!
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

[MENTION=23097]Insertnamehere[/MENTION] I totally agree.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

MikeW Wrote:The word "hate" in English is a very strong word. People sometimes use it diminutively, as in "I hate having to diet," or "I hate my job," but that isn't accurate. It's an exaggeration. What they're really saying is they "dislike" something... maybe even "dislike something a lot". But to "hate" someone ... or some group of people ... means you dislike them with such an intensity that you may very well wish them violent harm or death.

So... is this really what you're asking us?

Even if I did "hate" Chinese people (which I don't), admitting it would be the same as saying, "Yeah, I'm a bigoted, racist asshole who wishes all Chinese would eat shit and die, so what?"

I guess what I'm getting at here is if you want to know whether or not people have prejudices against Chinese people or Asian people or w/e... why not ask THAT question? Because then I can say, yeah, I have some issues... some prejudices. It's not that I'm happy about it or proud of it or even believe I'm "right" to have them... what I'm acknowledging is that PREJUDICE is apart of our acculturation. I think its apart of pretty much everyone's acculturation. The way we're brought up to think and feel about ourselves and other people and "differences" in culture and style and mannerism and so on.

Yeah, I have prejudices that show up in me regarding different ethnic groups. This doesn't prevent me from seeing what these are... that they are societal attitudes that have been programmed into me and do NOT have to be the way I actually think about or feel about a real, live person.

Unfortunately, not everyone deals with their prejudice this way. Some don't even know they ARE prejudiced. Or, worse (perhaps), they know they are but don't give a shit because they believe their prejudices are based on legitimate feelings and objective observations.

I believe that there was a time, during the American expansion across North America, when ethnocentricity devolved amongst members of some social classes, particularly those who feared that their jobs would be taken by Asian emigrants.

For the most part, I believe that those xenophobic segments of our society had dwindled to nearly the point of extinction, HOWEVER, there does seem to be a possible resurgence of these isolationist ideas as our current senior class increased dramatically with the Baby-Boomer generation now reaching retirement age. Should the media continue it's evolution into the propaganda-machines of our political parties, I expect to see animus against "foreigners".

Having said all of that, the average American cannot tell the difference between a person from China and a person from Jacarta....

~Beaux

axle2152 Wrote:When I was young my parents lived through the civil rights era. They seldom had anything good to say about black people and told us the stories about the riots. My mom was beat up by black students without cause. So they didn't preach tolerance and equality.

I think it is funny that I'm being called racist because I feel nervous around some black people. I've never been mean or unfair to anyone for the color of their skin. I can't explain why, just as I can't explain why I get nervous giving a presentation in front of 500 people.

I understand where you are coming from, rather more than I would like (tbh). My parents are very much reflections of the 1950s and the associated mentality that emerged from the intergration of the public school system and the normalization of interracial marriage. The town we moved to when we returned to the U.S., still had separate waiting rooms for 'Whites' and 'Coloreds' up until 1985. My school had separate playgronds and water fountains up until I was 14 (again, 1985). My parents took me to a KKK rally to see David Duke when he ran for Govener of Louisiana. I often heard people say things like 'The Blacks are taking over!' during my formative years. The 'N-Word' was common parlance in my home town, and the section of town where the black families lived (and for the most part STILL live) was called the "N###r Quarter.

I didn't think I was racist either, but I was. I just didn't really understand what racism was. That feeling you describe earlier, about being uncomfortable..? Yea, that is the same "feeling" that these police officers in the news get, when they shoot unarmed black men (many of them actually children). When the aproch these young men, they get that same feeling of inexplicable fear, and it doesn't take much to a turn feeling like fear into terror...then into rage.
It is nothing to be proud of, but neither is it anything to be ashamed of ~IF~ you overcome it! Wink

~Beaux

[MENTION=13210]Beaux[/MENTION] I think you did a better job extracting what I was trying to say. I think everyone deserves all the opportunities that someone can get in this country, or anywhere else for that matter.

But I did misspeak on one thing, I said that I didn't find black people attractive...For the most part that's accurate, but there have been a few that I though were pretty damn fine. I worked with the guy way way back and actually forgot about him, but he was cute as can be and was a nice guy and I think he had a lot going on for him, think he was going off to college or something along those lines. Most of the black people that I actually got to know where really good decent people.

The media is simply terrible. I really hate watching what they call the news. They try to keep you upset and in fear to keep you watching and to vote and act on what the corporations want (which buy the politicians). I'm sure that's is a gross generalization, but is my general opinion of the media and I think it doesn't stop with American broadcasters either. I think they're all guilty of it.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

AlfredMamza Wrote:Yeah, hate is a strong word. I'm guessing the person you came across in Omegle was probably not into Asian and looking for something in sexual nature, which you can tell the moment they ask ASL.

I do have some beef with Malaysian Chinese tho, not Chinese from other parts of the world. My beef is due to racial segregation here, which is rooted from early education, we have public schools for them separately which I think is ridiculous, thus the reason why even current generation of Chinese and Indian here still can't speak the national language here fluently, something I don't see in the US or anywhere else for that matter. Some don't even speak the language cause they don't have to, they've created an exclusive environment to enable that. I know it's not their fault, it's deeply rooted from the age of British colonization. It's just disheartening to see fellow Malaysians lacking their national identity.

I have to strongly disagree on that.

I think if we want to play the blame game, blame the education system and how our country works. In our country, we have many types of schools; the national school (multicultural), the Chinese school, the Indian school and don't forget, we have the religion school (for Islam practice). All these lead to racial segregation.

First of all, I'm a Malay.

All of my close friends are Malaysian Chinese. My best friend is an Indian guy. Few of my Chinese and Indian friends can speak fluently in our national language. Far better than me.

All of my friends whether Malay, Chinese, Indian and foreigners know that I have a big issue with Bumiputera privileges. If you're born as a Malay, you are granted Bumiputera (literally translates to Prince of the Earth) privileges, which gives you benefits that no other ethnicities will get.

Bumiputera is entitled to priority of admission into local university in quota basis, exclusiveness of some national investment funds where higher returns assured, exclusiveness of government funding on business, houses and more.

Malaysia as a country comprises of three main races; Malay, Chinese and Indian and then follows with smaller races. We are not based on one race. So why should the Malays get the extra bling when we are told that all Malaysians are equal and we are 'One' (nation)?

Personally, only 'Orang Asli' deserve the Bumiputera privileges. The Orang Asli are the indigenous minority people of Peninsular Malaysia. The name is a Malay term which transliterates as 'original/aboriginal people' or 'first people.'

I used to work in a Melbourne real estate company for 5 years where I was the only non Chinese. The rest of my colleagues in Malaysia were Malaysian Chinese. They didn't treat me differently. They treated me just like theirs. I've never seen them based on their race, religion or skin color. They were like my own family.

I was approached many times by Malay visitors to our office. They were baffled on how I was able to cope working in a company comprises of Chinese people. I simply said, "It depends on your mindset. If the first thing that comes to your mind is about race then race is what matters to you. I see them as my trusted friends and family members."

So far I've never heard my non Malay friends speak badly about Malays in front of me. But Malays; disappointingly have. I was shocked when I heard a Malay friend called my Chinese friend a Chinese Pig. WTF. I instantly dumped my Malay friend. I seriously don't have time for a racist.

When I fell off into depression and jobless last year, it was my Chinese and Indian friends who backed me up. One of my Chinese friends who owns a network server company provided me with a job and finance. He treats me like his own younger brother.

My family particularly my parents are aware of my closeness to Chinese and Indian people. They know all of my Chinese and Indian close friends. My parents know that they can rely on my Chinese and Indian friends to protect and take care of me all the time.

I still keep in touch with Chinese colleagues from the real estate company. We communicate every day and visit each other as often as possible. We may no longer be colleagues but we are still family. They are my second family.

Lack of fluency in national language doesn't make a Malaysian less Malaysian. It's where you put your heart that determines how Malaysian you are.

yea, like you guys said, Hate is a strong word, sorry about that. I think its because i heard one american guys once said in a chatting room, "I hate Chinese, they take our jobs away and invade our market." sth like that. I can not really remember the exact words.
also i think many of you might think that the only reason we wanna be friends with foreigners is that we wanna learn English. I saw a news, a foreigner was crying in a metro and talking to his girl, "you only wanted to learn English from me, you do not love me." That could be pretty bad.
I have a Q. does that mean i am a racist if i say white guys are more charming or more attractive to me than yellow guys? I do not know why, its just like i prefer huskies than chihuahua. Chihuahua is not cute to me. no offense guys. well, yellow guys are still charming. Or maybe i have been seeing too much whiteguys pics recently. but chihuahua, oh no. even if its a male one, its not cute to me. Smile

Alto Wrote:What's the difference?

Oh...little things....like culture, language, ethnic makeup, political affilication, industrial development, religous affiliation....barley noticeable really....
~Beaux

[MENTION=19896]Keith[/MENTION] Unfortunately we in America have our sheep population who have very shallow views. There are many reasons why industry is leaving the USA (actually has been in the last 50 years). I understand the resentment because my parent's generation seen the USA at its height in the 50's and 60's. However, that being said it is no fault of the Chinese people. I don't have any "butt hurt" feelings that China has the competitive advantage and why should I? Why should Americans expect to make $20 and hour to do something than someone else is happy to do it for $5? Doesn't mean I think the other person deserves $5...personally I think it is a cheap shot by businesses to exploit the labor forces of other countries that do not have fair labor laws. But just my two cents, and my opinion may change when I learn more on that subject. I can't speak for other Americians but unfortunately a lot of people don't share the same views.
Check out my stuff!

Insertnamehere Wrote:Ok lets get serious here people and adress the core topic:

[MENTION=19896]Keith[/MENTION] is freaking cute!

keith has to muscle up, imo.