Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
im canadian, NOT AMERICAN
Some time ago i was in a shop and these two women walked in speaking really loud american accents, the gay at the counter said "oh cool your american, i love americans" which i thought was a really dumb thing to say anyway (you can be american, french, italian, whatever, you cant love an entire people, let alone a person you,ve only known for 5 seconds, i understand the sentiment and its good and quite exciting to meet people from other cultures but that "ooh i love you guys" thing i find quite irksome.

Anyway to my suprise the two ladies werent pleased either, they replied quite angrily they were canadian!

At this point THEY annoyed me too.

any person ive ever spoke too has agreed, to the british ear at least, you guys sound the same, i mean would they have had a go at me if id called them american.

Since then when ive met two americans i (ruth & monty) i have to ask where there from? Never "are you american"

Yeah, thats it

I'm Canadian, and I probably would have been annoyed and embarrassed by these ladies as well.

Well, Canadians certainly don't sound like people from BOston.

Thats good, most Americans/Canadians I've met or heard were really friendly, I was really surprised how they behaved, although the guy in the shop was an idiot too, just looked an idiot, said an idiotic thing and i kinda enjoyed how his face dropped when they said that to him, even if I didn't agree.

What I'd like to know is what are the differences between your speech. I know new York is different to the south an all but what about America & Canada as a whole?

Do Canadians say A after everything a ?

I hope I'm not going to upset Deaner by saying that I've only been to Canada once and didn't like it much. That was Montreal though, not Toronto. I found the people a bit sour and miserable, and the place a bit run-down. That was a few years ago.

On the positive side, one of the great friends of the family was a Canadian who came here to fight the Germans and married an English girl, and a great guy he was.

technically , canada is part of the north american continent and so canadians are actually american ...

You can't be angry about that...

Maybe they overreacted (which I assume was the part that bothered you) but they had every right to be upset.

It's like someone over here went there and you just picked whatever south american nationality that comes to mind just cause we all speak Spanish...you will find some people get easily offended...

The problem was, beyond the girls questionable behaviour, the fact that the guy just assumed they were Americans...that's not something you should ever do.

For example to me, every Arab speaking country sounds about the same, but if I call Iraqi an Algerian I bet I won't get out of that unharmed.

Well yes i see what your saying but i suspect the majority of just-English speaking Brit would be able to differentiate from those laungages so it be more a case of just asking where your from.

I know that some places the british can be confused for aussies and vise versa and the celts and english even, though i wouldnt react in such a way, though maybe he desrved it for saying it in such a bras manner.

Maybe they,d been getting it all day and that was the final straw lol

True...

well I bet he was trying to be nice but that backfired badly...again , he made a mistake by assuming....

oh well...some poeple don't mind, others get very offended and react not in the best way...

P.S: I find it a bit hard to confuse a Brit for an Aussie (at least in the Western World)...but hey, different people have different ears I guess...