Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
im canadian, NOT AMERICAN
Genersis Wrote:Isn't Canada located in North America?
Doesn't that make them American?:confused:

lol that's what i said

and yes it does Smile

Yeah but is Canada still, I doubt Canadians like to be called American

As Megumidesu quite correctly pointed out, Canadians are from the continent of America.

For that matter, an Argentine could be considered to be an American.

According to my quick research, anyone from Cape Columbia, Ellesmere Island, Nunavut (83°6′41″N 69°57′30″W) to either: Águila Islet, Diego Ramirez Islands, Chile (56°32′16″S 68°43′10″W), or, if the South Sandwich Islands are included as part of South America: Cook Island, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (59°29′20″S 27°8′40″W).

I am, of course, speaking purely geographically rather than in terms of nationality. It seems unlikely to me that a resident of South Georga on the Falkland Islands would regard him or herself as American - certainly not given the bun fight in that region in 1982. I understand Falkland Islanders regard themselves fiercely as British. So would I, if I got their tax breaks! lol.

To my mind, when someone describes himself as American, I think of the U.S.A.

Is an Alaskan also an American or is he an Asian?

We have a similar issue here in the UK. The term U.K. United Kingdom, is taken to mean England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Someone living in Scotland may be considered British but not English. Someone from the Republic of Ireland (R.O.I. or Eiren) is as Irish as someone from Northern Ireland which is part of the U.K. but only someone from Northern Ireland's six counties is British. Someone from England does not come from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Confusing or what!?