Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
im canadian, NOT AMERICAN
I actually don't think their accents are that similar.

There are so many Canadians in Auckland, my mother's friend married a Canadian, and I actually think they have a very distinct accent.

I can't quite describe it properly, but it kind of has the same feeling as a lilting muted trumpet. It's very soft and pleasant, whereas accents further south in the US tend to be sharper and more flamboyant.

I dunno, that's just what I feel.

I'm sure nobody can tell the difference between a New Zealand Accent and an Australian one either.

lilting muted trumpet is fine, i just want one them, not a canadian! oh well maybe if one came along.

Yes australia & n,z certainly similiar and people do confuse em but i notice the difference in them more so.

So, your Canadian, EH?

Ive only met a couple of Canadians in my life, and they never said "EH" after a sentence.
Only on TV. Im sure some real Canadians do, but I dont think its prevalent like everybody thinks it is.

Michael J Fox is Canadian, and everybody thinks he is American.

And most of the world speaks English now, so unless you have an accent from being raised with a different language, then its hard to tell where you are from.

My first day in California, my friend took me to a store and when we were checking out I said something to my friend, and the cashier perks up and says to me "So, youre from Texas"?!

To me, and to other Texans, I dont have a Texas accent. But apparently to others I do.

Why would you even ask such a dumbassed question? Youre not getting a prize for it. The world isnt going to start revolving around you. The Queen of England isnt going to call you up for a chat. Nobody is going to make a song from this. So WHY ask such an idiotic question if there is no POINT to it?

The only thing that can come of it is you look like a moron.

megumidesu Wrote:technically , canada is part of the north american continent and so canadians are actually american ...

Totally agree there Meg. And Technically Mexican are American, so are Colombian, Chilian, Peruvian, Venezuelans, Porto Rican, Barbados Islanders, Argentinian, Brazilian, West Indians, Cuban (yeah they're american too LOL), They are called the United States of America, so I vote we remove their label of Americans and call them all United Statians LOL. You know I am not a big fan of the american culture... but it doesn't change that they are our direct neighbor from the south and they do deserve respect... there are hicks, idiots, racist, bigots, jerks, dumb fucking ass wipes in Canada too. No we do not say Eh at the end of every sentences... anyway let me introduce you to Joe from Canada Smile hey says it better.

Save a tree... EAT BEAVER! -
AND I AM CANADIAN

I hope i am never referred to as american, i dont think i will be with a slightly french accent lol. its not anything against america, just that I have my canadian pride!

Well, I lived closed to the Canadian/American border so I personally can't tell any difference between the two but from what I heard is that the more you go north and the more you go south, the accent between the two would become more obvious...though I may be wrong.

Ugh. I can't stand....CAN'T STAND, when Tourists come here saying "Ay Mon" and all that, as they think we are bladdey well Jamaicans >.> In fact, this applies to the majority of the world, they hear Caribbean or Island and they immediately go for Jamaican.

It's offensive and if you were to say it here, you might get hit x.x or snuffed...

Also, people confuse us for Brits and that's equally if not more offensive. Like no offense you gurls, but that's just not who we are and although we have lived under you lots thumb for this long, we actually do not like it and prefer to be independent from the UK.
Our culture is already more Caribbean than English now and is steadly growing every day.

And further still! People want to also confuse us for Americans and this is less so offensive than the Brits but more so than being confused for Jamaicans. The only reason we sound somewhat similar is because we are close to you and have access to your T.V stations, but other than that, we are so much different from you lot, it's a crying shame.

We are a very very proud people, I've said this before and so when people call us something else, we get very easily offended...

I am often asked if I am Trinidadian, because my particular inflections and speech resemble the "sing song" nature of Trini speech. Not to mention my light skin colour.

I'm like " excuse me, lef me nah!" Msn-slapping

Ugh, it's so annoying lol, like I get people don't know where to place us, since we're sorta caught in the middle, but being a Bermudian, I expect people to just know and not ask "Are you a Bermudian?"

... Msn-slapping

lol.

We take it very seriously down here...

and the only people we sound similar with, are the Turks and Caicos islanders, because we "ruled" them at one point, although they have since formalized a Creole/Patois and we have a Vernacular/ Creolish speech.

Not to mention Phonetics and all that blah.

Bermudians love hearing each other talk, but hate it when someone outside of our country tries to xD

simply because they can't do it right.

So yes, If I were the ladies present, I would've blew my entire stack... Bermy Pride is nearly more potent than Male Pride lol

[Image: 1bermuda_flag_stock.jpg]
[Image: View_from_top_of_Gibbs_Lighthouse_Bermuda.jpg]
[Image: Blog5.4_Image2.jpg]

Sylph Wrote:Bermudians love hearing each other talk, but hate it when someone outside of our country tries to xD

simply because they can't do it right.

I hate it when people try to speak my slang too. The rule is kinda easy to convert formal words to our slang,but it doesn't always apply,and sometimes they just try too hard,LOL.

Anyway,in Malaysia,there are 4 states speaking the same slang,called as Northern Slang (in direct English translation). I think my state is the one people always assume the origin of some one if he's heard to use the slang. But sometimes people mistaken me from another state,which I didn't find that offensive but a bit unpleasant. Rolleyes

When ever I met germans I tell them I love them o.o
I just cant get over their sexiness!

Isn't Canada located in North America?
Doesn't that make them American?:confused: