Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
omega 3 fish oil and mild depression?
hi guys,

i'm not a regular supplement taker but recently i've decided to try fish oil out. i read about its benefits and how it can alleviate mild depression symptoms. has anyone of you heard about fish oil and mild depression? if you're taking it, how is it helping?

thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks! Smile

hughchris Wrote:hi guys,

i'm not a regular supplement taker but recently i've decided to try fish oil out. i read about its benefits and how it can alleviate mild depression symptoms. has anyone of you heard about fish oil and mild depression? if you're taking it, how is it helping?

thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks! Smile

Hi and Welcome :-)

I don´t think that omega 3 is strong enough to alleviate depressions ... but in combination with basil ( omicum basilikum ) or - I mean in english it is called st. johns herb - ( hypericum perforatum ) it can help.
But don´t forget to ask your doctor....hypericum perforatum can cause allergies or paradoxical reactions and should never be used in the sunlight because it is reinforced by reactions with the skin, the possibility of severe sunburns

fenris Wrote:Hi and Welcome :-)

I don´t think that omega 3 is strong enough to alleviate depressions ... but in combination with basil ( omicum basilikum ) or - I mean in english it is called st. johns herb - ( hypericum perforatum ) it can help.
But don´t forget to ask your doctor....hypericum perforatum can cause allergies or paradoxical reactions and should never be used in the sunlight because it is reinforced by reactions with the skin, the possibility of severe sunburns

is that what they also call st. john's wort? my sister who lives in new zealand recommended omega 3 fish oils. she sent some maxalife caps my way and i've doing some reading and asking around if it is effective. and yes, i should consult my doctor and i haven't gone in AGES.

thanks for the warm welcome! Confusedmile:WinkAstrosmiley2

hughchris Wrote:is that what they also call st. john's wort? my sister who lives in new zealand recommended omega 3 fish oils. she sent some maxalife caps my way and i've doing some reading and asking around if it is effective. and yes, i should consult my doctor and i haven't gone in AGES.

thanks for the warm welcome! Confusedmile:WinkAstrosmiley2

Yes... St. Johns Wort is right .. I found it under this name on wikipedia.
Hope it works :-)

Hello, hughchris and welcome. This will sound patronising although not meant that way, but congratulations on being willing to tackle the depression yourself. Whatever you do I hope you will beat it. Depression can be very debilitating. Don't forget to involve the doctor if you think you need extra support though. Hopefully your doctor would be willing to work with you and not just sell you drugs.

Good luck.

Fish oil can alleviate mild depression because it balances the ratio of omega 3:6 in the body, which in our diets is skewed to a high proportion of omega 6 as opposed to omega 3. Omega 3 decreases inflammation which is associated with an increase in subjective well-being. Aim for 3 grams of omega 3, preferably from cod liver oil, which contains vitamin D, as vitamin D is also linked to alleviating depression in those with a low intake of this vitamin.

All the best

Quote:Initial analyses failed to clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of Omega-3 for all patients taking part in the study. Other analyses, however, revealed that Omega-3 improved depression symptoms in patients diagnosed with depression unaccompanied by an anxiety disorder. Efficacy for these patients was comparable to that generally observed with conventional antidepressant treatment.

From October 2005 to January 2009, 432 male and female participants with major unipolar depression were recruited to take part in this randomized, double-blind study (neither patients nor researchers knew which capsules patients received). For eight weeks, half of the participants took three capsules per day of OM3 Emotional Balance, a fish oil supplement containing high concentrations of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). The other half took three identical capsules of a placebo consisting of sunflower oil, flavoured with a small quantity of fish oil. In contrast with typical clinical studies designed to assess the effectiveness of antidepressants, this study included a high proportion of patients with complex and difficult-to-treat conditions, including patients resistant to conventional antidepressant treatments and patients also suffering from an anxiety disorder. The aim was to assess the value of Omega-3 supplementation in a group of individuals more like those treated in outpatient clinics.

Further, several preliminary clinical studies based on small numbers of patients have suggested that Omega-3 supplements with high concentrations of EPA can help to reduce symptoms of depression among patients who fail to respond to an initial antidepressant treatment. These studies have not, however, convinced the entire scientific community. A broader study was needed to acquire further knowledge about the properties and efficacy of high-quality Omega-3 supplements among patients suffering from major depression.

Exercising is also an effective way of dealing with the symptoms of depression and is immediate. There are other simple ways you can make yourself feel better: Avoid alcohol and drugs, eat correctly and sleep correctly (getting help from the doctor if necessary)

Looks Like St John's wort is no good as well,

Quote:The largest clinical trial performed to date on the popular herbal supplement St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) has found it to be no more effective than placebo for the treatment of a moderately severe form of major depression, according to researchers at Duke University Medical Center. Major depression, also called major depressive disorder, is one of the most common forms of depression.

From Science Daily reviewing a study conducted by Duke University.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...075818.htm

yes i have tried fish oil before its very good but yes i have heard that it can allieviate depression which i wasn't so sure of that but if you exercise while taking those it would probably help too.

good luck

the docter give me that new one cardiginwerer .dose it not work