Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
self checkouts. (rant)
Many Supermarkets in the UK have an anti-theft device fitted to their trollies to prevent them being taken away.

The introduction of a hi-tech preventative measure aims to reduce the problem by installing an electronic security system which aims to prevent people from taking the trolleys off site.

The system works on a radio signal transmitted from within the store via a sunken wire which surrounds the car park. The end of the barrier is marked with signs or a red line or whatever on the ground.

All trolleys are fitted with a device within the wheels and if trolleys are pushed over the wire, a brake comes on and the trolley can no longer be easily pushed.

The brake is de-activated and the trolley can be wheeled once it is pushed back inside the car park boundary.

However, at my local Tescos store this appears not to be the case... I've tested their system and they lie!

Anyway, everyone knows shopping trolleys come alive at night and that's how they get to the seemingly impossible places we also know they ought not to.

I found one last week down the park, there was a Ray of light when i noticed the pound still in it, no it was some pound shaped keyring that had been wedged in. True story.

I think electrocution would work better than breaks. I just carry it, but then I spose I'd have an immobile trolley for life, maybe not.

MisterTinkles Wrote:I dont know of any full service gas stations in the USA anymore. Everything is pretty much self serve for fuel nowadays.

I wish they would have more self serve registers in stores, but a lot of places that had self serve checkouts have taken them down. I asked one place why they took them out, and I was told that those self checkout stands are very expensive to maintain, and they breakdown a LOT. It is cheaper to pay a cashier to stand behind a register than it is to service these self serve checkouts.

There's a lot of full service stations in New York and New Jersey. In NJ I think it's illegal to pump your own gas, actually. I've never seen one in CT, though

Vigilias Wrote:I occasionally like to have fun with the humans at the cash register.

After scanning all my stuff they will say "Would you like a bag with that?"

I look at the several items on the conveyer and say, "No, that's okay, I'll ballance them on my head!"

Check out girl just looks nonplussed!

they have to ask , even if you've got a trolley full of stuff
because you might have brought one of those "bag for life" things and not need a bag Smile

i saw a guy a few days ago yell for about 10 minutes and the poor checkout girl because he thought "enter quantity" meant if he left his bananas on the scanner they would be weighed , rather than that he needed to select the amount from the screen right in front of him haahhhhh

megumidesu Wrote:they have to ask , even if you've got a trolley full of stuff
because you might have brought one of those "bag for life" things and not need a bag Smile

i saw a guy a few days ago yell for about 10 minutes and the poor checkout girl because he thought "enter quantity" meant if he left his bananas on the scanner they would be weighed , rather than that he needed to select the amount from the screen right in front of him haahhhhh

Lol i can see how the "enter quantity" option could confuse some bozo, you have to press the screen more than once! and choose a number relative to the amount of items you have! and then press enter! (Soo difficult)

If i was there i would of done it for him cos the staff who should be there arent half the time, you turn around and they have disapeared.

I checked out the trolleys at Le Clerc today, and there are no special ones for the self check stuff, so I have no idea how it would work. Maybe the staff do spot checks or something. I thought about counting the stuff, but that wouldn't work, since you could double count the cheap stuff and ignore the expensive stuff.

The French are not particularly honest, so trusting people would be a bad idea.

Bloody French!

The only reason they're not getting involved in Syria is because they had a fire in their white flag factory!

The only drawback I see with self checkout counters is that a lot of them dont take coupons, even if the scanbar on the coupon is fine....it wont read it. Then you have to get the checkout caretaker to come over and put in your coupons.

Might as well just go thru the regular line.

The only way I use a self check out is if I have one or two items and nothing with electronics. Last time I tried cashing out a game and the alarm went off. I was like Wtf how embarrassing O_O

Vigilias Wrote:Bloody French!

The only reason they're not getting involved in Syria is because they had a fire in their white flag factory!

Actually they seemed fairly gung-ho this time, and then found out it was the British and Americans who were retreating. The world turned upside down.