Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sets a bad example, boy scouts
the boy scouts decision to continue to ban gays sets a bad example. They are the captive of conservative family values that dont address what parents need. after the repeal of dadt and where the work environment is today; where does their decision go to instill any social skills that will be needed later in life. Its a retreat back into the 90's and lower.

[Image: Rainbow_Neckerchief.jpg]

Having been in the boy scouts as a young teenager, and going through what I did at that time (struggling with being attracted to my guy friends) I think it would have been helpful to have some one like a scout leader that I could have gone to and talked about what was going on! But that's just my opinion.

America: Land of the Free*

*Free only applies to those who qualify.

spencer Wrote:America: Land of the Free*

*Free only applies to those who qualify.

So sad, yet so true!

im sure they must think parents dont want a gay scout master as he is surley gonna prey on the little boys - although handing them over to priests is totally acceptable Smile

matty7 Wrote:im sure they must think parents dont want a gay scout master as he is surley gonna prey on the little boys - although handing them over to priests is totally acceptable Smile

Ooo...well played sir! Well played! Smile

The silly thing is, as one girl guide (scout) from America was saying on the radio today, her sexuality never came into play at the scouts, so why is it now such an issue? By having gay and straight leaders in the ranks, they would be addressing a lot more to help these young minds towards adulthood. Their loss.

From what I remember of being in the Wolf Cubs/Scouts/Guides, it was more a time of learning to live with each other than a time of talking about and indulging in our sexual selves.

OK, maybe we did talk about sexuality, but in an informed way. I remember there was once a debate set up for the scout group that my mother was helping to oversee about sexuality, and if I remember correctly, it was about abortion, conception and contraception. The talk was given by one of the doctors who belonged to the parish.
My mum often recalled that, when I was no older than ten, after a very precise and relevant question asked by elders in the scout group, I took my thumb out of my mouth and exclaimed:"At last, something I didn't know!" which made everyone laugh out loud. I don't remember what the "new" fact was, but I daresay my mum had told me enough about the birds and the bees to be proud of herself in this context. It was probably about contraception, and the role of oestrogens, or some such like detail... something I didn't know about at such a young age.
But I felt proud that I already knew so much, and that my mum had given us the answers we needed. As for the doctor, he gave simple and realistic answers, and was unabashed about giving us the facts. Good for him! He was, as my mum called him: "a saint". She meant a good man.

I really don't know what all these hangups about sex are. Sex is life, so why can't we just explain what this life is about?

Personally, they can have their little conservative 1950's values and ugly uniforms and shove them where the sun doesn't shine; I didn't want a part of it as a child and I certainly don't want a part of it now.

The whole thing is one giant joke as far as I'm concerned. I do wish gays who actually WANT to be part of it for whatever reason would be accepted...but I think the gay kids and counselors could do a lot better than to spend time with these losers.

We don't have boy scouts here...

we have a boys club and girls club, during the day for kids not in school [summer break,etc] and they do arts and crafts and stuff.

Though generally, anyone's permitted, even feminine boys I've noticed, but it's when they get to be in their teens, that it becomes a problem... I know personally.

It's sad really, but unfortunately that's how it is. It should be different and more accepting, but until the people in charge realize this and parent's of non-gay children realize this, it won't be...

What father wants his straight son to be "flipped" by some gay kid who might be there?... So sad, these ideologies....

theres so many dumb laws these days that societys like the scouts etc basically panic and see some sort of law suit coming so they just exclude anyone they deem different lol ... a work friend who retired a couple of years ago has taken teenage soccer clubs training for a silly amount of years was suddenly told by the football authorities that a trainer is never allowed to touch a child - thus ,, if a child break his leg he can do nothing but phone an abulance - he was a qualified first aider for 40 + years . do gooders gone mad