Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
... that happens to be gay
I've noticed the phrase "... that happens to be gay" to be tacked on a the end of personal descriptions on gay dating sites. Since I've only dates one guy "... that happens to be gay" (and he turned out to be an arsehole) I don't want to have that colour my view on what that particular expression means.

Could someone enlighten me because it seems to be used euphemistically?

Well when something HAPpens it means that it's a bit random...
HAP is 'randomness' which, if it is good HAP, makes you HAPPY, and if it's bad, makes you UNHAPPY (that's when there is a MisHAP= a negative occurence of HAPpenstance = an accident). HAP also occurs in PerHAPs showing that it's something that might or might not occur. What I think people mean in this instance is that it's just one of those random things that happen to people: being gay... not something that they planned on being, or worked at to be. Maybe they view this as being UnHAPpy circumstances, or maybe HAPpy circumstances, or maybe just a random thing in life.
That's my take. Confusedmile:

Basically people who put that are so insistent that it doesn't define them as a person they use it to define themselves as a person, making them appear arrogant and one-dimensional Wink

sox-and-the-city Wrote:Basically people who put that are so insistent that it doesn't define them as a person they use it to define themselves as a person, making them appear arrogant and one-dimensional Wink

Okay... Sounds like the guy that I went on a couple of dates with. He also described himself as a "homophobic homosexual". :frown:

colinmackay Wrote:Okay... Sounds like the guy that I went on a couple of dates with. He also described himself as a "homophobic homosexual". :frown:

Thats very sad Saeek

i think that happens when your afraid what other guys might think of you so u become homophobic not wanting to be with gay guys but you still like guys but yea....

Something like that, Moo, you're probably right... Well observed for someone so young...

Moo Freeman Wrote:i think that happens when your afraid what other guys might think of you so u become homophobic not wanting to be with gay guys but you still like guys but yea....

Yup... He became quite obsessive when he discovered that I work with someone he knows but is not out to. He became quite agitated by the thought that I might out him. (Incidentally, that is something I'd never do)

Personally, I think that if I had a friend that didn't accept I was gay they wouldn't be a friend for much longer. As I was coming out I actually contemplated before each conversation that this may be the last conversation I might have with this person. I was so relieved that it never came to pass.