Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
we ARE NOT ten percent
Sceak Wrote:Actually I believe 10% had homosexual experiences, 1% are homosexual.

That actually makes more sense.

As a foot note I would probably put the 'experimented' figure slightly higher. A lot of straights, expecially guys, wouldn't admit to having a same sex experimentation when they were kids.

Just based on how many men I have met in mt lifetime and the precentage of those men with whom I went on to have sex with, I thought 10% sounded kinda LOW...:tongue:

if they dont identify as gay you cant date them

when the numbers are so low i dont think the population will ever get to 10% soon
the 10% number was from research done about 1950.

thats because they didn't have calculators in the 1950's and were limited to an abacus or fingers Smile

i think Alfred Kinsey pulled the 10% out of their ass's

I saw articles about a year ago on this and was suprized how small the numbers were then. Probably true, I never saw any recent papers refuting the findings.

Kinsey didn't pull the number out of his ass, the study was just flawed methodologically since it had serious problems with sample bias. His figures were drawn from volunteers willing to talk about their sexual experiences, so he likely attracted more gay volunteers than would be represented by the general population. Also, a lot of his volunteers were prostitutes and former prison inmates, the rest were pretty much white upper middle class college students.

Edit: Better studies have found that homosexual experiences are incredibly common in the general population, but that the LGBT community is somewhere between 3-5%. With the gay population being closer to 1% and bisexuals outnumbering gays 2:1. Lesbians are even less common, but bisexual women outnumber gay or bisexual men if I remember correctly.

There are other demographic figures too, like gay migration, that cause certain cities to have a higher proportion of gay people than the general population.

I think its important to understand who we are, at least the latest theories.

another aspect is the straight population over estimates the gay population to 20-30%

Does this study account married men who like to wonder?

I don't think you'll ever find a truly effective study on Sexual Preference for one simple reason. It can't be objectively measured, so in any study you are relying on study participants to be honest about a socially unacceptable subject. That right there eliminates a HUGE percentage of honest respondents. Unless homosexuality becomes more socially acceptable you will never be able to find enough honest people to respond to a study on sexuality.
Richard

WHAAAAAAT?! lol. Are you guys serious? In my opinion, wayyyy over 10% of the population is gay/bisexual or whatever. May be cause I'm from Canada, but if you think about it, AT LEAST one out of 10 people is at least bi or, to the least, curious/open. To go and say that only 1% of the population is gay seems completely ridiculous to me! 1 out of every 100 people? No way! When I saw the name of the thread I thought people were going to go on about how we're MORE than 10%, not LESS! Woahhhhh!! I definitely think we are way way more than that and that 10% is a minimum!

Ps: Didn't mean to offend people with different opinions here, just read my reaction with a tone of surprise lol