Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages?
I think since Asian languages use an entirely different alphabetic of pictures and such and the languages don't sound as...similar to ours I guess....That makes it seem more difficult.

The funny thing is after taking Japanese for four years I can tell you even though there's three alphabets it's WAY easier than English. It's impossible to spell a word wrong because every word spells exactly as it sounds. Each character is a syllable rather than a letter I guess. The sentence structure at a basic level is even simpler than English. You can often use one, two, or three words and have a complete colloquial sentence. That doesn't happen tooo often in English at least not in the way I'm thinking about it.

In school a lot of people would be like OMG WRITE MY NAME IN JAPANESE and I'd you know Japanify their name and they wouldn't believe me that it was there name in Japanese and then I'd have to explain how actually simple it is thanks to the foreign-language alphabet so it's really not so fancy~ to have your name written in Japanese at least to me...then when they ask me to pronounce it I always get a look of dissapointment because it really just...their name with Japanese syllables so it doesn't sound all that different than in English.

I think Chinese would be pretty hard because of how much you have to pay attention to the sound of words and since the alphabet is all kanji that would be difficult for me to get through so I can see Chinese being kinda hard to learn. But I imagine if I actually found a teacher and dedicated time to it I imagine it wouldn't be as hard as I think.

I think people don't realize languages seem impossible because you're not being taught it..of course that doesn't mean any or all are easy..but honestly...English is a thousand hundred times harder than Japanese.

Oh and when I was Japan some guy selling...nuts...was trying to sell us some and he was English. We responded back in Japanese and he got all excited and gave us a large bag of nuts for the price of one. My Japanese teacher told me that it used to be believed that it was impossible for someone who couldn't speak Japanese to ever learn it and I guess maybe even if people today know that's impossible the mentality is still there subconsciously?

But it also could be that most people at least here in America learn either French or Spanish maybe German so it's not often someone decides to learn an Asian language.

Messages In This Thread
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages? - by GossamerMoon - 09-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages? - by GossamerMoon - 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages? - by spencer - 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM