Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages?
Personally, I had a prejudice of white people alot growing up, in regards to trying to "act black" or speak in our Bermudian accent, as I thought only Black people could act black and only Black Bermudians could speak with the accent, because that's what was represented when I was growing up. I wasn't integrated with a whole lot of white kids and the ones that were there acted generically "White" and didn't speak with our accent.

So when I saw Eminem "acting black", I was immediately disenchanted with him as a person because he wasn't "acting" his colour, which is White. But then as I grew up, I saw the diversity in people and that it's not so bad and when I learned of Eminem's past and what not, I began to see why he was the way he was/is.

I mean, I don't like when a White person tries to overtly make a pretense as being Black, despite being raised differently, only because it's cooler than how they are generally and Ethnically. Because I believe everyone is unique and shouldn't have to try to be something else.

Which is why I sort of have a problem with White people obsessing over getting Tans and what not, but that's a whole different story.

As a Bermudian, I'm very proud of my Culture and I hate seeing on T.V a person raised Bermy, being something else, such as Politicians, because they change their accent to make it sound less Bermudian. Similar to the Jamaican Politicians who often drop their Patois[which is something I love and have heard a lot growing up], so that they sound less Jamaican, however more understandable they become to non-Jamaicans/non-Carribean people[who speak english].

So for me, I can see why it's alittle weird, because when I run into White Bermudians who speak with our accent, it throws me for a spin, because 9/10 of the white people here have little to no Bermudian accent, even if they were born here. Majoritively due to the fact that their parents don't speak with one and that they go to private schools, which hardly any Black Bermudians can afford to go to.

But I've come to accept that diversity can exist, so long as it isn't blatantly forced for the purpose of becoming something they're obviously not.

I had to learn this the hard way being Biracial and have now become comfortable in being "inbetween" two cultures and races.

Messages In This Thread
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages? - by GossamerMoon - 09-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages? - by GossamerMoon - 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages? - by Sylph - 09-18-2012, 04:19 AM