Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay... disabled.. never been on a date, but would like to. Any suggestions?
I met my guy on a dating site, so I'm very pro-online dating Smile

I was pretty much on a mass profile-deleting spree when he messaged me as I'd had quite a number of frogs (and whatever's worse that frogs...). He started out stating that he was looking to be friends, and I put him through the wringer badly at the beginning. Eventually he came around and told me about his disabilities, and I did have a long hard thought about dating someone who was not able-bodied like me. Was I against it? Absolutely not, but I think I may have thought it would only ever happen in TV land or something. I took a chance and jumped head first into it when we met finally (he was a couple cities away and neither of us drove/drive so it was like we were worlds apart), and two years and some change later we are engaged.

He's told me so many stories about how it was like for him growing up and coming to terms with having disabilities since birth, and how it was coming to terms with being gay on top of that. He had come out ages before me and didn't think that a relationship was possible for him. Then he himself had some frogs... and had friends that pushed him back out into the dating pool.

I guess I am really just trying to say that it WILL happen if you keep plugging away. My best luck was when I was starting looking for friends first. I wouldn't even exchange numbers or messenger handles until I got to know them through loads of emails first. In a way I feel it's more romantic that way anyways Smile

Keep us up to date on how it goes!

Messages In This Thread
Gay... disabled.. never been on a date, but would like to. Any suggestions? - by bhrc - 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM