Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He showed me his tests and his is healthy - should I be concerned still?
You might find the following sites useful:

http://www.aidsmap.com/

http://www.tht.org.uk/sexual-health/HIV-...ng-for-HIV

HIV has an incubation period of between 7 to 10 days. The term "Incubation Period" means the time between exposure and the first appearance of symptoms.

At this time, many people exposed to HIV will experience a short flue-like illness and may develop a red blotchy rash on the trunk of the body. The rash will never go further than above the chest or below the waste or on the arms, legs and face. This is known as HIV Seroconversion illness.

P.A. is quite correct in advising you to test again three months after your first test. The first test will tell you your HIV status at the time of your test the second test is a confirmatory test taken after your body has had sufficient time to respond fully to the HIV virus. The time between tests is known as the Window Period. During the Window Period an infected person may not have sufficient quantities of HIV in their blood to be detected in a test, yet is still able to transmit the virus to others.

The most common type of HIV test looks for a particular protein secreted by the CD4 and CD8 receptor cells in response to infection from HIV. There is a more sensitive test which looks for genetic materiel of HIV and this is more often used to confirm a positive result from the first type of test.

Testing too early or without taking a second test three months later may give what is known as a "False Negative" test result.

Still, I have some questions.

How well do you know this guy and how soon after you met him did you first have sex with him? I note you say it was protected sex and that he was able to show you his results from a clinic you say you know, but was this a first test or a second test taken after the window period?

Think about this. You're planning to have unprotected penetrative sex as the receptive partner (Considered to be "High Risk" activity) with a guy who feels the need to be tested regularly and who is, conveniently, able to show you his printed (presumably) test results. Why does he feel the need to keep a printed copy of his test results?

A year between tests for HIV is too long when you consider the incubation period.

Messages In This Thread
He showed me his tests and his is healthy - should I be concerned still? - by Vigilias - 11-07-2013, 04:18 AM