Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He showed me his tests and his is healthy - should I be concerned still?
If sex is a rare thing for both of you, or only inside of relationships, then chances are pretty high this one test is sufficient to demonstrate 'we are clean'. Depends. If it was the Antibody test and its been 3+ months since the last time ya'll had sex, chances are high that its accurate - go and bareback like little bears.

If you all have had sex in the past 3 months, then you got to wait until that 3 month window has closed if you are going to do the antibody test.

I have no idea how accurate these Antibody tests are now days, but back in the day there were reports of people going years after the last time they had sex testing negative with the antibody test, simply because the strain of virus they had didn't cause the body to produce enough antibodies to be seen via the tests. The virus can be there and spreadable, but the body is not responding to the virus and producing sufficient antibodies to be picked up via the test.

The alternative, which is more timely (a month) is the RNA test. Not only is it able to detect the virus at an earlier time it is actually far more accurate as it looks for the RNA signature of the virus (RNA to virus what DNA is to you).

Antibody tests ("Rapid" tests) — give a positive result based on antibodies to HIV, not the virus itself.
  • 2-8 weeks (up to 2 months) after infection, most people will have enough antibodies to test positive
  • 12 weeks (3 months) after infection, about 97% of people will have enough antibodies to test positive
Antigen tests (RNA tests) — show a positive result based on the presence of the virus. These tests are more expensive than anitbody tests, so are not offered in as many places.
  • 1-3 weeks after infection, there will be enough viral material for a positive result
Source: http://www.sfaf.org/hiv-info/testing/hiv-test-window-periods.html

Messages In This Thread
He showed me his tests and his is healthy - should I be concerned still? - by Bowyn Aerrow - 11-07-2013, 05:32 AM