Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour
Insertnamehere Wrote:That is because you (and Camfer and probably Londoner, who never replied to my earlier question btw) are commiting a folly in assuming I am talking on the same general level as you all are.

With that mistaken approach to my particular post, it is easy to see why said post will rub people the wrong way.

But, lets make one thing clear: My comment above was made entirely about autism (which is the main topic here) and nothing else. Nevermind that all of you are yammering about wheel chairs and other disabilites.

With that clear, I suppose we will now understand each other better.

Autistic people do not have accesibility but rather integration issues.

This why I don't share your comment (or rather the particular word you use), when talking about autism, nor do I see the point in all that you just said to me and also what others have talked about accesibility, physical disabilities or growing old, none of which have anything to do with autism (although they make a nice topic on their own).

Unlike a disability, that can come with an unexpected event and will probably have no solution, autism can be detected, managed and even treated to some extent. The person who is autistic doesn't have any physical limitation, they will have a harder time getting integrated into the mainstream society and its developmental demands. So, when dealing with autism, they key is to diagnose it and treat it, just like any other mental/cognitive disorder.

Is mandatory to make every attempt for that integration process to be easier when people have these disorders? Of course it is. If it wasn't my sister wouldn't have a job, for starters.

Is it nice for a supermarket branch to have a little bit of attention to potentially austistic clients? Sure, it's a nice thing..for an hour...and it ultimately fails to solve the main problem at hand.

This is vastly different than that same supermaket to come out with ramps, wider isles, preferential cashiers, etc, for people with disabilites. Because that IS solving a problem on a rather permanent basis for a person, lets say in a wheel chair, who DOES have accesibility problems.

I hope now I have made myself clear.

Since you all like to talk about physical disabilites so much I was going to say something about that, but I think I rather stay quiet and leave that opinion in the shadows. That way the oh so pious and righteous people in this forum can think freely I'm a shitty person who's against helping the disabled. I reckon passing that sort of judgement on people makes them feel good about themselves.

I get what you're saying. I got what you were saying the first time. But I still think that it's funny that you're so focused on what people should do to diagnose and try to prevent the development of autism that you won't agree with the sentiment that it's a good thing that people are making moves to help people who have these kind of sensory issues. It doesn't solve the issue of having autism but it helps create a more comfortable and less stressful space.

That's why I responded to you, not because I thought you were saying you didn't care about helping people with disabilities.

And maybe the language for all of this is different in Spanish, but in English the term accessibility is what's used when talking about this sort of thing, whether it relates to those with physical or developmental disabilities. Which is why I used it, and stand by my usage of it. Integrating people on the spectrum into broader society is important. But so is creating accessible spaces for them.

And you can brush me off as being self righteous or trying to make myself feel like a better person by working with people with disabilities. But just because someone has a different perspective on this stuff from you doesn't mean their motivations are that self indulgent.

Messages In This Thread
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by Camfer - 04-26-2016, 02:23 PM
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by Emiliano - 04-27-2016, 12:07 AM
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by Emiliano - 04-27-2016, 04:11 AM
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by Camfer - 04-27-2016, 04:35 AM
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by Emiliano - 04-27-2016, 09:27 PM
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by trywait - 04-28-2016, 05:12 AM
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by LJay - 04-28-2016, 05:19 AM
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by Emiliano - 04-28-2016, 06:48 PM
UK supermarket launches a quiet hour - by Homer - 04-30-2016, 08:17 AM