Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mental Health resources for adults
Most to all US states have some sort of county mental health. The problem is they tend to be overburdened and most doctors and therapists move to better jobs as soon as they're able so there's a lot of turnover, and of course some people get into therapy to hurt others just as you have done, or at least exploit them in one way or another, so caution is called for.

However, they're usually aware of places that the mentally ill can get together, a center of some sort. Many to most are sure to be closed at the moment due to the pandemic. But if you can get into them they will have a variety of special interest workshops, including in dealing with what you're trying to overcome. The one I've been to has special groups for LGBT in addition to those wrestling with self-hatred. While I was not impressed with what little I saw of the counseling programs, you can find people like yourself there and help each other (or hurt each other, whatever). This struck me as the most useful. (My partner and a friend gets help at a county mental health facility and I often wait for them at the local center just outside that is free, even to me, and as I have PTSD and go to a support group, which includes members there, they accept me as one of them. But other than trying some of the free programs out of curiosity I mostly play Uno with those there while I wait, though sometimes I help in the garden.)

As for me...the ONLY therapy that has ever worked for me (somewhat) is the PTSD support group in which I share with others who have it and we find inspiration in each other. A counselor only moderates it and acts as a referee. For this reason I prefer group therapy to someone with a degree counseling me.

As a final note, you should ask for a group that openly accepts LGBT (and pray you don't get a homophobe that tries to "redirect you to Jesus" or something). Otherwise, you might find yourself in a church sponsored group which typically isn't there to actually help you.
[-] The following 2 members Like Pix's post:
  • , ChadCoxRox

Messages In This Thread
Mental Health resources for adults - by Cowboy - 06-15-2020, 03:03 AM
RE: Mental Health resources for adults - by Cowboy - 06-15-2020, 04:33 AM
RE: Mental Health resources for adults - by Cowboy - 06-15-2020, 05:23 PM
RE: Mental Health resources for adults - by Pix - 06-15-2020, 04:07 AM
RE: Mental Health resources for adults - by Chase - 06-15-2020, 05:04 AM
RE: Mental Health resources for adults - by Cowboy - 06-17-2020, 01:59 AM
RE: Mental Health resources for adults - by Cowboy - 06-25-2020, 06:51 AM
RE: Mental Health resources for adults - by Cowboy - 07-01-2020, 04:02 AM