Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Peterson is a Dangerous Nutjob
About a week ago I watched a video (was one here on GS) which was fine, I didn't have any objections to it and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Except the suggested videos that followed. Now, it is probably no surprised that my political views are generally liberal. I don't consider myself far left or "radical" and I'm willing to listen to the otherside, that is as long as they present some coherent thought and don't use all caps.

Anyway, the videos I was suggested were seemingly fine such as "Arguing Over Nothing" which I think demonstrated some good points about how politicians often make vague statements if not completely empty. It's a good watch and I'll stick it here:

Of course after watching that video I started seeing this Jordan Peterson guy pop up. A video about the gender pay gap, campus protests and postmodernism...Which I knew was a bunch of right wing crap and decided I'd watch it anyway.

A lot of what this guy said seemed to make sense. That women are more agreeable and compassionate and that men were less agreeable and less compassionate than men, that men are more interested in things and women are more interested in people. That those facts, based on some studies (which ones I don't know) are the reason why that women make less money than men and went on to explain all this with more data and science. Again, I don't know what studies and how those studies were conducted...but I have a feeling I might be disappointed if I go digging into where Peterson bases his talking points on. We can dive into that later on.

He, in another video speaks about transgender people, about how he was against "C-16" which in a nutshell would have protected gender identity just as sex, religion and so on. Now, I didn't go digging into the nitty gritty about C-16 and I we can dive into that another time. The thing that got me was that he claims that what transgender activists want is the same thing as Maoism. I know a little bit of Chinese History, much thanks to SerpentZA and a couple other content creators. I watch and read up on various topics about China as I think it is bother interesting and relevant. Anyway, you're probably thinking the same thing I was thinking. What the fuck does Maoism have to do with someone being transgender. Well, digging into this it seems that Peterson feels that protecting someone's gender identity is forcing someone to use certain language and that identity politics will lead to "the death of millions" and totalitarianism.

I call bullshit on that and makes me question the rest of his views. I don't know a lot of people who are transgender, but I think the vast majority just want dignity and be able to live their life the way they want. I don't think the majority are trying to force people to say certain things, just to accept who they are. It's not hard to be respectful after all. I think similar rhetoric was used about when same sex marriage was being discussed, that it would ruin marriage and so on. The think giving people protection from discrimination is somehow an attack on heritage and traditions.

It's a bunch of nonsense and it is dangerous. Perhaps he is right about women being more agreeable and that it does contribute to the pay gap between men and women but I can tell you it isn't the full story.

You can read up more on Peterson's views and you can search around yourself. There's several reddit threads about Peterson and other people asked the same question and the discussion always devolves into the same old horse pucky, that transgender people are mentally ill. Which I call bullshit on that too. That's the crowd he caters to. That's why he's on with Dave Rubin and Lowder With Crowder and all those guys, he echos the views of the alt-right.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018...rnets-nest

https://www.thebubble.org.uk/culture/phi...1-genesis/

https://medium.com/@lindsaypereira/is-jo...4b9af13bc3

At any rate, be cautious when listening to him. If I had advice for myself for a 20 year old me, I would say to be careful about people like this. They're attractive. That's how I was more less brainwashed by the right wing crowd in my 20's. They're good at making word salad and they're good about telling you what to think and what to be outraged. I used to do work for a guy who timed races, put on triathlons and 5k and marathons and so on. He is a very right wing guy and I would ride with him and he always had stuff on like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin and all those guys. They spend two hours telling you how the rAdiCal left is destroying the country which is utter nonsense. I tell you those guys are the reason why your parents or your grandparents are so politically opposite from you. Anyway, going on a rant. At some point I began to realize what these guys really are and started thinking on my own. I don't always agree with the left and it is very easy to say stuff oh we can't afford universal healthcare. Let me tell you the US government dropped $3 Trillion, most went to bail out Wall Street, not you, not your mom and pop shop. Anyway, that's all I got for now and sorry I didn't make a deeper dive into what Peterson is selling.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Chase

Messages In This Thread
Jordan Peterson is a Dangerous Nutjob - by InbetweenDreams - 08-19-2020, 12:41 AM
RE: Jordan Peterson is a Dangerous Nutjob - by kindy64 - 08-23-2020, 04:46 PM