Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Peterson is a Dangerous Nutjob
(08-23-2020, 04:46 PM)kindy64 Wrote: The pay gap is pretty much a myth, and if you don't know that, you're in a bubble...

Roughly equal work gets roughly equal pay.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evangerstma...cc27ff46fa

..You did click the link to Payscale, right?

I also never said Peterson was wrong on the issue of the gender pay gap or his reasons why such exists. There are differences in interests between men and women, afterall you don't see many IT professionals who are women, or car mechanics...just as you don't often find male nurses, those I two things are reasonable generalizations that do happen to be true. I think his assessment is reasonable to a point. But you can't argue that women are not at a disadvantage, but I'll let you think about why that might be....

Here's the data for both controlled and uncontrolled data...

Quote:Our research shows that the uncontrolled gender pay gap, which takes the ratio of the median earnings of women to men without controlling for various compensable factors, has only decreased by $0.07 since 2015. In 2020, women make only $0.81 for every dollar a man makes.

The controlled gender pay gap, which controls for job title, years of experience, industry, location and other compensable factors, has also decreased, but only by $0.01 since 2015. Women in the controlled group make $0.98 for every $1 a man makes.

https://www.payscale.com/data/gender-pay-gap

So yay?! Women who are in the same field same everything make almost the same as men. Except I don't recall any men being terminated as a result of becoming pregnant. I have seen this sort of stuff at happen with a previous employer. So I don't think even their uncontrolled data is taking account for all things. You don't see too many guys, single, with a baby to take care of. I would presume you have been around a baby or a newborn at some point in your life? So, I should hope you are for women being able to take paid maternity leave? And I should also hope you're against this sort of discrimination in the workplace.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018...ation.html

Just so we're clear on how they put all this together, or at least what they've put here...

Quote:Uncontrolled Gender Pay Gap: Median pay for men and women are examined separately, and the difference in the median is reported as the uncontrolled gender pay gap. Variables such as years of experience and education are not controlled for. This provides a picture of the differences in wages earned by men and women in an absolute sense.

Controlled Gender Pay Gap:This is the amount that a woman earns for every dollar that a comparable man earns. That is, this is the pay difference that exists between the genders after we control for all measured compensable factors. If the controlled pay gap is $0.97, then a woman would earn 97 cents for every dollar that a man with the same employment characteristics.

https://www.payscale.com/data/gender-pay...ethodology

(08-23-2020, 04:46 PM)kindy64 Wrote: Jordan Peterson is against being forced by law to alter his language.

Are you for the government being able to compel you to speak in a certain way?

I'm not watching any more of his videos and probably heard what he had to say. Let's look at C-16, since this is what it is all about....

Not going to pull up anything fancy, just Wikipedia...

Quote:The bill is intended to protect individuals from discrimination within the sphere of federal jurisdiction and from being the targets of hate propaganda, as a consequence of their gender identity or their gender expression. The bill adds "gender identity or expression" to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination in the Canadian Human Rights Act and the list of characteristics of identifiable groups protected from hate propaganda in the Criminal Code. It also adds that evidence that an offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on a person's gender identity or expression constitutes an aggravating circumstance for a court to consider when imposing a criminal sentence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Act_to_...minal_Code

I'm not going to pretend to know Canadian laws or what civil liberties they have as they compare to the US, but they are definitely different. I suppose you don't think it is necessary to have laws against hate speech? What about civil rights? I mean it is pretty obvious those of us in the LGBTQ community are quite often discriminated against and why so many people have to stay in the closet. Perhaps you're living in a bubble?

Now, where things go off the rails for me concerning Peterson is this notion that what they (transgender activists) want is the same as Maoism and that millions will die as a result. So, either I fail to see his comparison valid and he's a nut job or there's some special language or interpretation of the law (C-16) Canada passed that I am unaware of that makes his argument valid. I don't see how referring to a transgender person as the gender they identify with an infringement on your freedom of speech, unless not being able to be prejudiced towards transgender people is what you're considering infringement. The fact that people, right wingers specifically, seem to have a problem with transgender people, or the LGBTQ community at large, is why governments have to pass laws to protect and extend civil liberties.

Quote:Jordan Peterson, a professor of psychology at the University of Toronto, criticized the bill, saying that it would compel speech. Peterson argued that the law would classify the failure to use preferred pronouns of transgender people as hate speech. According to legal experts, including law professors Brenda Cossman of the University of Toronto and Kyle Kirkup of the University of Ottawa, not using preferred pronouns would not meet legal standards for hate speech

So...yeah, Peterson is full of shit and is catering to the alt-right. If he wants to teach psychology that's fine but he can take his political agenda and shove up right up his ass if you want my opinion.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jordan Peterson is a Dangerous Nutjob - by kindy64 - 08-23-2020, 04:46 PM
RE: Jordan Peterson is a Dangerous Nutjob - by InbetweenDreams - 08-23-2020, 06:14 PM