Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you feel lonely staying alone?
(02-14-2022, 09:26 AM)BlackDice053 Wrote: Hi friend! A bit of my own experience.
I'm 27.
When I was 16, half a year I lived alone because my mom went to work in another country (she is still there, 10 years from that).
After this time I lived several years with my dad, who was absent almost all of my childhood, and we lived together for several years.
Last two to three years I lived mostly alone, because dad was absent half a time, and from this year I'm again living completely myself.

So, from what I've experienced, loneliness can be a dreadful foe for any person, it is true. And sometimes it can force some people to do all sorts of weird things. Loneliness is a feeling that walks hand in hand with existential fears, and every person copes with it as he can. But in general, the "antidote" for loneliness is to feel needed by somebody.
I had a time when I felt completely alone, broken, useless, and even started to slip into a depression-like state. Now I'm mostly fine, and the answer for me was simple - friends. Someone whom I can talk to relatively openly, and someone who can talk to me in the same manner. We ARE social creatures, after all, and communication is one of our main needs. People who can live alone without problems - most probably just have good healthy communication with people anyway.
So, try to make friends, if you don't have one, try to stay in touch with your family even if they are not around you and try not to close in yourself too much, and it will definitely be ok.
And be sure that if anytime you would desperately want to talk to somebody - there are a lot of people on this forum, who will lend a helping hand.

Thank you for your reply @BlackDice053. You have provided useful coping strategies and I find them helpful. Thank you.

(02-15-2022, 11:15 PM)seeking Wrote: I am from Asia also and spent 26 years living with my family. We were 5 in a not-so-big apartment so everyday there would be fights. I couldn't take it anymore and that was one of the reasons I came to France to study and live separately, because ironically, housing in my country is too expensive that I spend less living in France as a student than moving out in my country.

I have never felt lonely in my life, but then after living alone some time, it kicked in. Now I am in a weird state that I constantly want to go out. At first I didn't know why,  then I reflected a bit and realized that I'm actually feeling lonely. The fact that some of the friendships here in France are going downhill has made it worse.

I try to make plans and focus on completing the plans bit by bit everyday. That keeps me occupy and don't think  too much about it. But I still constantly slip into thoughts and  can't get out...still a work in progress.

Thank you for your reply @seeking. I can relate to your personal experience. Thanks for sharing.

Messages In This Thread
Do you feel lonely staying alone? - by Anonymous - 02-13-2022, 04:20 PM
RE: Do you feel lonely staying alone? - by Anonymous - 02-21-2022, 03:25 PM