Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Time, No See
Hi guys! Well, it's been quite a while since I've posted. I have stopped in and read posts pretty regularly but haven't really had a tremendous deal to share of late. It's been great seeing the forum grow and seeing new faces and opinions, likewise I've hated to see some of my old friends fade away, but such is life.
As for myself (as some may remember), my ex from 10 some odd years ago and I got back together and things couldn't be going better (well, maybe they could be going a [I]little[I] better, but I'll get to that in a moment).
First of all, I uprooted from Louisiana and we purchased a home together in Charleston SC. It's true what they say about gay couples (male couples at least) having greater disposable incomes. By combining our resources and taking advantage of the American mortgage delimina, we were able to purchase a dream of a home in a small, private island community on the cost. Our front yard over looks the ocean and our back yard is on a lake, so we have the best of both worlds in regards to the water. Our neighbors were a bit standoffish to begin with but they are starting to warm up a bit as we make improvements to the property and demonstrate our desire to be part of the community.
As some of you may remember, I had sold my restaurant and my B&B a few years ago and I was working from home for a consulting company. I have since decided to return to college (I plan to get my masters) and am only working part time now, relying primarily on my rental properties as my main source of income. When I finish school I am planning to teach high school, as I have developed a strong desire to give something back to the community by way of public service.
This coming December we are taking a trip to India. We are using a clinic there which will connect us with a surrogate so that we can have a baby.
For Valentin's Day my husband bought me a 1992 collectors edition Jaguar XJ-Series.
In most respects, I am living the life that many people dream about. In most respects....
The only complaint I have is that we don't have any friends here. Neither of us likes to go to bars, and my husband is a workaholic; he is often out of the state or out of the country on business. I don't mind that he travels in his work because he genuinely loves what he does and he is (literally) at the top of his field. Modern communications allow us to see each other via FaceTime every morning and every evening, and when he is home we are always happy to be together. Non the less, when he is away, I am lonely. I have always been a very outgoing person and enjoy the company of friends, unfortunately Charleston doesnt seem to have the kind of gay community I am accustomed to. In Louisiana, I had many friends (generally my age or older, but some younger friends as well). Now that we live here, as far as I can tell, the gay community is comprised mostly of much younger guys, and clubbing seems to be the only real gay "activity". I miss hanging out with other people, having dinner parties and going shopping with friends....but I am really at a loss as how to go about meeting people here since the gay community is so very different from what I am used to. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

Hey Beaux!.....

You answered my question (just pmed you) so I will say again I am really happy for you and congrats!!!!!! It is very nice to see you again and you are a breath of fresh air!...and CONGRATS on the baby...I wish you guys much success! (what a great VD present...WOW!:biggrinSmile

As for the friends part...I honestly am not sure how that works anymore...I think the Internet changed so many things. Most of the gay friends I/we have met in the past 10 years have all been at antique shows....I think I have more straight friends nowadays. Do they have any antique shows around Charleston? Maybe try some of the nice nightclubs? I know alot of people nowadays hate nightclubs but I always made alot of friends there and once you get invited to a party or dinner you know things will unfold and you can meet other people.

Hi Beaux, welcome back! It's always a pleasure to read happy stories. Smile

Great news Beaux. Always like to read stuff like this.

But I have to admit I'm kinda surprised by your description of gay life in Charleston. What a wonderful and beautiful city. I love the history and of course all the lovely homes downtown.

And I would think with all the design and decorating that needs to be done, that must draw some more mature and established gay men into the community, no?

Either way, congrats and best of luck.
Smile

Thx for the encouragement guys, I appreciate the input. Honestly Charleston is an awesome city, we really do love it here, maybe I just haven't found my niche. Antique shows sound like an excellent idea East (I love to shop), I will look and see what the options are here regarding antique shopping. Also, I have to agree that the Internet does seem to have changed the way people meet in general, and I can't say that I am comfortable meeting people in that way. Guess I'm a lil old fashioned that way. Lol

Welcome back and congrats on the baby.
So what names have you guy picked out?

wow, I'm jealous :biggrin: the internet is where everyone is nowadays, you could try to see if there are any meet-ups around you at meetup.com or you might just have to settle with gay-friendly straight people.

welcome back by the way Xyxwave

Well done Beaux, happy that the peices are falling into place for you and you are both happy.

I just recently bought my first home and moved in 2 weeks ago and still in the process of unpacking and getting improvement under way so I can relate to your emotions on buying a new property.

All the best Smile

Wow, Beaux! I'm so happy for you -- all awesome news! :biggrin:

You mention going back to school, have you checked out whether the school has an LGBT Center? Even though you might not be attending yet, they may have an outreach program for LGBT businesses in the area. My uni has a luncheons/meetings for business owners and a way for them to network. That's my only idea so far. :tongue:

Rainbowmum Wrote:Welcome back and congrats on the baby.
So what names have you guy picked out?

We are keeping names kinda open but if we have a girl, we are leaning towards Dorthea Marie (after both our grandmothers) and I am partial to Fadden if we have a boy (though my husband is less in favor of this name lol).