Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clubs and social anxiety
Hey guys,

I've made it no secret that I have a social anxiety issue. I've gotten over it, for the most part, but I still can't approach guys and talk to them.

I've been thinking about getting back into going to the club (a friend from online is interested in going out to have fun/hit on guys with me,) but I don't know how to overcome the social anxiety. I've only ever had one real inclination to do it, but I let myself get worked up and never did it.

Any advice?

Be very careful of mixing any drugs (including alcohol) you're offered when you're taking meds as they can interact in unexpected and harmful ways. E (also called X, or Ecstasy) is sometimes given to those who suffer social anxiety but I had 2 friends who mixed E with psyche meds and it messed them up somehow. It's been too many years and I don't recall the details but I recall one said that E works much the same way as some psyche meds which can thus either make them a lot stronger or weaker (forget which).

Pix Wrote:Be very careful of mixing any drugs (including alcohol) you're offered when you're taking meds as they can interact in unexpected and harmful ways. E (also called X, or Ecstasy) is sometimes given to those who suffer social anxiety but I had 2 friends who mixed E with psyche meds and it messed them up somehow. It's been too many years and I don't recall the details but I recall one said that E works much the same way as some psyche meds which can thus either make them a lot stronger or weaker (forget which).

Oh, I'm too paranoid to take anything extremely like Ecstasy or anything like that. I have adverse reaction to normal over-the-counter stuff, so I try to be careful with what I take.

I used meth to be more sociable. I didn't do a quarter gram, just about half of that and that gave me enough energy and confidence to go out and be 'sociable'.

It worked rather well. Aside from a few minor things like addiction.... :tongue:

The problem here is you are seeking courage in a pill, line, needle, bottle, whatever.

While a drug (or alcohol) can give you false confidence and even make you the life of the party, it isn't real. And eventually you find you need more of whatever you are taking to maintain that confidence and then you slide into addiction where you find that you are not just doing a bump, or a line to go out and be social but for other things - like you know, the sun rose today - lets celebrate with a line, bump, drink -whatever.

Are you in therapy? If not, get a therapist. There are plenty of tools a therapist can hand you and teach you to use to 'get over' a lot of stuff.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I used meth to be more sociable. I didn't do a quarter gram, just about half of that and that gave me enough energy and confidence to go out and be 'sociable'.

It worked rather well. Aside from a few minor things like addiction.... :tongue:

The problem here is you are seeking courage in a pill, line, needle, bottle, whatever.

While a drug (or alcohol) can give you false confidence and even make you the life of the party, it isn't real. And eventually you find you need more of whatever you are taking to maintain that confidence and then you slide into addiction where you find that you are not just doing a bump, or a line to go out and be social but for other things - like you know, the sun rose today - lets celebrate with a line, bump, drink -whatever.

Are you in therapy? If not, get a therapist. There are plenty of tools a therapist can hand you and teach you to use to 'get over' a lot of stuff.

I'm actually not seeking drugs to get over my social anxiety. I know nothing is likely to cure that with work. What I'm asking is for ideas/advice on how I could more easily approach guys.

I was in therapy for a while there (on and off for about two years at a gay youth center where I didn't have to pay for it,) but my cutoff date came when I turned twenty. I currently can't afford to see a therapist.

Just take the plunge, take a chance and go with a friend. If you have social anxiety Id refrain from drinking too much or doing any illegal substances, I know my friend used to have panic attacks if the music was too loud because she felt disorientated. If it makes you feel better take a group of friends so you feel more at ease.

mrk2010 Wrote:Just take the plunge, take a chance and go with a friend. If you have social anxiety Id refrain from drinking too much or doing any illegal substances, I know my friend used to have panic attacks if the music was too loud because she felt disorientated. If it makes you feel better take a group of friends so you feel more at ease.

I can't drink anyway due to the medication I'm on (and being underage and with Austin's rigorous anti-underage drinking laws, I couldn't even if I wanted to.) Drugs aren't my thing either. I mean, I smoke cigarettes sometimes, but that's it.

I'm thinking about going with a fairly outgoing gay male friend of mine (older guy, etc.) I have no problems being in the club -- it's just approaching people (even people I know) that's a problem.