Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Ocean Comes Out
For those of ya'll who've been living under a rock, something big has happened in the world of Hip-Hop, and pop culture, in general.

Recently, Frank Ocean had come out in a thank you dedication piece concerning his upcoming album on his Tumblr.

Personally, I found it extremely courageous of him to do so, and I can also appreciate the heartfelt manner in which he came out. It was modest, somber at points, and deserves respect. At some point, I even teared up reading part of the personal excerpt from his life that he decided to share with the world. It was very deep. He didn't place any emphasis on labels, and focused primarily on the first time he feel in love, which just happened to be with another man, and the complications that followed.

When this story first broke, I needed a refresher on who this music prodigy was because quite frankly (no pun intended), I never got a good grasp of his standing in the music industry, besides when his single, "", was released last year. It was a hot track, and I quickly reminisced on jamming out to it a many nights of heavy drinking, and ganja binges.

Therefore, I have done some catching up on his work, and given the greatness I've found myself walking into, I must say that I highly anticipate his soon-to-be-released album, "Channel Orange". So far, the leaked tracks he's already systematically teased us with leaves me wanting more. "" being a favorite, thus far.

Watching some of his past , I've come to understand that this man is very well-spoken, incredibly charming, and highly intelligent, which I find incredibly irresistible! It has been said that he's had previous tracks that have beat around the gay bush, and there's speculation that some of the songs on his new album will shed light some direct light on his bisexuality. I am very excited to hear what he has in store for us.

Anyhow, I think it's great that this has occurred, and seeing the support from fans, and fellow hip hop moguls. It's comforting, and somewhat surreal to see how much our culture has shifted in the "gay-debates". Although, we will always have plenty of haters to remind us that such an outdated mind-set still exists, nevertheless, times are changing, and I'm blessed to bear witness to it.

What do you think?

Is this a pivotal point in pop-culture, or am I just fanning a flam with no real significance?

I think you are fanning a flame.

No one gets up in arms and excited when a person (hip hop or not) comes out straight, why do we feel we have to make a huge deal when someone comes out gay or bi?

LGBT are seeking normalcy, part of being normal is that sexuality isn't that important, is no big deal - Straight people don't have to make announcements, have a party or go through the agony of telling people (or hiding from people) their sexual orientation.

Then why are we forced to treat our sexuality as if it is special and needs announcement, celebration, a media release?

So he is gay, or bi, or straight - that really shouldn't matter to anyone except potential lovers. I doubt you, I and other regular folk are going to have a chance with him, so do we really need to know his sexual orientation? Is it that important?

I wish we were at the point BA was talking about, but I am curious to see how this affects his sales.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

I feel he only came out for publicity. His new album or whatever comes out next week. I mean good for him but it's all for the $$$.

tbh . never heard of him but its always good to see a public face coming out in the media, think it helps everyone really - not sure if it is about the dollars as it could effect his career in a negative way in some parts of the world inc america

i think its significant he comes out:
the average joe and jill are not well informed so if they see the guy's face on an iTunes store promo, any type of publicity, that's all they let them selves read. It could go the other way, the music industry is homophobic and in the closet.

i looked, could not find anything, for the new music the other day

I would just like to Re-enforce Bowen Arrows post saying that I don't think famous or somewhat famous people coming out is a big deal. If we as a community want to be accepted by society as a community, we MUST stop acting like we're asking for special treatment. I know people don't perceive their own behavior this way but it is perceived by others that way, and people resent those that ask for special treatment.

We can't be treated as equals and as a protected class at the same time. We have to choose one or the other.
Richard

im not one to very often disagree with anyone opinion on GS,,cant think of many serious instances if any at all but i have t disagree with ardus n Bowyn Aerrow (sorry lads) i think its massively important that someone who younger people look up to come out as gay etc ,,, they can see its nothing to be shamefull for and will feel its ok for them too to say they are gay too, how many people on this board alone talk about seeing thearapists about issues arrising from accepting be gay !! if this helps young kids come out then im all for it and it will make a difference, the teen suicide thing has been a big issue latley and if this sort of high profile statement can prevent or help one person then it is a big positive

Ardus, u postyed this mate "we MUST stop acting like we're asking for special treatment" dont think were askin for this but if gay people are been killed, bullied, or pushed to suicide by anti gay parts of scociety then any help to make it more acceptable to be proud and gay then i welcome every crumb of help

matty7 Wrote:Ardus, u postyed this mate "we MUST stop acting like we're asking for special treatment" dont think were askin for this but if gay people are been killed, bullied, or pushed to suicide by anti gay parts of scociety then any help to make it more acceptable to be proud and gay then i welcome every crumb of help

I understand where you are coming from, but I look at this from the perspective of how did black people become accepted in white society. Before I continue I should say I use the term balck people not as a racial slur but because I find the term african american patronizing.
In our society black people gained acceptance by showing that they are not that different from them other than skin color.
Gay, Bi, trans gendered and other non traditional sexaully people will only gain common acceptance by showing to larger society that we are not really that different from them.
If we, we as a community; are to gain power and status in society we must stop acting like we are special.
"We are just like you, we just have sex with different people"
That, or something more snappy like that, should be our motto.
Richard

Well good for frank