Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting older
This Tuesday, December 11th, I will be turning 27 years young! In honor of that I want to hear from everyone who wants to share.

What do you think about getting older? What have been some of your worst moments and what have been your best moments? Do you fear getting older or do you embrace it?

Let us know!

I couldn't wait to turn 30. Smile I dreading my 40th. Only 8 more years to go.

I do not fear getting older, but then I do not embrace it either.

At age 40 I went from being able to read the instructions on the back of the aspirin bottle to being barely able to tell if my dog is a dog or a squirrel or other critter... I exaggerate that only slightly. My driving glasses (astigmatism) are far thinner than my reading glasses.:eek:

Also at age 40 my doctor enthusiastically told me to drop my drawers and bend over... Prostate gland exams become all the rage when you hit 40.Rolleyes

Suddenly I find myself groaning as I get into bed... there are other wonders that come with age, I won't steal the thrill of discovery from you. Wink

The hardest part is the brain doesn't think its 46, it still thinks its in its late 20's, the brain is willing but the body is unable to do a lot of things... like stay up all night and function, or get a little drunk and shake off the hang over... little things....

after being told by various doctors that my chances of living past 18 were pretty small , mostly i'm just amazed that i'm getting older at all 0_o

Emotionally if you embrace the changd you get stronger and kinder as you get older. A good combination.

Physically after 40 you loose like 10% every decade.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Suddenly I find myself groaning as I get into bed... there are other wonders that come with age, I won't steal the thrill of discovery from you. Wink

LOL that's an interesting remark. I am not there yet. Maybe... I groan getting into bed because I know how I will look like in five hours when I will be getting up :biggrin:
Ok, maybe I am there already.

I stopped thinking about my age after becoming 30. Messed up my spine around age 32. Had middle-age crisis somewhere around 36 :biggrin: Stopped looking into a mirror long time ago.
I guess if it wasn't for the spine problems, I wouldn't know about my age.

I remember where I was on my 26th Birthday. I was in a restaurant in Miami and I was thinking It's all down hill from now on. The subsequent years have confirmed that but my own personal slope has been gentle.

I knew I needed spectacles when someone at work was writing down a phone number for me and I had to ask her to write it in large characters. I am a cyclist and have never driven a car, but the bus looks increasingly attractive even for short journeys.

Another work colleague, about five years my junior, when approaching his fortieth birthday sidled up to me in a quiet moment and asked if there were any things I could tell him about being over forty. I told him with the straightest face I could manage that I hadn't had an erection since I was forty. He went absolutely ashen. So it's not all bad.

I am still of an age where I can fall over rather than "have a fall" but at the same time if I do find myself on the floor (not often) I am always looking to see if there's anything useful I could be doing while I'm down there like running a duster round the skirting boards or picking some bits out of the carpet.

What I never anticipated is having friends of the same age suffering from life threatening or degenerative diseases, I have one of each. Having led a life where probably the best I can boast is that I've been fairly harmless I can see a kind of survivors guilt coming on as I see good people suffer. That last sentence indicates the progress I have made, I speak as if it's all about me, but I have learned by this stage that it isn't.

I'm only 55, and they call that middle aged. Middle aged? Do you know anyone who's 110?

George Bernard Shaw famously said that youth is wasted on the young. Of course he was talking about physical capacities, thankfully I've still got my mental faculties. They're stealing my underwear, you know.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now, don't you?

Having declared myself "mostly harmless", I see that this my post No 42.

你幾歲?
asked my friend Fei, just earlier...
[SIZE=2]By Chinese standards, I'd be 54. By our standards I'm 53.

[/SIZE]

cardiganwearer Wrote:I remember where I was on my 26th Birthday. I was in a restaurant in Miami and I was thinking It's all down hill from now on. The subsequent years have confirmed that but my own personal slope has been gentle.

I knew I needed spectacles when someone at work was writing down a phone number for me and I had to ask her to write it in large characters. I am a cyclist and have never driven a car, but the bus looks increasingly attractive even for short journeys.

Another work colleague, about five years my junior, when approaching his fortieth birthday sidled up to me in a quiet moment and asked if there were any things I could tell him about being over forty. I told him with the straightest face I could manage that I hadn't had an erection since I was forty. He went absolutely ashen. So it's not all bad.

I am still of an age where I can fall over rather than "have a fall" but at the same time if I do find myself on the floor (not often) I am always looking to see if there's anything useful I could be doing while I'm down there like running a duster round the skirting boards or picking some bits out of the carpet.

What I never anticipated is having friends of the same age suffering from life threatening or degenerative diseases, I have one of each. Having led a life where probably the best I can boast is that I've been fairly harmless I can see a kind of survivors guilt coming on as I see good people suffer. That last sentence indicates the progress I have made, I speak as if it's all about me, but I have learned by this stage that it isn't.

I'm only 55, and they call that middle aged. Middle aged? Do you know anyone who's 110?

George Bernard Shaw famously said that youth is wasted on the young. Of course he was talking about physical capacities, thankfully I've still got my mental faculties. They're stealing my underwear, you know.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now, don't you?

OK Cardigan, You're on the wrong side of 50! Lol, so am I.

Is it the gay 'gene' to start worrying about one's age once one reaches 25 (only 25????)